"11/22/63" Hulu mini-series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dirwuf, Mar 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chrischerm

chrischerm Forum Resident

Does the show have the ties to Derry and IT? That was one of my favorite things about the book, that ominous feeling and the interaction with Ritchie and Beverly. A great tie into the King Character Universe.

Jeff Minn likes this.
  2. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Nope.

Vidiot and chrischerm like this.
  3. chrischerm

chrischerm Forum Resident

Well that's a bummer...

4. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Yep.

5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

There were also some subtle tie-ins to The Dark Tower, particularly the idea of the dimensional time "portals" that go from here to there. I think the TV version is basically the "Readers Digest" version of the book, cutting out a lot of detail and grossly simplifying the plot, particularly the important information about how everything changed in the past will eventually have an effect on the future. As one example, the book went into quite a lot of detail about the number of times Jake gambled using the information he knew about the future, and there were several occasions where he was threatened by the bookies -- including one case where they burned his place down. They changed this in the TV show to make that his boarding house in Maine, and it burns down for unspecified reasons (before he even starts gambling). Some of what they cut in the TV version -- like his side trip to Florida for about a year -- was understandable.

Critics of the book brought up the fact at the time that Jake could have made a lot more money if he had just invested heavily in the stock market in 1958 and then cashed out by 1960 or 1961, and nobody would've tried to break his legs. I think for dramatic purposes, King need need the potential threat of criminals out to hurt the lead character, so this was invented just as a plot device. I still say in the book, his injuries were a lot more severe, and I think they lost a lot in the translation from novel to to TV. I liked the TV show quite a bit, but I feel it was only 75% of what it could have been, given maybe another hour or two, a bigger budget, and sticking closer to the book.

alexpop, chrischerm and Michael like this.
  6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

well if you did not read the book you'd be talking a different tune...I'm glad I did not read the book first. I can see the points of all who did read it!

7. mynameistaken

mynameistaken Forum Resident

I believe there is an aside in the book where Jake says to himself "why didn't Al look at the stock market instead of sports". Also, yes in the book Jake's injuries are much more severe. I believe it takes 2-3 months for him to recover. Even still he doesn't completely recover from being knee capped and still has a limp. I can understand why they didn't make his injuries as severe for time constraints.

One difference I didn't care for at the end is that they handle Jake kill Oswald instead of the police. Because he didn't kill Oswald and he never handled the rifle, it made his story more plausible that he wasn't part of conspiracy. In the book Hosty even says mentions that he didn't pull the trigger that killed Oswald which worked in Jake's favor.

I do think they got the very end right and was true to the book. All in all, I do think this was one of the better mini-series based on King's work.

Vidiot and jriems like this.
  8. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think the overall tone was right, but that last episode felt a little rushed. I think what they probably needed was to end with the confrontation with Oswald and Oswald's death, and then deal with the aftermath in the final episode. No question, it was a fairly faithful adaptation overall. Hell, it's already 9000 times better than Under the Dumb.

mrstats likes this.
  9. mynameistaken

mynameistaken Forum Resident

I do think they should have split the last episode into two episodes. One dealing with the assignation and the other with the aftermath. That would have allowed them to introduce/expand the Green Card Man, who plays a greater part in the book.

10. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

My lady friend went to visit some pals last week and they binge-watched the series, except for the finale. She doesn't have Hulu and she really wanted to see the end. I suggested she check out Hulu for promotional offers. Sure enough, they're running a 1 month free trial period offer so she's set! I read the book and thought it was good, not great, and certainly not his best IMO. Maybe I'll give this 'trial' run a shot sometime, but with everything I'm watching, and more just around the corner that's coming, I'm gonna hold off for the time being.

11. It's nice to know there are still some honest people out there in the Internet age. :)

12. sgtmono

sgtmono Seasoned Member

goodiesguy, Myke and alexpop like this.
  13. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!

14. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Looks fantastic on Blu ray, and the 5.1 mix is really immersive, a real blind-buy treat !

15. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

Excellent , with a great final episode.

Encuentro likes this.
  16. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I watched it recently. Great mini-series! I gave Hulu's one-week trial a go. There didn't seem to be much else to watch, so I cancelled it. $7.99 to watch with ads, another $4 to watch without ads. Nah. It's not for me. If you're paying for a streaming service, you should be able to watch without ads. I understand that CBS All Access is going the same route. That's a shame.

kanakaris likes this.
  17. mrstats

mrstats Senior Member

I just finished watching the mini-series and thought it was very well done. It is much better than Under the Dome.

alexpop and MoonPool like this.
  18. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I've seen YouTube cat videos that were better than Under the Dumb.

19. mrstats

mrstats Senior Member

Well stated.

20. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

Anyone pick this up yet on DVD or BluRay?
    I don't have Hulu, but loved the book. I'm inclined to get the miniseries on DVD, as it 's just $24, as opposed to the $40 BluRay set...

21. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Why not just try the free one week trial?

sgtmono likes this.
  22. sgtmono

sgtmono Seasoned Member

That's how I was able to watch the series. :righton:

Encuentro likes this.
  23. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Me too. :)

24. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Got the DVD as I had the the correct money/change ..BD was only 2.00 more ( cheapskate, me).Nail biting climax. Love time travel movies especially set in the sixties. James Franco is sure one busy actor, he's got 15 movies lined up for 2017.

mrstats likes this.
  25. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Blu ray :

$25.41 : Amazon.com: 11.22.63: James Franco, Sarah Gadon, Cherry Jones, Lucy Fry, George MacKay, Daniel Webber, T.R. Knight, Kevin J. O'Connor, Josh Duhamel, Chris Cooper, Stephen King, J.J. Abrams, Bridget Carpenter, Bryan Burk: Movies & TV »

$25.46 : Request Rejected »

$28.97 : 11/22/63 »

Amazon has sales tax added.
    Import CDs will add shipping.
    Bull Moose adds nothing. That is the full price.

alexpop likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.