Rega Announce New Planar 3 Turntable At Bristol Sound&Vision Show

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by CrazyCatz, Feb 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deniall

deniall Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BigGame likes this.
  2. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Will this be superior to the RP3 and or 6?

3. deniall

deniall Well-Known Member

I'd say it's replacing the RP3. Looks almost identical and doesn't come with a TT-PSU by the looks of it.

4. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

I believe the RP1 and RP6 will be replaced to. Would not be surprised if they replace the 8 too. I don't believe it became the success as they targeted. The foam finish is everything except hot. Looks cheap.

5. chrism1971

chrism1971 Forum Resident

I could have told them that a couple of years ago.....

6. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident

Interesting to see the real-world improvements over the RP3/303. Personally prefer the satin finish of the RP3, but it looks really slick.

I do think it would be cool if Rega offered the TTPSU as an option with the RP3/this - ie for less additional cost than unit itself.

7. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

Since the TTPSU is well known for its importance that option would kill lots of sales on RP6 which I'm sure they have better margins on.

8. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

Love my RP6

krlpuretone, Paul K and timztunz like this.
  9. Shiver

Shiver Forum Resident

Quite likely. Still you'd like to think the sonic differences between the two tables went enough beyond the PSU that they'd have confidence to offer both with it, as a package.

10. BCJaysfan

BCJaysfan Forum Resident

The first review is finally out there: Rega Planar 3/Elys 2 review | What Hi-Fi? »

Been debating whether to get this and upgrade along the way, or just bite the bullet and get an RP6. Of course if I got the RP6 they'd probably come out with a redesigned version within a year.

11. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

It's no big surprise that What hifi give 5/5 to a UK made product is it? Not saying it doesn't deserve it.. But I never trust their reviews since they are so biased.

Robert C likes this.
  12. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

Media biased? Surely you jest.

Benzion likes this.
  13. Radiotron

Radiotron Tube Designer

Yes, so biased they gave their 2015 award to the German Clearaudio Concept as opposed to the RP6. :)

Art K, russk, 6DeadWax5 and 1 other person like this.
  14. dchang81

dchang81 Forum Resident

well that would be because they already awarded the rp6 turntable of the year previously. i like reading whathifi but i don't know how you can seriously think that they don't prefer british products.

15. russk

russk Forum Resident

It's an EU conspiracy :cool:

timztunz likes this.
  16. 6DeadWax5

6DeadWax5 Forum Resident

But....but... I've read positive reviews they gave to VPI turntables too. Could it be a worldwide audio conspiracy?? :eek:

17. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Me too and already bought every Goovetracer upgrade.

18. russk

russk Forum Resident

Crafty bastards....

6DeadWax5 likes this.
  19. Ivand

Ivand Forum Resident

Hopefully the RP3 will come down in price.

20. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

Wonder if it's a big-enough jump over my current Pro-Ject:

Debut Carbon
    Acryl-It Platter
    Ortofon 2M Blue
    SpeedBox 2

Always wanted a Rega...will be tempting.

Bill

Triceratops likes this.
  21. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

If I was looking to spend £ 600 on a new deck there would be no contest....

22. Triceratops

Triceratops Well-Known Member

I just today upgraded from a Pro-Ject Debut III (with acrylic platter and speed box) to this new Rega (with the sexy white plinth) and, no surprise, it's like night and day. I'm using it with a Shelter 201 I had recently put on the Pro-Ject, and I've spent all day throwing on records which the old deck, with the same cartridge, had rendered fuzzy and at times unlistenable. The Rega is *noticeably* better on inner tracks and *way* more forgiving of slightly worn records. My copy of Flamin' Groovies "Shake Some Action" now sounds like cobwebs have been wiped off it.

The tonearm is also nicely machined and feels way, way more substantial than the Pro-Ject's arm.

Only beef, and it's a picky one I admit, is that the spindle is black. So is the supplied felt mat. So when positioning a record over the spindle, you can't really see the spindle through the hole, and I find myself sliding the record around on top if it. That's eventually gonna leave spindle marks. Have a feeling a lighter colored mat will help.

Note also the Rega is longer and wider than the Pro-Ject, with a taller dust cover which, unlike the Pro-Ject, doesn't stay open unless you tilt it all the way back. Make sure you have room for it.

This is my first Rega, so can't comment on its performance versus the previous models. Super happy to've made the leap, though.

23. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I managed with the black subplatter for many years on my original Planar 3. I just think you need some light to help guide you placing LPs.

You could get a 3rd party machined subplatter at some point, which will give you a polished metal spindle spindle. The groovetracer is made in the US.

The new Planar 3 looks really nice. I'm slightly jealous but I've upgraded my old deck a few times and now had it for 20 years.

Triceratops likes this.
  24. chrism1971

chrism1971 Forum Resident

I upgraded my RP6 with the Groovetracer subplatter which was certainly worth it, but not so much as the recent arm upgrade I inadvertently received! Somehow my RB303 lost a connection in one channel (not seemingly either the plugs or the cartridge tags) and my dealer sent it to Rega for a fix. They either cleaned up the arm and fitted new cables/plugs or completely changed the arm for a very late RB303 (I think the latter) - either way it now sounds twice as good with the new cables (black and rubbery, separate cables with much better plugs) and the dealer setup was a bonus.
    Whether this cable upgrade is an option for owners of older RB303s I don't know. Assuming it's standard on the RB330, that will definitely be a better arm.

By the way non-UK citizens should be paying less for Rega now that the £ has plummeted.... :-(

robertash and Triceratops like this.
  25. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

Glad you are enjoying the new table. I had a problem with a black mat and spindle so I put a tiny piece of red tape on the top of the spindle. Problem solved.

Triceratops likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.