Marx Bros on Blu-Ray

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Hard Panner, Jul 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hard Panner

Hard Panner Baroque Popsike & Fuzz Thread Starter

I got this from another forum:

2. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

3. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

hope they can find a better source for the second source they used in Coconuts ,and that cut up section in Horse Feathers

CusBlues likes this.
  4. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

Biased son-of-a....

CusBlues and Mal like this.
  5. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

"With a 'Hey noni noni and a ha-cha-cha!" Greatest gif ever made!!!! :p

ODIrony, CusBlues, Huck Caton and 2 others like this.
  6. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Very exciting news since I never dipped past VHS for any of those titles, and can now wait patiently for the Blu rays, knowing they're on their way.

THANK YOU !

CusBlues and Hard Panner like this.
  7. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Great news!

CusBlues likes this.
  8. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love

Let´s hope they´re region free... :shake:

CusBlues and erniebert like this.
  9. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

Great news! :cool:

CusBlues and Jarleboy like this.
  10. Myke

Universal is always region free.

Jarleboy and CusBlues like this.
  11. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

The MGM titles are already available. I saw them on a big screen here in Vermont, and they look great!

CusBlues likes this.
  12. Myke

One year later, and... :shrug:

CusBlues, longdist01 and chilinvilin like this.
  13. Myke

Criterion just announced for November.

His Masters Vice and CusBlues like this.
  14. Myke

PRE ORDER !!!!!!! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KHJKAKS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Animal Crackers:

Special Features
    Feature Commentary with Film Historian Jeffrey Vance
    Technical Information
    Run Time: 1 Hour(s) 39 Minutes
    MPAA Rating: G
    Language & Audio: English DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 Mono
    Subtitles: English SDH / French
    Picture: Widescreen / Black & White

Horse Feathers:

Special Features
    Feature Commentary with Film Critic F.X. Feeney
    Technical Information
    Run Time: 1 Hour(s) 8 Minutes
    MPAA Rating: Not Rated

Duck Soup:

Special Features
    Commentary with Film Critic/Historian Leonard Maltin and Marx Bros. Historian/Author Robert S. Bader
    Inside the NBC Vault - Today Show Interviews
    Technical Information
    Run Time: 1 Hour(s) 9 Minutes

The Cocoanuts:

Special Features
    Feature Commentary with Film Historian Anthony Slide
    Technical Information
    Run Time: 1 Hour(s) 34 Minutes

Monkey Business:

Special Features
    Commentary with Marx Bros. Historian/Author Robert S. Bader and Bill Marx
    Technical Information
    Run Time: 1 Hour(s) 18 Minutes
    Release Date: October 18, 2016
    Number of Discs: 3

Quotes posted by a Blu-ray.com member. Sources : More Universal Monsters - and Marx Bros. - Restorations Coming to Blu-ray? in Classic Horror on DVD and Blu-Ray Forum » and NitrateVille.com • View topic - MARX BROS. 4K RESTORATIONS - UNIVERSAL NEEDS YOUR HELP »

" Saw the new 4K restorations of DUCK SOUP and THE COCOANUTS tonight. DUCK SOUP looks very nice, although a tiny bit soft and grainy; this is to be expected, though, given the materials Universal had to work with. All the dirt, scratches and flicker are gone, but it still has a natural, film-like appearance.

The good sections of THE COCOANUTS are very dramatically improved over the DVD; it's like night and day. The stuff now looks even better than DUCK SOUP! The bad sections, alas, still look awful, and stick out even more against the gorgeously restored 35mm sections.

Tomorrow night is ANIMAL CRACKERS and MONKEY BUSINESS. ANIMAL CRACKERS is promoted as having over a minute of footage restored to it for the first time since the original release, so that should be a real treat. "

" Tonight I saw the new 4K restorations of ANIMAL CRACKERS and MONKEY BUSINESS. There were introduced by Universal's Peter Schade, who told the audience that the British dupe neg of ANIMAL CRACKERS that was the basis for the restoration had been chosen strictly for its image quality; they didn't realize it had a minute and a half of long-lost footage until they tried to sync up their existing audio.

The most famous censored bit is the line in the "Hooray for Captain Spaulding" song when, after Margaret Dumont sings "He is the only white man/to cover every acre", Groucho replies "I think I'll try to make her." When the line played in the 4K restoration the audience burst into applause.

Other restored bits:

*When Lilian Roth comes up to Chico saying she's been looking for him, Chico has a restored line about how she should have come looking for him last night.

*During the letter dictating scene, there's a bit where Groucho is dictating and says "Elise--no, scratch that" and Zeppo replies "You want me to scratch Elise?" (Groucho has a reply--but I've already forgotten it). Later in the scene, Zeppo is reading back the letter and reads out "Hungadunga, Hungadunga, Hungadunga, Hungadunga and McCormack. Scratch Elise." Groucho snaps "Now you've got McCormack scratching Elise!" and there's a little more back and forth.

*In the scene where Margaret Irving tries to get the painting back from Harpo and he keeps handing her newspapers, there's a restored bit where she says to him "You know what I want!" and Harpo gives a naughty smile. Shortly thereafter he smacks her on the behind with one of the papers when they start chasing each other around.

Image quality is a huge step up from the old DVD, with scratches and dirt digitally removed and flicker eliminated. It looks great, and Marx Brothers fans should be thrilled.

The improvement with MONKEY BUSINESS is not as dramatic, but it's also very handsome, much superior to what we've seen before.

I have had further dialog with the folks at Universal that are working on the restorations of the Paramount Marx films this morning and I can report the following:

1. YES, they are using the 35mm print of "Cocoanuts" that resides in the UCLA archives. So far, it is the best print known to exist. So expect a MUCH better quality Blu-Ray on that film.

2. They have located sound track elements for "Cocoanuts" that are BETTER than my original 16" soundtrack discs. So expect a much better SOUNDING Blu-Ray on that film as well as much better visuals.

3. I have given them the information that Joe Adamson supplied about the whereabouts of continuity scripts--what they do with that information is now up to them.

15. Myke

16. entropyfan

entropyfan Forum Resident

That is terrific.

Starwanderer, guy incognito and Myke like this.
  17. Myke

18. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

Good to see new commentary with these blu-rays. Looks like Monkey Business has Bill Marx (Harpo's Son?)

19. Antifrodis

Antifrodis Forum Resident

Thanks for posting. Been waiting for these. I guess we'll never see that lost Horse Feathers footage, but it's great to hear that they found a better, more complete, print of Animal Crackers. Can't wait!

20. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Yes. Horse Feathers was conspicuously, and troublingly absent from the above discussion.

21. Myke

22. Myke

23. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident

Time to sell my Silver Screen dvd collection!

Myke likes this.
  24. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

On a slightly related topic, a couple of weeks ago, I saw a revival of I'll Say She Is in NYC. It was amazing.

25. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

Is it too late to sell my old Image DVDs?

Myke likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.