Dunkirk (forthcoming in 2017)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by townsend, Aug 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. townsend

townsend Senior Member Thread Starter

Christopher Nolan (famous for, inter alia, Inception, The Dark Knight, Interstellar) new movie about 1940 evacuation of Allied troops by the British from Dunkirk, France:

First Look at Christopher Nolan's Dunkirk »

I wonder if this will be good, or a turkey.

wayne66, longdist01 and Yovra like this.
  2. cwsiggy

cwsiggy Forum Resident

Well, the cinematography looks amazing.(from what little we see) I'm thinking if this hits big, at least with critics, it will seal Nolan's place up there with the legendary directors.

aarsonbet and carrick doone like this.
  3. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

Nolan hasn't made a turkey so far....my guess it will be at least a good movie. Looking forward to some new trailers!

GodShifter likes this.
  4. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Looking forward to seeing it in 70mm close by!

5. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Nolan's movies range from very good to excellent. Wish this wasn't still a year away.

6. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Love WW2 stories. We need more on film

7. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

New trailer has just been released, very impressive too;

Thank God we have a major big-budget event movie to look forward to that isn't a comic-book movie or a sequel/prequel/reboot/remake.

Oh, and one look at that trailer should settle the whole digital vs film debate once and for all...

aarsonbet, Borgia, budwhite and 3 others like this.
  8. Geithals

Geithals Forum Resident

They could have called it "Brexit".

9. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I don't know if they really filmed in Dunkirk, but I seem to recognise some places there.

10. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I cannot see how this can be bad. Maybe not "great" but it should be, at least, good.

11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Bear in mind it has heavy, heavy digital visual effects and was digitally color-corrected. I'm not sure at this point it matters what it was shot on once it's been processed this hard.

This one was all shot on Imax and Panavision 65mm. When a movie goes out in 4 or 5 different aspect ratios, you know it had lots and lots of digital post-production involved. But having said that, the movie does look great. I just wonder if we've already seen this before with Saving Private Ryan.

12. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Another +1 re; trailer looking promising.

13. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Yeah. Maybe the script is really good? Why is it every major director must make his war movie? Great visuals, I guess. But there's only so much you can do differently. I like the war movies where you have some character who just plows through it and looks like he's having a great time, like Patton or Col. Kurtz, or the bonnie Scot who kicks a tank to get it going. I hate to say it, but the films where they half-glorify war are so much more fun.

14. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

You sure about all that? I've heard that Chris Nolan has been using very little CGI in this film, preferring everything to be in-camera... to the point of having literally hundreds of cardboard soldier figures made up instead of having digital extensions. In addition to all of that, not only does Nolan shoot on film, he finishes on film as well... no DI print, and actually photo-chemically color-time's his films in final post (your personal area of expertise, if I'm not mistaken, Marc).

Heavy digital effects and extensive post-production image manipulation or not, film has an inherent aesthetic beauty (depending, of course, on lighting, film stock, etc) that the best of digital will never better much less equal... vinyl still sounds better than CD's after all these years and nothing's going to change that anytime soon... and likewise with digital capture; compare the gorgeous 65mm film photography on the above trailer with the Rogue One footage, digitally shot on the Arri Alexa 65... the former is like a work of painted art, the latter looks like a photo-shopped print by comparison.

Just my own humble, fallible, and entirely subjective opinion for what it's worth...

showtaper likes this.
  15. Voodoo Child

Voodoo Child Just A Flea-Bit Peanut Monkey

Apart from the obvious war/beach setting I don't see any similarities with Saving Private Ryan. Different stories.

moj likes this.
  16. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Christopher doesn't make bad movies.

Should be good to excellent.

carrick doone and budwhite like this.
  17. Well, it's sort of Private Ryan in reverse: in Private Ryan, our heroes are trying to get onto the beach; in Dunkrik, they're trying to get off of the beach. Completely different!

carrick doone and Ghostworld like this.
  18. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

No mention yet of the fact that Harry Styles (from One Direction) has his debut acting performance in this? The comment section on YouTube has been taken over by quite a few fangirls freaking out about the possibility of his character dying.

Elvis died in his first film, Love Me Tender. Sinatra died in From Here to Eternity (and he got an Oscar for it). They should hope his character dies. Maybe he'll get some acting accolades. :D

(It looks good, btw.)

budwhite likes this.
  19. alexpop

Private Ryan was from a American perspective.

20. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

My initial reaction is that this looks kind of just okay. I still don't really get what it's about (other than a famous WWII battle), but I assume that will come in a later trailer. It also looks very British. I can't see it being a huge hit here in the States.

21. alexpop

He cut his long straggly hair for the part.

22. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

I'm gonna see it....even if it's the most depressing beach movie ever made... ;)

carrick doone and moj like this.
  23. Geithals

Geithals Forum Resident

I see in the trailer that it's the feckless Irish soldier (Cillian Murphy) who's cracking up while the stoic skipper heroically heads back to the beaches. I'd expect a lot of stoicism from the Brits in this film :D.

Karnak likes this.
  24. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Saw the trailer on FB, followed by all these comments about Harry Styles.

Didn't know who he was until I came to this thread!

25. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I understand they had to spend a million dollars just covering up his 2000-era tattoos in that role. :sigh:

Maybe you saw a different trailer than I did.

I also think this is a very obvious bid by Nolan to try to get nominated for an Oscar, which is something that has escaped him so far.

As far as I know, you are mistaken. It's not possible to make a period piece completely devoid of VFX in 2016 unless it took place inside one room.

Note that when you see something shot on film and are watching it on the internet, you are watching a digitally color-timed version of the project. No way to directly show film on the net, unless you put a project behind your monitor and cut a hole through.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.