How's the customer service from your cable or satellite provider?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by PaulKTF, May 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Really!?! We have friends that have DirecTV with a new improved box and remote control. The remote is rather hideous to use; something out of the '80's. And it takes a lifetime for the channels to engage while channel surfing. No way!!!

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  2. Joseph.McClure

Joseph.McClure Forum Resident

I use rabbit ears and gets a bunch of channels for free. Great way to save $75 - $100 a month.

3. audiomixer

A "bunch" of what type of channels? :waiting:

4. Joseph.McClure

I have a life and don't spend hours watching TV.

Display
    Channel

Digital
    Channel
    Call Sign Network Nickname Hours Notes
    WLEX-TV
    LEXINGTON, KY
    18-1 39.1 WLEX-TV NBC "LEX 18"
    18-2 39.2 MeTV Me-TV

18-3 39.3 Bounce TV

WKYT-TV LEXINGTON, KY
    27-1 36.3 WKYT-HD CBS "27 WKYT"
    27-2 36.4 CWKYT CW "CW KYT"
    27-3 36.5 RADAR Radar "27 First Alert Radar"
    WTVQ-DT LEXINGTON, KY
    36-1 40.1 WTVQ-1 ABC "WTVQ-36"
    36-2 40.2 WTVQ-2 MyN "My TVQ 2"
    36-3 40.3 WTVQ-3 Justice Network

36-4 40.4 LAFF TV Laff

36-5 40.5 Escape

36-6 40.6 Antenna TV

WKMR MOREHEAD, KY
    38-1 15.3 KET PBS "KET"
    38-2 15.4 KET2 PBS Encore "KET2"
    38-3 15.5 KET KY Kentucky Channel "KET KY"
    WKLE LEXINGTON, KY
    46-1 42.3 KET PBS "KET"
    46-2 42.4 KET2 PBS Encore "KET2"
    46-3 42.5 KET KY Kentucky Channel "KET KY"
    WKON OWENTON, KY
    52-1 44.3 KET PBS "KET"
    52-2 44.4 KET2 PBS Encore "KET2"
    52-3 44.5 KET KY Kentucky Channel "KET KY"
    WDKY-TV DANVILLE, KY
    56-1 31.3 WDKY-DT FOX "Fox 56"
    56-2 31.4 Cool TV Comet TV

56-3 31.5 Grit

WLJC-TV BEATTYVILLE, KY
    65-1 7.1 WLJC-DT Religious

WUPX-TV MOREHEAD, KY
    67-1 21.3 ION ION

67-2 21.4 qubo Qubo

67-3 21.5 IONLife ION Life

67-4 21.6 ShopTV Infomercials

67-5 21.7 QVC QVC

67-6 21.8 HSN HSN

5. boyjohn

boyjohn Senior Member

With Time-Warner I have found that service is fine until you want to cancel or downgrade something, then it becomes a real nightmare. Also, if you just want one of the higher internet service speeds but without cable, they have raised the "retail" price up so high that it only makes sense to keep the cable anyway using some kind of "bundle".

6. audiomixer

Well, that's funny. I have a life, too. I guess we have one thing in common, because there's not much on that "free" channel line-up that interests me. :pineapple:

MikaelaArsenault and milankey like this.
  7. sirmikael

sirmikael Forum Resident

I have DirecTV, and they're fine. If anything goes wrong, their tech support department is worthless. Typical "unplug, plug it back it, oh, well we'll send someone out next week between 9AM and 2PM" business. But it works most of the time, and I'm not under contract, so I have leverage against them.

8. Is this a trick question? :tiphat:

9. socorro

socorro Forum Resident

I have Comcast and I'm not a fan of their customer service. Between the user-unfriendly phone tree and getting passed and put on hold, I know I have to budget at least an hour for anything technical.

What really gets me fuming is when a bunch of people try to fix a problem, and the fourth one tells me it can't be done for very specific and inflexible reasons (e.g., my set top box does not have the correct jacks). Information it would have been nice to have two hours earlier.

10. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Years back, I would go to somebody's house, and that was exactly what I found. I thought no way!

The remotes that we use don't appear to be anything unusual, unless you don't like the color or something? You can set the TV codes into the Sat remote and turn the TV on and off, change the volume.

We started off (I run a 20-unit motel on Fort Lauderdale Beach), with their regular boxes. Because, they had a deal with Showtime going at the time. If I took a two year subscription, they would cover the 2/3's the cost of the $75 box. That is what I did. As the boxes died, I would replace them with the smaller Hi-Def boxes for $100 each. The only thing that gets under my skin is, the new boxes come with a whole 90-day warranty. What is that all about? As a consumer, I don't personally own any products, or would think of purchasing any product with less than a 1-year warranty.

As to changing the channels, you can directly access any channel, you can create a custom list to display what channels you want to display in the channel guide. By pressing the channel up/down button, you can go to the next channel in the guide or the previous channel. There is noticeable delay in changing the channels.

11. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

Use the customer service chat feature on their webpage. It's the best way to get something figured out. I have Comcast as well, and trying to get someone on the phone is nightmare!

12. audiomixer

I hear what you're saying. I do not like the new remote at all, however. It has tiny push up & down buttons for channel & volume; a real deal breaker for me.

13. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

I hate Comcast now. :mad: They dropped COZI TV and they replaced it with religious programming. :realmad:

14. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

I have Dish Network. Doesn't anyone else have that?
    Anyways, I would dump it and just watch antenna tv except I like to watch baseball games.

15. SandAndGlass

You have a different remote than I do.

[​IMG]

Here is the remote that we use at the motel. It is the same one that they use for home service, both on the old box and the newer Hi-Def boxes.

It fits nicely in your hand, the volume and channel selector buttons are rocker type buttons, 6/8 of an inch in length. The remote is 8" tall and 2 1/4" wide across the top. They can be seen/purchased through Best Buy for $24.99 each.

16. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

The Comcast service reps in the Philippines can solve any problems whatsoever, but are very polite.

17. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Involuntarily switched over to Frontier after they bought out Verizon in several states. The service is only "ok". Maybe a little worse than Verizon but it's manageable. The problem is there's few good alternatives to Frontier available. They've got you over the barrel.

18. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

You wouldn't with those channels.

19. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Agreed - I was actually very happy with the chat service, although it was a bit of a wait.

MikaelaArsenault and Lownote30 like this.
  20. audiomixer

Nope, it's not that one!

21. Joseph.McClure

I can take the $75 per month and actually donate it to those in need and do some good in the world.

MikaelaArsenault and Metralla like this.
  22. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

Yes, I have Dish, and I've been with them for ten years. They, right now, seem to be first rate.
    I just replaced my obsolete 311 receiver with a 211k HD receiver (no charge) plus added an HD 211k
    to my basement rec room, and the installer was as good as they come. I mean, he did everything
    absolutely perfect, and everything woks perfect. And no charge.....
    Also, they gave me a promotion of HBO/Cinemax for $5.00/mo for six months. Kind of a no brainer.
    I could go on (they also have the best DVR's in the business) but all I can say, I'm extremely happy
    with Dish. Which is why I've been with them for 10 years........

MikaelaArsenault and milankey like this.
  23. SandAndGlass

Sorry, it doesn't work out for your needs. I subscribe to their Ultimate Package, HBO and Cinemax, Music Channels.

All for my guests. I do not watch TV at all. I don't even have a SAT box hooked up to my 60" TV set.

I way prefer to watch the Paid Pandora screensaver bounce around my TV screen displaying the album art for the current song being played.

24. dbsea

dbsea Forum Resident

For as much bad press as Comcast gets, I've only had positive experiences with their customer service. In the past couple of years I've contacted them to change service, move service between addresses, schedule a technician visit, and activate a cablecard. Even the more non-standard stuff like the cablecard activation went off smoothly.

MikaelaArsenault and audiomixer like this.
  25. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I haven't had a single issue with customer support ever since I told them to bite off and cancelled my account.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.