Good sellers for Japanese used vinyl? (Ebay or discogs)

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by ccn103, Aug 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ccn103

ccn103 Senior Member Thread Starter

Can any recommend some reliable/good sellers of used vinyl (Japanese pressings) on either ebay or discogs?
    Accurate grading and reasonable shipping would be two of the more important factors. Would be looking for sellers who deal mainly in jazz and rock.

Thanks,
    Chad

2. ashlee5

ashlee5 Senior Member

facerecords is reliable and offers good customer service.

:wave:

Harvey Rickenbacker likes this.
  3. socorro

socorro Forum Resident

Vinyl Garage Japon (spelled this way) on ebay. Huge and constantly renewed inventory, excellent photos in all listings, fair grading, generally low starting prices.

4. ashlee5

ashlee5 Senior Member

But their shipping is more expensive than other sellers'. Put that into consideration. Otherwise, I too would recommend them.

:wave:

5. Danish Friend

Danish Friend Well-Known Member

If ebay or Discogs isn't a must, and if you have cash to spend, www.tiliqua-records.com is just japanese pressing heaven - also original US and UK pressings; so many great titles...

6. LordThanos1969

LordThanos1969 Forum Resident

Thanks for the link. They have some great records, but the key is "if you have cash to spend."

7. Danish Friend

Danish Friend Well-Known Member

Unfortunately yes... it ain't cheap these days. But if you are looking for just THAT album in a japanese pressing and in nice condition, it's a good call. And the grading is accurate; can't say that for many discogs sellers - just recieved two copies of Tubeway Army's Replicas from UK sellers, both listed NearMint; both were VG at best. Better just order once and be safe.

LordThanos1969 likes this.
  8. Sprague Dawley

Sprague Dawley Forum Resident

9. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Well, very hit and miss and I have purchased many from them. I would say 70% have been nice. But the others...wow. They seem like they were rentals (apparently this is popular in Japan) and I have received at least six that were mildewed on the cover AND vinyl. Really disgusting. Fair grading? I never noticed any grading other than a generic "good condition". I am very doubtful he even checks them out. But here's the good news. His prices are very, very cheap. Second, he has refunded me on many titles with no questions asked, and he doesn't require them to be returned. So, you can't beat that! Because he conducts business in this manner, I find I have tried to only complain about the really egregious titles where they are basically unplayable. And that's what is strange. They have either been close to mint, or unplayable. I have purchased about 30 titles this year from him, so a pretty good representation imo.

MonkeyLizard likes this.
  10. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Yes....another hit and miss. Sometimes he puts everything in one box and sometimes they go separate, which is expensive. I think he sells so many he likely doesn't always realize they are going to the same customer. Still, at an average sale price of $6.99, the shipping doesn't really bother me.

11. socorro

socorro Forum Resident

Interesting, that was not my experience. And I use "was" because about a year ago I no longer saw their listings when I did my frequent searches for Japanese Beatles LPs. I saw another seller with similar price point and listing style but considerably less inventory, so I wondered if it was a partnership that split up. Fortunately for me, I was only looking for a handful of LPs at that point.

12. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Well, they seem to practically own that part of ebay listings right now. The issue is they have mainly very pedestrian titles but it's a great way to get some of the really big hits as imports at great prices as long as what you get meets your condition standards.

13. Sprague Dawley

Sprague Dawley Forum Resident

havent sold anything since July. Judging by feedback comments they made it known it was a sayonara sale

vinyl.garage.japon | eBay

14. MonkeyLizard

MonkeyLizard Forum Resident

I have to check my records (reciepts) to see what vendors sold me which records, because I have had some hit/miss experiences.

However one piece of advice I can offer is to check their grading scale. Some will have it listed in the listing, and sometimes it varies greatly from our goldmine standards.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.