Great Giant Killer Wolfsen DAC Dedicated CD player-Onkyo C-7030

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by The Beave, Jul 5, 2014.

1. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I bought a refurbished Sony Blu-ray player years ago and it's still working great.

2. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Yep, as has been mentioned earlier in this thread, the headphone out is a nice little bonus on this unit for anyone without a dedicated headphone amp. It's not amazeballs, but it is extremely good-sounding.

basie-fan likes this.
  3. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I'm about 2 years in on this cd player and still really enjoying it.

Rodant Kapoor and c-eling like this.
  4. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

I'd guess the headphone output is in line with the Wolfson DAC....?

DAC > headphones ?

5. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

DAC>headphone amp> head phones?

6. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

The 'amp' in the cd player is internal....well duh. Surely I'd think that plugging my headphones into the headphone hole in the player....benefits from the DAC right ? It would have to correct ? I mean....

So the route would be as you show ? ! :)

7. Lester Best

Lester Best Well-Known Member

Because often defective units only get a repack. They figure that it might not be defective despite the return. Plus they figure it now has a 50% chance of coming back a 2nd time. It's a crap shoot. Units with moving parts are more vulnerable. YMMV.

8. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

I've NEVER ran into defective units just getting repacked, who does that, proof please?

9. Lester Best

I did repacks decades ago, but only with working units. What proof? I've been out of the business for decades. Only an industry worker would know about it today & they don't have their own forum yet. With all the bogus BS in circulation in all fields, you'd have to be awfully naive to believe otherwise.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  10. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

I believe what I've experienced, in 40+ years of ordering, many times those were refurbs, I've NEVER got a bad refurb unit.

You're just spreading bad urban myths.

FACT: The condition of my C7030 refurb I just received (with a full 1 year warranty) speaks for itself, it arrived CLEANER and packed BETTER than the brand new one I bought 2 years ago!!!!!

And it's NOT defective, been running for 24 hours straight now, zero issues.

11. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Had a refurbished Cambridge 840C. Lasted about an hour before the faults appeared. Back it went. I feel your pain.

bluemooze likes this.
  12. Lester Best

You were lucky. Others were not so lucky. I'm gonna file this under unsolicited testimonials.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  13. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Well I think a 24/7 five day burn in is enough for my "new" refurb C-7030. No issues arose.
    I also cycled the drawer quite a few times during those 5 days.

My headphones seem to have benefited from the break in too, the bass band sounds much flatter and goes a bit deeper than when they were new.

Now, where to put it, I think I'll finally retire my office system's 1989 Sansui CDX 711, it still works fine and sounds pretty good, but it is sensitive to skipping and the desk I have it on does not help matters at all. The C-7030 is an order of magnitude better in handing vibrations, it's VERY hard to make this player skip.

FWIW:
    Looks like Accessories4less has a few refurbs left yet for $135.

ONKYO C-7030 Compact Single Disc Player »

14. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Refurbs with a one year warranty are a no brainer. If something is wrong it will likely go bad within a year.

15. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Yup, and at $134 not a big money risk. I ran if for a few days 24/7 and cycled the drawer dozens of times. I'm rearranging some stuff so I'm going to put it in place of the near 3 year old C7030 I have and run this one for the time being seeing it has a full coverage warranty for a year.

16. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

I tried to order a third 7030 from Crutchfield. Two units that I ordered a few weeks ago were defective. They cancelled my order so I'm guessing they banned me too.

17. beavis

beavis Forum Resident

Yes, the new business mantra: "The customer is always wrong."

Move on to a new dealer...plenty more from which to choose.

Jerryb likes this.
  18. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

I bought one recently as part of my second system, for the bedroom. As that, it sounds fine. Would not run it as my primary player.

19. basie-fan

basie-fan Forum Resident

Did you do an A:B comparison using the same system? In what way is your primary player better? It would be interesting to know the price point at which the Onkyo is bettered.

20. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

I ordered a 7030 on Monday. This was the fourth time in 2 weeks I ordered one. The first two were defective and the third one my order was cancelled by the seller and I was banned from the site where I bought it Crutchfield. So Monday I ordered it again from another well know online retailer and it shipped out yesterday. It was on it's way to me in Jersey. I checked tracking this morning and for whatever reason the seller requested it be returned to them. It's on it's way back to the seller! I give up. I'll stick with the Yamaha dvd player I'm using now.

21. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Try them, I got mine right away and it's PERFECT. Comes with 1 year full warranty. $134 + $8.50 shipping.

ONKYO C-7030 Compact Single Disc Player »

Jerryb likes this.
  22. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Apparently the Gods have forbid you from this unit, wow Jerry...

Jerryb likes this.
  23. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Wow. This is one of those things that sometimes happens, when it gets to the point that it's just not worth the effort to continue the pursuit. I've had this happen before with stuff, and I'll just bag it if it becomes nothing but a tedious chore to resolve.

Bottom line is that this is a good player for the money, but the more time you have to put into making the experience turn out positively, the less the experience is worth it, IMHO.

If it were me, I'd try ordering from accessories4less like GuildX700 said, but if that didn't work out, I'd move on.

Jerryb likes this.
  24. martinb4

martinb4 Forum Resident

Or you know, Amazon. Cheaper and more reliable than Crutfield imo.

Jerryb likes this.
  25. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

I'm on my fourth 7030 right now. The first one died a few months ago. I ordered another from Crutchfield. It skipped. I sent it back and they sent me a replacement, It had a dent in the side. I returned it. Crutchfield then banned me. I ordered a fourth one from ABT. That was about a month ago. It's been working perfectly until today when it started skipping badly. It's past the 30 day return period.