P-Mount Cartridges

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by iDigital, Aug 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Wow, I was thinking about trying one of the Grados for my own linear tracking Sony, but they're hardly getting rave reviews here...

:yikes:

2. gss

gss Forum Resident

No. I always tell myself I'll buy a Grado pmount cart, but every time I start reading about them, there's an undercurrent of confusion and unhappiness with them.

johnny q, sunspot42 and HiFi Guy like this.
  3. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

And that should never happen with a P Mount. Standardized parameters were the point of P Mount- that and easy set up. You should be able to use any P Mount cartridge in any P Mount arm. Clearly Grado went their own way- a shame. That experience was enough to put me off of Grado cartridges forever.

johnny q and sunspot42 like this.
  4. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

And if I recall, the Grados require a minimum of 1.5 grams vtf. I emailed Grado and they suggest tracking around 1.8 and chatter on the internet suggests that is where they track best. So..... T4P specs be damned!

sunspot42 likes this.
  5. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

I have a Technics SL-QD33 p-mount turntable on which the tracking force is adjustable. My Grado Black with a Grado 8MZ stylus sounds beautiful on it. :)

PhilBiker and Cronverc like this.
  6. Not having any experience with linear tracking turntables, I am under the impression that there are many "universal" carts which can be mounted in almost any type of turntable. The Shibata is a problem. I think that Shibata may be a trade mark, so manufacturers have made similar stylii under different names. Do you plan to play CD-4 discrete quad records? For this purpose, I use a Shure M24H, with it's hyperbolic stylus. I am also told that the AT440 series uses a similar Microline, linear stylus. Depending on what you want to play, first you pick out a cartridge with the frequency response you need and then you may have to go with an aftermarket stylus, like Jico.

7. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

I can tell you I had the exact same turntable. I adjusted the tracking force heavier with the Silver and tracking was horrid.

The Pinhead and johnny q like this.
  8. Cronverc

Cronverc Forum Resident

I guess some people just don't like Grado carts for whatever reason. I was using a Technics SL QD33 with Grado Green and later Grado Gold for almost nine years, never had any problems and actually liked the sound. My second turntable a linear tracker Technics SL-J33 with Grado Green still works and sounds great.

bluemooze likes this.
  9. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Whoops, meant to say Grado Gold, although I do have a Black also and it sounds great too. :)

10. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Which cartridge worked best on your SL QD33? :)

11. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

I had a standard mount Grado on a Dual 1229Q years ago, and it was phenomenal. My memory of that experience was what prompted my purchase of the Grado P Mount Silver years later. What a disappointment.

PhilBiker likes this.
  12. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

I did well with an Audio Technica. It just didn't have the magical sound that I had previously experienced with a Grado.

I've moved from that turntable years ago. Oddly enough, after Dynavector, Zu, Shure, and an Ortofon, I'm back with an Audio Technica on my current turntable and I'm extremely happy with it.

You'll notice no Grado on that list.

bluemooze likes this.
  13. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

I've got the same turntable (vintage 1989!) and am currently running an AT95e on it. It's ok but I keep thinking I can get more out of the setup with a better cart. I thought about a Grado but the reviews have been pretty mixed (including in this thread).

bluemooze and HiFi Guy like this.
  14. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

If you want a serious upgrade, check the link. I bought my Ortofon from them and they are reliable.

Ortofon X1 MCP Cartridge »

15. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Thanks for the link. :righton:

16. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

That's serious! :laugh: It just seems funny to contemplate buying a cart that is more expensive than the table was (well, not adjusting for inflation... I just used an online calculator to work out that the SLQD33 cost almost $500 in today's dollars). Thanks for the link.

17. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Forum Resident

Serious? Yep. The problem is with P Mount having gone the way of cassettes, cartridge choices are limited. Everything is either entry level or the Ortofon. Grado seems to fill the void. Unfortunately, cartridges aren't covered under money back guarantees.

18. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

Though my personal experience was not great with a Grado P-Mount cart you're not the only person I've read that loved them. P-Mount carts just like standard 1/2"mount carts are going to sound different depending on the arm and table they are mounted on. Glad that your sounds nice!

bluemooze likes this.
  19. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Has anyone here tried the Lp Gear AT95 which is fitted with a Shibata stylus? As I mentioned earlier, my concern is the aftermarket styli conforming to T4P standard. I have an At95 with a Hyper Elliptical styli and it sounds horrible - the stock Elliptical sounds better. With the HE, entire layers if instrumentation disappear.

20. morris_minor

morris_minor Vinyl addict

I'm assuming you mean their T4P Reference VS . . if so I have one I use on my Technics Sl-7 and SL-QL1 and it sounds very good to my ears. You can listen to it from this link when you've registered with p-mount.net.

johnny q likes this.
  21. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Yes, that's the one! Thanks for the link, I think I am already registered so I will check it out.

Where you able to directly compare it to anything you had installed previously?

22. morris_minor

Well, I'm currently listening to comparative rips I did with the LPGear Shibata, Technics P22 with both original boron-cantilevered stylus and Jico SAS, Sonus SPM4, Grado Red and Ortofon OMP40.

TBH all are pretty close! The OMP40 (as you would expect from its Fritz Geiger tip, and price) has a bit more air and impact. The Sonus has a lovely tonality (well, it appeals to me) - a kind of liquid mid-range and good extension at both ends. The Technics (with either tip) has lots of detail and is as neutral as they come (no bad thing, in my view). The Grado has never been a favourite; it does nothing wrong, really, but others are better in various areas. Which leaves the Shibata tipped LPGear. It's closest to the Technics, with either tip. Lots of detail, good extension, maybe lacking a bit of warmth (for me - but this is all very subjective of course) - and in my view it's very good value.

All carts were played through a Graham Slee Reflex M phono amp, which has shown the ability to extract the most from my carts, including a number of good MCs - alas not p-mounts! - (with an Elevator step up), and I used my Technics SL-QL1 turntable.

I hope this helps.

23. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

That's helpful.

I found an Audio Technica AT311EP for about $35 at Fry's last week, so on a whim decided to pick one up. Doubt it's any better than the AT cart currently on my P-Mount turntable (in fact, it's probably close to identical), but figured at that price it wouldn't hurt to score a backup. I'd try it out, but the stereo is half-disassembled as I shuffle furniture about my apartment. Maybe over the weekend...

PhilBiker likes this.
  24. morris_minor

You can hear how a p-mount handles some Quincy Jones (Tickle Toe from Birth of A Band) in the video on this page.

I was using a NOS Empire 1080LT in my eBay sourced Technics SL-QL1. To my ears it sounds quite decent . . . YMMV!

Trying to shoot a decent turntable video on a deck that needs its (somewhat scratched) lid closed had its challenges, but I hope it's watchable.

25. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Can you give an exact make/model? Thanks :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.