JBL L100's?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by 575maranello, Aug 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

1974 is the year I got the JBL 100s/AR3as. My first real speakers (Gemco white box speakers for $99.00 was my first pair.)

I loved those damn buttons.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  2. markshan

markshan Forum Resident

For $20, I can be forgiven I think.

3. Steve Hoffman

I paid $300, in 1974 dollars. A lot of kale. The $395.00 AR3as killed me for six months..

McLover likes this.
  4. $300 for jbl100s was half price then I paid a bit under $600 in 75

5. Dr. Mudd

Dr. Mudd Audient

Wasn't there a notation on "Ship Arriving Too Late" that the LP was eq'd or monitored on these? I'd dig out my copy but that might take awhile!

6. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

The AR3a is a great sounding speaker. I had good friend as a housemate in my early 20's in mid Seventies who had them in a full AR system with integrated amp and turntable. Sounded wonderful.

McLover and Steve Hoffman like this.
  7. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

I still remember the first time I heared a pair of JBL L100

After so much hype, I decided to try them

BY FAR THE BIGGEST LETDOWN WITH A PAIR OF SPEAKERS

Boxy sound, completely colored, artitificial, with boomy bass (no definition whatsoever), shrill, ear-bleeding highs, recessed mids, etc

Surely they look pretty great, but, as with Pioneer HPM 100, must be among the most overrated speakers ever

8. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Didn't the AR3's use all Alnico drivers ?

MaxxMaxx4 and Steve Hoffman like this.
  9. Tom Littlefield

Tom Littlefield Forum Resident

Those grills are pretty hideous...

10. That's the attraction for me. Those foam grills.

11. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

"This album has been engineered to sound correct on JBL 4311 speakers or an equivalent. Best results will be achieved if you set your pre-amp tone controls to the flat position with the loudness control in the off position. Before adding any treble or bass to the sound of the album, it would be advisable to check it out this way first. F.Z."

Dr. Mudd likes this.
  12. pjamstudio

pjamstudio Forum Resident

I wonder if Steve's experience was with the foam grills on or off? I have always looked at those grills and thought how much they have to be attenuating the mid and high frequencies. Wouldn't it be interesting if those grills were actually designed to flatten out the "wicked nasty peak"?

:)

MisterNines likes this.
  13. Standingstones

Standingstones Forum Resident

All I know is that I played a lot of loud rock music on those speakers in the mid to late 70s.

14. Licorice pizza

Licorice pizza Livin’ On The Fault Line

Thanks, Steve! Your advice hasn't failed me so far.

Btw, you were so on the money about The Beatles UK pressings. I only keep my Capitol versions strictly for nostalgia purposes.

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  15. OMG! That brings back memories. At a local radio station I used to hang around, KYNO 1300, the speakers in the main studio were the AR3's. Not sure if they were a's or not.
    The one problem, it was with playing "(I Know) I'm Losing You" by Rod Stewart(45 rpm single). For some reason, it fried the cross-over network in the AR3's. If I remember correctly, it was during the drum break? It happened twice, so the engineer banned the record.
    [​IMG]

Ghostworld likes this.
  16. Steve Hoffman

Hey, maybe you heard my old pair. That's the sound exactly.

17. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder :tiphat:

[​IMG]

808_state likes this.
  18. Steve Hoffman

Replacement grills, right?

That's what tempted me a little while ago, the "looks just like the real deal" new grills.

19. Yes. This pair was totally refurbished and refinished as well. I wanted my downstairs office area as sort of a retro room although I most play CDs through these. I've been enjoying these for three months now while I work. They are slightly tilted up so small wooden stands. I get that most here are not fans.

But who knows, maybe it was a mid life crisis. It was the JBLs or a 1970 Alfa Romeo. :tiphat: The JBLs were cheaper !

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
    russk, Tim 2, bhazen and 2 others like this.
  20. Steve Hoffman

I want THIS car.

jo Collins.jpg

21. Steve Hoffman

The JBL 100 grills came in BLUE, RED and also GREEN? Can't remember. Any other colors?

22. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

I got my AR3a's in December 1971 but briefly considered the L100's. Ultimately, I couldn't afford a separate set of speakers for classical and rock, so I opted for a speaker that didn't care what music I was going to play through it. Heck, what if I wanted to play rock that had strings?

McLover and Steve Hoffman like this.
  23. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Wasn't there an ugly orange grille as well?

markshan likes this.
  24. Steve Hoffman

Maybe, yes. I remember Pacific Stereo had a "deal" on the Century 100s, $299.00, the color of your choice. This was in 1974. I can't actually remember the colors. When the search engines kick in I bet a JBL expert will tell us.

25. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Good news about the JBL 100s because I did miss out on a pair of these and formerly regretted it, thanks to the info here. I don't think I'm a big JBL fan, in general. I keep picking up their L-series monitors and wind out dumping them for being shrill. However, I did hear these and still lust for a pair (though I'll never be able to afford them unless some little old lady drags them to the curb (doubtful she could drag them!).

The JBL Sovereign. I swear these sound soooo good. Of course, they were set up by a turntable master in Bangkok.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.