Propaganda - A Secret Wish

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lost Monkey, Jan 5, 2013.

1. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

You mean, you had this record THIS WHOLE TIME?!?!?!?!?!...
    and never heard it??
    :yikes:

fpas, Chris C and jamesc like this.
  2. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

Amazing album !!!

3. MCKSBRD

MCKSBRD Forum Resident

According to Discogs, what I bought back in the day was the US CD release from 1987. Uses are from the original cd version, including tracklisting, but plays as the vinyl.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed my listen, but kept bursting out laughing. If I was playing it when I stopped at a traffic light, I'd roll my windows up.

I have memories of creating my own version of 'Dr. Mabuse' on a Tascam 4-track when I was 15 or so. I'm not entirely sure I got the chords right. Man, I'm going to have to dig that out for a good laugh.

When I go back and listen to Morrissey and The Cure now, I can barely relate. "Robert, she dumped you and now you're trying to guilt her with passive-aggression! It's not going to work!"

4. MCKSBRD

MCKSBRD Forum Resident

Things I bought on vinyl back in the day and still haven't gotten around to playing:

'Tin Machine' s/t
    'Close To The Bone' (Thompson Twins)
    and the second Propaganda album '1234' - I bought it and the 'Heaven Give Me Words' single on the same day, and the single was everything I wasn't into. Music for girls who were into Whitney Houston and that 'Waiting For A Star To Fall' type of thing, where I was more interested in girls who dressed in black, read Penguin Classics, and had Swing Out Sister hair.

5. Krull

Krull Well-Known Member

I always liked this ZTT comp, which introduced me to Propaganda, Art of Noise, and Frankie Goes to Hollywood, as well as lesser lights Anna Pigalle, Andrew Poppy, and Instinct.

Various - I Q 6 Zang Tumb Tuum Sampled »

[​IMG]

Willowman and vince like this.
  6. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Heard the song on Miami Vice and was very intrigued and bought the cd based on that song. I can't say I love the album, but there's some great songs on here. Dream within a Dream should be used in spas in reflexology room, I find it a super relaxing track. Years ago, I had someone fluent in German translate the writing. I don't remember what she said, but it was very heavy stuff.

7. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

This finally came out on CD last year.... with BONUS TRACKS!
    I love this comp., too!

Krull likes this.
  8. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

I have a LOT of albums that I just haven't gotten around to spending quality time with yet and THIS was one of them!

9. sparkmeister

sparkmeister Forum Resident

This is one of my all time faves. I bought the 7" of Dr Mabuse (the instrumental version with the black sleeve) in a bargain bin for 50p purely because it was on the same label as FGTH. I soon got hold of the 12" and was surprised to find it had all these vocals on it. But that 12" was a life changer and is still one of my most treasured possessions.
    I own most of Propaganda's ZTT releases along with AON and FGTH.

jdjones and jsayers like this.
  10. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

Nice find. How does it sound compared to other version? And does it have the vinyl or the LP mix?

c-eling likes this.
  11. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

Full disclosure: I absolutely love this album. It's the best thing that was ever released on the ZZT label. And I also like Art Of Noise and Frankie Goes To Hollywood, so this is high praise.

I love the massive synth sound, combined with very good drumming and many interesting drum breaks. As I like instrumental music a lot, it's really fun to have those long instrumental parts in the long tracks. But the more traditional pop songs are great too, and the vocals support the ambiance of the whole album very good.

I bought the singles of Duel and P:Machinery but never bought the album until the early 90's when I got the CD. For almost 20 years I didn't know that the CD was different from the LP. This changed when I bought the 25th Anniversary version and was surprised by the analogue mixes. I like the original version of Dream Within A Dream a lot, but for Dr. Mabuse I prefer the long, integrated version.

This is the only album where I gave away my original CD and kept the remaster. My friend who got my original CD was quite surprised by it, because he only knew the LP.

Until reading this thread I didn't know that the LP version could also be found on pre-remaster CD. Maybe I have to hunt one down…

tin ears and c-eling like this.
  12. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Joost, I think I remember reading about some different early variations on compact disc, may be by region
    I have an old US Island/ZTT (not marked PDO silver) , SQ wise it sounds great, as it's a digital recording I doubt much difference between countries, only track variations
    It was thanks to this band that I discovered Die Krupps :)

Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
  13. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

I just finished my first playing of my recently-purchased Salvo 2010 remaster.
    Until now, I've only listened to domestic copies of both the album and cd. The different track order (UK) was a pleasant surprise, especially "Frozen Faces". Discogs says that "Stewart Coppland" plays drums on "Dream Within a Dream"; thats news to me.
    Two discs, with seventy-plus minutes on each? Demon deal on a superb album!

c-eling likes this.
  14. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Waiting for DVD of tv appearances /promos. Have SACD, LP , 12" first CD, AcT 3CD act old cd, Claudia Brucken solo albums on Vinyl: 12" ...underrated onetwo. Bought a VHS from a guy advertising Propaganda video in late 80s. Met him gave in money, inserted tape..sure enough it was Propaganda, but not band ..some government official thing. Ha. :)

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  15. c-eling

The old US booklet credits him as a participant, but doesn't state what track/s :)

16. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Claudia posted this on Facebook the other day:

A dream within a dream? Pleasant surprise visit by wonderful Susanne Freytag in the studio during our Brücken/Froese recording sessions a few days ago. And of course, we had a microphone around ... always ready for use

[​IMG]

reapers, tin ears, jsayers and 4 others like this.
  17. alexpop

Best drummer to come out of the punk scene.

c-eling likes this.
  18. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Copeland was never part of the punk scene. Before The Police (who were new wave in spite of a nod to punk on their first album) he played for prog rock band Curved Air.

jsayers and c-eling like this.
  19. sparkmeister

sparkmeister Forum Resident

And he recorded solo under the pseudonym Klark Kent in between Curved Air and The Police and that was more punk rock than either of those two acts, although I would categorize it as Post Punk.

20. c-eling

Genre labeling pisses me off...:D

sparkmeister likes this.
  21. alexpop

He made his name via the punk scene, before he was Sonia's boyfriend /drummer for Curved Air first uk band to have a pic disc album. But, the debut Police single sounds very punky to me ( no New Rose mind.:) ). He did alright with the Equaliser theme if I recall as well.

22. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

If the Discogs link I provided is to be believed, he plays only on "Dream Within a Dream".

c-eling likes this.
  23. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Yup, saw him with Curved Air back in 1976!

jsayers likes this.
  24. fpas

fpas Just...take it easy, man.

Loved it, since it appeared in the 80's, even more than Frankie. Probably because the musical textures, the whole atmosphere is more timeless than anything from that period. Bought a lot of different versions on CD, and SACD through the years.
    Duel (Bittersweet), the 12", is probably my all-time favorite 80's track. And I prefer that 12", because of the guitar solo at the end towards the fade-out, which almost always brings a tear in my eye. Although I would have preferred it, if someone mixed that solo a little bit more to the front of the mix, because it is buried deep in there.
    I always had a German pressing of that 12", then last year I bought a UK one, with the picture centre labels, instead of the regular Island label, and this year, on the record Fair in the Netherlands, I found a NM Japanese pressing, for 15€. (That was a good buy!)
    Love the remix combined with Jewel on Wishful Thinking too. That one, and also the 6.22 min version Jewel have a very apocalyptic quality to them, because of the epic keyboard parts at the end, combined with the screaming. It has a very depressing, and saddening quality to it, but I love it.

jsayers likes this.
  25. Angel66

Angel66 Forum Resident

This is one of the best produced pop records of the 80's. I have the US vinyl along with other 12" alternates and revisiting my Tower Records "April 86" still shrink wrapped copy in this stormy Cali weather, I have to say this is easily one of the best sounding albums in my collection. It makes me laugh how clean and spacious it sounds after all these years. Beautiful sterile lush synth washes and krautrock industrial beats...The last track "The Last Word/Strength To Dream" is a beautiful piece of music and a fitting end to this unique noir epic. A fantastic demo LP.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
    vince, tin ears, c-eling and 3 others like this.