EVERY Billboard #1 hit discussion thread 1958-Present

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alphanguy, Jan 29, 2016.

1. sgb

sgb Senior Member

I didn't care much for the Carpenters, and I cannot remember their version of PMP at all. I accepted the Beatles' version for what it was since they covered quite a number of songs during the earlier period of their career. Always preferred the originals, though.

"Beechwood 4-5789," charting at #17 the following September, remains my favorite Marvelettes hit, especially for that subtle roughness in the lead's voice.

JonnyKidd, MaggieMac and John B Good like this.
  2. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

That gets to me, too.

sgb likes this.
  3. sgb

sgb Senior Member

If you've heard this unusual <stereo> version, you lose the roughness sensation a bit, but it sure is clean!

[​IMG]

JonnyKidd and SomeCallMeTim like this.
  4. John B Good

I have that nice cd too.

5. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

That's definitely not true. Whoever wrote that probably got confused between that very famous Belafonte recording and his rather less-famous cover of "Midnight Special' (1962), on which Dylan does appear (on harmonica). That is often cited as Dylan's first commercially-released recording, although that's also probably wrong. Carolyn Hester's 1961 album is probably Dylan's real first appearance on record.

JonnyKidd, MaggieMac and sgb like this.
  6. sgb

sgb Senior Member

JonnyKidd, MaggieMac and John B Good like this.
  7. sgb

sgb Senior Member

Thanks for clearing that up. I've always been curious about this.

JonnyKidd and Hey Vinyl Man like this.
  8. SomeCallMeTim

SomeCallMeTim Forum Resident

Starting with the Motown 25 hype and continuing through its present incarnation as a property of Universal/MCA, Motown has steadfastly claimed that the Miracles' (fronted by Smokey Robinson, one of Motown's vice presidents) "Shop Around" was its first #1 hit. While it went to #1 on the r&b charts, it stalled at #2 pop. It WAS the Motown family's first million-seller, but its first #1 was courtesy of the Marvelettes, who were quickly pushed into the background when the Supremes, after four years of trying, finally hit big in 1964.

9. sgb

sgb Senior Member

You have the knack of prodding my memory banks, and of thinking about related things... like the many Girl Groups that made it big in the early '60s. Another Motown favorite was Martha & The Vandellas (they later added Reeves to the group's name) In checking my database, it doesn't look like these gals ever made it to #1 either — "Dancing in the Street" stalled at #2, being outdone by "Baby Love" and the true monster, "Leader of the Pack." According to Casey Kasem (IIRC), The Supremes were, the first artist or group to have five #1 hits in a row. I don't recall if this was ever bettered, but I remember writing decades ago that The Kingston Trio might have been the first (only) group to have a large number of albums on Billboard at the same time. The differential here is singles versus albums, of course, and I don't know if any of these Motown females except The Supremes had much success in the album market. It was another matter with the likes of (Little) Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye and Smokey Robinson, though... oh yeah, and the Four Tops too. OMG, what a great time it was to be listening to the radio!

10. WolfSpear

WolfSpear Music Enthusiast

Yes, the Supremes were the first with five consecutive chart toppers. That record now belongs to Whitney Houston with 7 in a row.

JonnyKidd and SuprChickn77 like this.
  11. John22

John22 Forum Resident

JonnyKidd, SomeCallMeTim and sgb like this.
  12. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Well, that depends on if you tend to ignore the R&B chart.

JonnyKidd likes this.
  13. sgb

sgb Senior Member

JonnyKidd likes this.
  14. alphanguy

alphanguy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Next is "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" by the Tokens, #1 from December 18 1961 - January 12, 1962.

15. sgb

sgb Senior Member

This live version from a PBS fund raising special has almost 7 million views, and for good reason. Quite easily the original Tokens version was the most popular song among my classmates during my senior year.

16. John B Good

It was a tiny bit before when I became a serious Top 40 listener, but I quickly became acquainted with it.

I wish there was a multi-label Best of Tokens disk, and they could include the mono version of The Lion Sleeps for good measure.

It was a great song, worthy of being a hit again much later - Robert John

17. sgb

sgb Senior Member

Is there a preferred CD collection other than the 1999 Taragon release?

JonnyKidd likes this.
  18. Damiano54

Damiano54 Senior Member

Sounds great. I loved the song as a kid, but this is a real improvement over the hit version.

JonnyKidd likes this.
  19. bluejeanbaby

bluejeanbaby Forum Resident

That version by Robert John was sung by many of my friends in groups when we went walking around (as teens do/did) in my last year of school, good memories.

20. SomeCallMeTim

SomeCallMeTim Forum Resident

The Tokens would bring this same version back to the charts in 1994 (#51), when it was featured in "The Lion King." It's one of my 7-year-old niece's favorite songs, thanks to the miracle of DVD and her inexhaustible appetite for repeated viewings. I wish I could tolerate Reel 2 Real's "I Like to Move It" from "Madagascar" as well.

21. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Not surprising this fun record hit the top. Great vocals, including the female back-up. Kid appeal through the roof - I was 7 when this came out and it's still enjoyable 55 years later.

22. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

And the winners keep coming. Quite a streak here.

JonnyKidd and MaggieMac like this.
  23. MaggieMac

MaggieMac Forum Resident

I certainly remember The Lion Sleeps tonight being on the radio at this time. But my most vivid memory of it is a few years later when I was in college (67-71). It seemed that this song was always on the car radio when there were at least 4-6 of us riding somewhere, and we all sang along very loudly~!

24. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

I had the Robert John single when I was a kid (several years after it was a hit), and didn't realize it was a cover until years later.

I can take or leave "Lion" (probably just that I got burned out on it long ago), but I love their other big hit, "Tonight I Fell In Love". Their Intercourse album is a very fascinating and underappreciated outing, sort of a missing link between classic doo-wop and post-Beatles sunshine pop. Original copies fetch crazy sums on eBay, but it's available on CD (or at least has been at times).

JonnyKidd, Manapua and SomeCallMeTim like this.
  25. John B Good

The Tokens updated their own hit a few years later