JBL L100's?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by 575maranello, Aug 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

That's a nice room, by the way, very nice.

chacha likes this.
  2. Slack

Slack Forum Resident

What is it with placing speakers at knee height?Unless some of us have our ears down there?
    I guess listening in a bean bag might be OK.
    I have owned a lot of speakers in my time.The L100s stick in my mind as clearly the worst sounding.

3. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

I still prefer single woofers, but I'll never forget the first time I heard 4320's. My first studio had them, but my audio partner also had a pair in his home system when we first met. There is just something awesome about the sound of a pair of 15" woofers in a well set up system that is unforgettable.

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  4. Steve Hoffman

For making out on the floor, I guess.

BuddhaBob, Ghostworld and Mazzy like this.
  5. Well thank you. It's a work in progress. Just got some new built-in shelves for CDs on the right, but deep enough for a future of books or whatever the next big thing is..... just in case....

A view from my desk looking straight at those speakers everyone hates :tiphat:

[​IMG]

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  6. One of my music buddies came over a few weeks ago and he actually thought they sounded better when he was standing up rather than sitting down. Go figure.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  7. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

Less top end.

8. Well you're taller than I am. Taller just to spite me. :tiphat:

chacha likes this.
  9. Cerealplayer

Cerealplayer Forum Resident

Great room Mazzy, does your drum kit get a nice buzz going when you crank the stereo?

10. No it's not my main music room so any imperfections don't bother me. Plus I keep the snare from off.

Cerealplayer likes this.
  11. markshan

markshan Forum Resident

Never mind the grills, where did you get that cool stand?

12. seacliffe301

seacliffe301 Forum Resident

Absolutely. I've been using Mac & various Lansing combinations for over 30 years now. Still pleasing to my ears.
    As for the L-100's, I've got a pair of those paired with a Marantz 2270 at my cottage. Still fun.

13. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I always like the L65 Jubals too. You could get that orange color in cloth for them.

14. seacliffe301

As a teenager in 1974, there was this arcade that we all use to frequent. The owner had installed a pair of these, flown, in this arcade.
    This hi-fi was quite impressive. A pair of massive Crown power amps, Crown pre-amp, and a pair of Thorens turntables. That plus a vinyl collection that exceeded 700 or more titles. I remember joking with him about how it wouldn't be too difficult to blow the plate glass windows out of the front of his building with that rig.

But seriously, it was an impressive sounding system that left quite an impression. Just a few short years later, I picked up what were probably the poor mans interpretation of these, a pair of Altec Lansing Flamencos. A-7 components, 15'' loudspeaker with sectoral horn. Still have them to this day.
    Now they are relegated to my music/media room, but they're still alive and well as Johnny Winter used to sing.

Ghostworld likes this.
  15. 808_state

808_state ヤマハで再生中

I have a nice pair of L-100's sitting in my closet. Nice meaning that they are indeed a pleasure to look at. Anyone care to chime in about the mod(s)? Most I've talked to said it's a pretty stark difference. Anyone here actually compare the before and after?

16. The speaker stands ? On eBay

17. ronm

ronm audiofreak

AK legend Zilch said about the L100s "fake but fun" and thats how you have to take the L100.

Mazzy likes this.
  18. markshan

markshan Forum Resident

But only fun with the right records. Very not fun with the wrong ones.

McLover likes this.
  19. seacliffe301

I'm a member over there and couldn't remember the exact quote, but certainly agree with it.
    Thanks for refreshing my memory!

ronm likes this.
  20. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

You must mean the 4425. Those are my living room speakers. :(

[​IMG]

Moko likes this.
  21. Steve Hoffman

Sorry, Bigger D., but I'm sure you have the nasties tamed by using the front panel controls. At RTI they were both up full blast. Could stun fleas at 20 paces. They can be damped down nicely. Try playing some type of pink noise through them (maybe a de-tuned FM station or lead-in vinyl record surface noise or something) and use the controls to get more of a neutral flavor (no one part of the sonic spectrum should sound louder than any other). Make sure both speakers are set exactly the same way and you're good to go!

McLover, Moko, Mazzy and 1 other person like this.
  22. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

Not as long as the snare wires are disengaged, that's the trick, my Ludwig chrome snare really buzzed unless I let that tension off!

Mazzy likes this.
  23. RiCat

RiCat Forum Resident

A bit off topic...
    I was selling gear in NYC when the club scene heated up aground the opening of Studio 54 and the like. Anything that would play loud was flying out the stores. JBL had a tweeter commonly known as the bullet. A sort of mini aluminum round horn design. The clubs were burning them up at such a rate that supplies from JBL lagged behind. Prices soared but no product could be found. Then some enterprising capitalists discovered that the same device was being used by the Traffic department as ultrasonic radiators at intersections to detect traffic and coordinate traffic lite changing. The city went through a period where the lights were being disabled because the tweeters were being stolen and resold underground to the needy clubs. Eventually market demand was met by the supply chain. Free market audio capitalism at work.

Mazzy likes this.
  24. Moko

Moko Forum Resident

I have both the 4425's and a pair of the studio version of the L100 the 4311 which I modified using this crossover kit JBL L100 Century

It really does tame the brightness of the L100/4311 and leaves a nicely balanced sounding speaker with my tube amp setup.

25. Yes the snares are off. I'm not a drummer. The set was given to me by my good friends wife when he passed away. We were in bands together since we were 12.

This is a fun multi use room. Office , CDs , jamming and I love the JBLs here. I know about snare buzz. The room is not about a proper listening room but it's a fun room to work in and play around w friends.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.