New Frank Zappa Anthology ZAPPATITE Out in September

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rstamberg, Aug 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joepepitone

joepepitone Forum Resident

I'm going to buy this, ugly cover and all. I've been looking for a way to get some Zappa and this seems like a good opportunity.

2. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member Thread Starter

I kinda liked those CDs in a perverse sort of way. Didn't Jon Fishman pick "Billy The Mountain?" To me, that's hilarious.

ParloFax likes this.
  3. rstamberg

Sans the penalty tracks?
    I wish for them to go away too, but I doubt it'll happen.

4. rstamberg

Series?
    Was there more than one STRICTLY GENTEEL album?

5. rstamberg

Fair enough.
    Hey, I'm buying it, too.

6. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Couldn't they at least put the single mixes on there so diehard fans had a reason to buy it too?

ParloFax likes this.
  7. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

From JABFLA, he picked "Magdalena," and he and Larry LaLonde both picked "Dog Breath."

rstamberg likes this.
  8. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Is it confirmed we are not getting single mixes? We got those for SC, right?

9. danner

danner Forum Resident

The tracklist seems surprisingly light on early Mothers stuff. I wonder if they thought including more would be redundant with Mothermania back in print?

10. Or they view that period as having less commercial appeal (which I believe is true).

ParloFax likes this.
  11. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I think that decision is purely musical.

12. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Get somebody to add a 'super-disco' beat to "G-Spot.."... you know... for 'the kids'.
    :hide:

Ignatius likes this.
  13. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Disco Boy is one of my favorite Zappa songs.

14. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

There was Strictly Commercial as well, I think that is the other album in the series they were talking about.

15. Sternodox

Sternodox SubGenius Pope of Arkansas

Nexy thing you know they'll put out a bunch of albums containing nothing but guitar solos. Oh wait ...

showtaper and ParloFax like this.
  16. :biglaugh:

Sternodox likes this.
  17. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Or at least include the 12" disco mix of 'Dancin' Fool'! Everybody needs that!

If they're going for all the hit singles, they really should have included the 'Black Page' flexidisc.

dlokazip and ParloFax like this.
  18. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

That's on one of those "AAAFNRAAA" compilations....
    I think those are still on iTunes.....

19. danner

danner Forum Resident

I guess Have I Offended Someone kind of gets lumped into that group of comps even though it was prepared by Frank and actually includes some unique stuff. Those sort of worked as reasonable attempts to highlight other areas of his career before the deluge of increasingly tacky comps like the Cheap Thrills and Zappa Picks sets.

rstamberg likes this.
  20. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

I needledropped the flexidisc ages ago. Wonder if I still have it somewhere.

All the responses to this thread underscore a true zen saying: Zappa compilations are hard to assemble. If I was in charge, I'd make it no less than a 3-disc affair, and compile chronologically. And even then it would come up short.

Sort of agree, though I get grumpy when coerced to buy a disc to get only a couple unique tracks. That said, I would not be without that extended Dinah Moe Humm.

vince likes this.
  21. danner

danner Forum Resident

That version of "Dumb All Over" is definitive for me too.

gd0 and Pete Puma like this.
  22. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Have I Offended Someone? is still in print from Universal.

dlokazip likes this.
  23. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Yes. It is Strictly Commercial, Strictly Genteel, Cheap Thrills, Son of Cheep Thrills, and the two Zappa Picks that will never be re-released. Those were relegated to Ryko history.

rstamberg likes this.
  24. marc with a c

marc with a c Forum Resident

Make a specially priced two-fer of Strictly Commercial/Genteel and you'd have a pretty tasty entry point for newcomers.

25. marc with a c

marc with a c Forum Resident

I'm doing a long and wordy project on "the big note" using the ZFT numbering system (which could have used some serious work, but that's a different story), and I think that this is miles better than the currently available numbered "grand rights" releases. However, the catalog demands something a little better than this. More chronological, better dips into the less predictable tunes, etc. If ZFT wants to really let this music live on for new generations, it'd be better to take more chances with song picks than to go with so many "tried and true" things. While it's nice to see YAWYI here, imagine if there were more room to delve into cool stuff like "T'meshi Duween" (or however it's spelled), "The Air", "Oh No" and that "Post Industrial America" track? Really make something that flowed well, but kept you guessing as to what the next song would be like?

I mean, just imagine if the fans could vote on the tunes that newbies should hear and then that were arranged chronologically? Would probably blow some minds.

rstamberg likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.