Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Greatest Hits (vinyl) coming in July*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Vinyl Addict, May 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident Thread Starter

UK?

2. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Hmm. Not sure. Nothing on the outside sticker indicated UK pressing.

3. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Where did you order it from?

4. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Amazon.

5. izombie73

izombie73 Forum Resident

Agreed, I got mine last weekend at Fry's in Houston on a visit. $28 bucks. Playing it now an it sounds absolutely amazing!

Jam757, FashionBoy and Terry like this.
  6. izombie73

izombie73 Forum Resident

Was this answered?When I heard it and though the same thing. Maybe it's the difference between an album version or radio mix?

7. Vinyl Addict

jon9091 likes this.
  8. Rockinrob

Rockinrob Forum Resident

I bought the UK by accident from oddbanana on ebay for $24 shipped.

Awesome sound! And this surprise as well -

9. izombie73

izombie73 Forum Resident

That's not the line I remember from the radio version, or any version I have! That's what me and @Daniel Pitts where futzing over :) Thanks for posting that vid, I know it takes time to do stuff like that. At least others will hear the line in question.

Great post! :righton:

10. Rockinrob

Rockinrob Forum Resident

I'm convinced this is definitive proof our reality has merged with an alternate reality!

NunoBento and izombie73 like this.
  11. Vinyl Addict

Has anyone sent an email to see if they have an answer?

izombie73 likes this.
  12. rpc_2_uk

rpc_2_uk Forum Resident

There was already an alternative cover with the arm and the offending cigarette airbrushed out

[​IMG]

ispace and Vinyl Addict like this.
  13. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

Unreal - but these days not so surprising.

So, instead it looks like he's making that, uh, "gesture" meaning...

...you can probably figure it out.

14. rpc_2_uk

rpc_2_uk Forum Resident

Somewhere on the thread about the new Pink Floyd vinyl releases a link was posted to a German website showing upcoming vinyl releases (there was a heated debate about when the next batch of vinyl was coming out). I scrolled down the list and in December it had a Tom Petty vinyl box listed !
    I've no idea how legitimate this list is and I can't find the link on the Floyd page. Does anybody know any more details, or is this one of those things that is always in the pipeline like Neil Young archives II

Rockinrob likes this.
  15. Vinyl Addict

Hope it has Wildflowers!

16. McCool

McCool Forum Resident

According to several sources there is a vinyl reissue campaign slated for the fourth quarter of this year which will encompass nearly all of Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers' catalog. As part of the campaign "Let Me Up (I've Had Enough)" is slated to get a modern remix and there may be other additions/alterations included as well as noted already in this thread. I've also heard a fourth quarter release for the "Wildflowers" archival project.

17. rpc_2_uk

rpc_2_uk Forum Resident

If they sound as good as this Greatest Hits release I'm going to be a very poor man come Christmas time

Jam757, FashionBoy and Rockinrob like this.
  18. orbscure

orbscure Well-Known Member

I did see this in my local HMV last week, but based on the comments above, it arrived to me via Amazon UK today and I can only echo the sentiments that it sounds very nice indeed...

19. Zod

Zod Active Member

Bought a used import copy from ebay a few years ago (For under $100 before they got to currently insane prices). Unfortunately the used copy was in less than stellar shape. Got my new copy from Amazon Canada a few weeks ago, and just playing it now. It sounds great. The exact same North American tracklist I spun the crap out of as a teen in the 90s. I suppose the old used copies got expensive because of how popular this album was. For my generation it really was a big gateway into the music of Tom Petty. I don't recall another Greatest Hits album being nearly as popular back in the day.

DHamilton, lucan_g and Vinyl Addict like this.
  20. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I think I'm about to pull the trigger on this... tired of waiting for a stand alone Wildflowers to scratch my Petty itch...

500Homeruns likes this.
  21. I had the same feeling recently! I bought the Greatest Hits album Friday and have played it in it's entirety twice. Great sound and great content. The sound quality on the last two tracks is especially stellar. I grew up with my dad listening to this cd and "full moon fever" cd and it's great to hear this one done well!

Rickchick likes this.
  22. Anyone think that the fade of "Mary Jane" was a little different as well? I noticed the different lyric but to me I thought the fade sounded different too... unfortunately I don't have the cd to check.

It may be the same - I may just want it to be different, ha!

23. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

I think only one version of MJLD exists...

24. FashionBoy

FashionBoy Forum Resident

Yes it's a different version! Very cool to have.

DHamilton likes this.
  25. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

What's different about it? Compared to the version we know and love...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.