Rolling Stones in Mono - 2016 - Content Discussion Only (Mixes, Tracks, etc.)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Aug 11, 2016.

1. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

alchemy, 905, Hep Alien and 16 others like this.
  2. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

You're a saint. Is there a true mono "Time Is On My Side" version 2 (guitar intro)?

3. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Fold down.

4. Gez

Gez Forum Resident

Thank you, Gort - the previous thread was starting to smell funny (also reflecting a little "too many" before bedtime). My question to the various experts online here - do you think this release will sound fine to the "average" ears (55 yrs old, listening intently to everything since the age of about 8) listening through an "average" system (set of old Thiel speakers, rotel pre-amp, amp, old Rega turntable)? I have heard most everything on this set in various fidelity over the years, love most of it as music, but did not have most of it and thus have preordered this set on vinyl. Will I be disappointed, smashing each record into little pieces due to sonic deficiencies, or will the music transport me?

5. Quark1134

Quark1134 Forum Resident

My heart just sank when I read in the Soundstage Direct description
    Hopefully they've paid for more than GZ's standard frisbee in a sandpaper factory treatment.

6. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I'm hoping too.

7. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Yes, I think you will be happy with the SQ

8. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

I don't think a high-end system magically makes bad masterings sound great... or a low-end system makes amazing masterings sound horrible (at least the first few listenings, though a Crosley or other Walmart Turntable will ruin LPs after a few plays). I'm no audiophile compared to most here... but I would recommend the stereo/mono switch that's always towards the top of the hardware classifieds (I never play mono without mine!) or using a tape monitor to experience true mono however.

9. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Agreed. A subpar recording will sound badly on any system. A high end system will probably reveal more of its flaws.

10. Gez

Gez Forum Resident

Agreed, but something that I have often wondered about as I dipped my toes tentatively into audiophile waters over the years, and then withdrawn them due to price and spousal concerns :laugh: :love: - to what extent can the music overcome the sound delivery system? I think most on this thread would agree that the Stones are a great band - so should the musical performance trump all other considerations?

I do realize that many here are far more "into" the Stones in terms of collecting different variations of recordings, so perhaps that has eclipsed the sheer enjoyment of the music - although as an OCD music nerd, I recognize the symptoms.

11. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Why can they never just flat out admit that analog tapes were not used, or admit original masters not used.

12. have not had time to go thru original thread are these dedicated monos or fold downs???

13. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

A bit of both.

The only albums which are previously-unavailable-on-CD dedicated mixes are the UK Aftermath, Between the Buttons and Satanic Majesties.

Beggars has one dedicated mono mix (Sympathy), the rest fold downs.

Let it Bleed is a fold down.

Most of the earlier albums are all-mono anyway, apart from some scattered stereo Chess-recorded tracks. And the mono mixes of the Chess tracks are fold downs, no dedicated mixes there.

14. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

The only things I'd like like to see fixed from the previous remasters are these:

19th Nervous Breakdown - Original mono mix
    Heart Of Stone - Original mono mix
    Ruby Tuesday - Original mono mix

Blue Turns To Grey - Weird tape fluctuations on intro (NR mistake?)
    She Said Yeah - Weird tape fluctuations on intro (NR mistake?)
    Talkin' About You - Weird tape fluctuations on intro (NR mistake?)

Chess 12x5 tracks - many of these have tape drags at the start, I hope they don't just fold down the previous incorrect transfers

Thankfully the other major issues will hopefully be remedied with the new set, namely the stereo narrowing and NR on Aftermath and Buttons. You can use the old London CD for the stereo mix of Aftermath (and it sounds wonderful) and the stereo mix of Buttons is awful, so the mono mix will be very welcome!

15. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

A bit of both, actually.

Allow me to post Lukpac's post from the original (now closed) discussion:

"The Rolling Stones (UK) - only exists in mono.

12 x 5 - the UK tracks only exist in mono, while the Chess tracks are stereo mixes and fold-downs in mono

The Rolling Stones No. 2 - The 4 Chess tracks are stereo mixes and fold-downs in mono. Everybody Needs Somebody To Love has unique mono and stereo mixes, although the stereo has never been released digitally. Everything else has only ever been released in mono. Everybody Needs Somebody To Love is the only unique mono mix.

The Rolling Stones, Now! - The 2 Chess tracks are stereo mixes and fold-downs in mono. Heart of Stone has mono and stereo mixes. Everything else has only ever been released in mono. Heart of Stone is the only unique mono mix.

Out Of Our Heads (US) - Satisfaction and Play With Fire have been released in stereo, but the mono mixes are far more common, and neither of the wide mixes was released on the 2002 SACDs. The Last Time exists in stereo but is unreleased. Everything else has only ever been released in mono. Satisfaction an Play With Fire are the only unique mono mixes.

Out Of Our Heads (UK) - Heart of Stone has mono and stereo mixes. Everything else has only ever been released in mono. Heart of Stone is the only unique mono mix.

December's Children (And Everybody's) - Look What You've Done is a stereo mix and a fold-down in mono. Get Off Of My Cloud has been released in stereo, but the mono mix was far more common, and the stereo mix was not released on the 2002 SACDs.Get Off Of My Cloud is the only unique mono mix.

Aftermath (UK) - To my knowledge, the entire album has unique mono and stereo mixes.

Aftermath (US) - To my knowledge, the entire album is a fold-down in mono. But maybe the mono mix of Paint It Black will be substituted.

Between The Buttons (UK) - To my knowledge, the entire album has unique mono and stereo mixes except Backstreet Girl and Please Go Home (see link below).

Flowers - Have You Seen Your Mother has only been officially released in mono. Lady Jane, My Girl, Back Street Girl, and Please Go Home are fold-downs. The remaining tracks should be unique mono mixes. prof. stoned investigated here:

Rolling Stones - Flowers UK Mono Export »

Their Satanic Majesties Request - To my knowledge, the entire album has unique mono and stereo mixes.

Beggars Banquet - Entire album a fold-down except Sympathy For The Devil.

Let It Bleed - Entire album a fold-down.

Stray Cats - 19th Nervous Breakdown has a stereo mix but it is unreleased. Everything through track 17 except I've Been Loving You Too Long only exists in mono. Street Fighting Man is unique in mono. I'm not certain if the rest of tracks 18-24 are unique mono mixes or not.

True mono mixes unique to this set (not part of the 2002 remasters):

The Rolling Stones, Now!
    4. Heart Of Stone (assuming the mono version used there was a fold-down...and the version used here is actually the mono mix)

Out Of Our Heads (UK)
    10. Heart Of Stone (assuming the mono version used there was a fold-down...and the version used here is actually the mono mix)

Aftermath (UK) (whole album except Mother's Little Helper; I don't recall if Stupid Girl and Lady Jane were fold-downs on Singles Collection or not)

Aftermath (US) (depends on if it is a fold-down or not; one would assume Paint It Black would be the mono mix)

Between The Buttons (UK) (whole album except Back Street Girl and Please Go Home, which are fold-downs)

Flowers
    1. Ruby Tuesday
    3. Let’s Spend The Night Together
    5. Out Of Time
    10. Take It Or Leave It
    11. Ride On, Baby
    12. Sittin’ On A Fence

Their Satanic Majesties Request (whole album)

Beggars Banquet
    1. Sympathy For The Devil

Stray Cats
    11. I've Been Loving You Too Long
    12. The Under Assistant West Coast Promo Man (Single) (assuming it is unedited)
    15. Con Le Mie Lacrime (As Tears Go By)
    23. Honky Tonk Women

Of course, there are a number of outstanding questions, like if the correct mixes were always used, or if true mono mixes were substituted for the fold-downs originally issued on Aftermath (US) and Flowers. But that should be close to it: 3 full albums, plus roughly another album of stray tracks."

And I still say Luke and the boys who lashed all that info together deserve a knighthood or something...hell, Luke can have Keith Richards' since Keith probably wouldn't accept it anyway:laugh:

16. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

I'm very glad the mono mix of Aftermath will be readily available. That is definitely the best way to hear that album.

17. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I apologise,but right now reading everything here my verdict forget this entire campaign.What am I hoping for here?True we have not heard this but I`ll wait for all of the reviews and such.Why do I need a bunch of digital fold downs probably not mastered any better?I want this to be an essential definitive box of the Stones 60`s and it looks dismal as far as mixes and zero interesting takes.What`s the point of this for me?
    Screw the Stones reissues I`m done unless these get super mastering reviews.
    Sorry end of rant,
    & Have a happy day!:mad:

Jimmy B., goodiesguy, Gradese and 2 others like this.
  18. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

It was released this way even back in the sixties. What do you want?

19. steveharris

Convince me why I need this.No don`t bother I`m done.Forget it all for now,maybe later on depending....
    I wanted every take and unique & unreleased mix with audiophile mastering all analog where possible,Unreleased BBC ,live and outtakes/sessions/demos all in one package done right once and for all.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
  20. MHP

Regarding the the mono folds of Chess tracks: ABKCO clearly uses a different source tape of it when they want a mono output. The proof is on the "mono" re-issue EP of "Five By Five" which appears on the "Singles 1963-1965" boxed set and the stand-alone 45 vinyl from a few years back: There is no tape-drag to be found anywhere and everything goes off correctly from the beginning of each track. Secondly, the source tapes sounds excactly like the ones used on the West German cd of 12X5, which only lead me to conclude ABKCO doesn't just make folds of the stereo masters. They use the folds that was created originally.

21. MHP

No one forces you or anyone to buy anything. If you want to save the money, fine.
    It's funny how old fans always thinks reissues are aimed at them, personally.
    How about the whole new generation of potential fans which have emerged since the vinyl got it's comeback?

22. steveharris

I don`t give a crap,I don`t think anything is aimed at anybody and what do you have some marketing agenda or something?
    This seems like a missed chance,my own opinion you are all welcome to your own I have expressed mine and others who are younger.Maybe I will change my mind in coming days maybe not.:realmad:
    Kids know the difference too and will be disappointed.Everything comes full circle,except to people trying to make $$$$

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
    Jimmy B. likes this.
  23. MHP

No marketing agenda. I just observate that new generations of potential buyers are emerging, while the older ones become bitter ;)

Anyway, what 'missed chance' are you talking about? It's a mono project. They use mono tapes. What's the problem?

mikedifr0923, fuhrsy31, obi and 6 others like this.
  24. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

25. Ironbelly

Ironbelly Forum Resident

I just wonder what they will use for No.2. Because that Japanese transfer for collectible and thought of CD from 80s is less than impressive.