Voyage of Time (2016)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by masswriter, Jun 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large Thread Starter

Bryan likes this.
  2. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

As someone who loves Malick and loves the ~20 minute creation sequence in The Tree of Life: YESSSSSSSS!

Ghostworld likes this.
  3. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

That's pretty much what this looks like. It's been awhile since I've seen TOL, but until the bit with the man looking through the water, I wasn't sure this was even anything new. I'll be there in the Imax to see this for sure.

4. masswriter

early man :)

5. agentalbert

And I just saw that Malick has completed another film "Weightless". No release date yet. It's listed as 2016 at IMDB, but who knows if it will be available other than at some festivals by the end of the year.

6. masswriter

Weightless is for 2017 according to StudioCanal.

The Voyage trailer was leaked btw ...

7. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

It should be pointed out that there's supposedly going to be a longer, non-IMAX version of this movie, narrated by Cate Blanchett instead of Brad Pitt. No idea when that's coming out, though.

8. masswriter

I wish nobody was narrating this. Just visuals and music would have been great. I dread Blanchett after her overdramatizing voice in Lord of the Rings. "Morrrrdorrrrrr..."

9. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Awesome in Blue Jasmine.

10. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

I'm fine with the narration, and assume it will be minimal, plus it'll be written by Malick. However, watching it sans narration would be a nice option to have on the eventual home video release.

11. agentalbert

Yeah, it would be nice if the narration was minimal and not like some National Geographic nature program. But I don't know that an hour plus release with NO narration or dialog is a good idea.

12. masswriter

why not? why does everything have to be commodified for a general audience?

an immersive experience of visuals will compel people to learn on their own.

sgtmono likes this.
  13. masswriter

that may be, but her voice as a narrator is cringe-worthy over-dramatization.

14. sgtmono

sgtmono Seasoned Member

As long as the music is good, sure.

15. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Her American accent is not perfect.
    But, enjoyed her in Blue Jasmine.

16. agentalbert

I'd be open to it because it was Malick, but I don't think many people would. IMDB lists VOT as 90 minutes long. That is a long time to just look at pictures and music. It could be well done, but I don't think some narration will hurt. I have faith Malick will keep it from coming across like one of those Oprah narrated nature specials.

17. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

Here's the trailer for the standard theatrical release, subtitled "Life's Journey," which is ~90 minutes long and narrated by Cate Blanchett:

The previously released trailer is for the IMAX version, subtitled "The IMAX Experience," which is ~40 minutes long and narrated by Brad Pitt.

18. masswriter

I remember once I ordered I think, the Life series which I wanted narrated by David Attenborough. Instead I received the Oprah version, and man was it horrible. Lifeless, condescending and boring. What a difference good narration makes... I returned it and got the one I wanted.

chilinvilin and budwhite like this.
  19. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

You've got to be kidding!! Masswriter, you just brought the greatest news of my life. I think my dream just came true. Terrence Malick directing a full-length visually hypnotic film about time? Wow. I will drive 2-hours to the circular screen IMAX theater in LA to see this. I am so excited about this, I can't tell you. I love the transcendental in films and this is a like a dream to have happen. This is amazing! Thanks for the news! Malick is my filmic hero these days and this is the perfect marriage of my love for the transcendent and the magic of film. Damn!

(can you tell I'm excited?)

20. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Maybe the narrator isn't locked down yet. Here's the trailer with both Brad Pitt and Blanchette narrating. I have to say, she is a bit cloying from the first word out "The Paaaaast." But Brad Pitt isn't right either.

21. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

As stated earlier in the thread, there are two versions of the film.

Voyage of Time: The IMAX Experience
    ~40 minutes long
    Narrated by Brad Pitt
    Will be shown at IMAX theaters (duh) and science museums

Voyage of Time: Life's Journey
    ~90 minutes long
    Narrated by Cate Blanchett
    Will be shown at regular theaters

I've also read that the IMAX version will be more straightforward in its narrative, whereas the theatrical version will be more poetic in the typical Malick sense.

22. masswriter

Since IMAX has an exclusive contract for VoT until April 2017, it isn't likely we will be able to watch the longer version until after that. However, we do have Malick's next film. Weightless to have a U.S. theatrical release in March 2017.

23. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

Looks good. As Malick's films have become less and less narrative, this looks less of a secondary project and more like one of his regular films. I really liked Knight of Cups.

24. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

I believe both versions are being released in October. I'll see if I can find something backing that up.

25. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I will see the Imax version first and then the long version. Why I'm anticipating this is because CGI can so such amazing stuff these days that it should be visually spectacular. I got pretty bored watching Kowaniskawsi and Poyanisquatsi (sorry for spelling) but those only used natural photography. Showing the never before seen should make this amazing. I just hope the longer version doesn't linger too long on the wonders of "natural world" too long. That could make the 90 minute version dull. I think 50 minutes sounds about right!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.