Bands you didn't discover until you were "older"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Michael Young, Sep 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael Young

Michael Young New Member Thread Starter

Thought I would share a nice vinyl collectors story. Music has been part of my life / profession for nearly 40 years. I think I've purchased and repurchased the entire Beatles catalog 4 times now (a sickness I know).

Anyway, becoming obsessed with music in the late 70's found me in the Phil Collins era of Genesis. Having purchased And Then There Were Three, Duke and Abacab I found myself "tired" of Phil Collins during the solo phase of the band. One day, a few months back, I borrowed Foxtrot from a friend and lo and behold was introduced to the Genesis I had missed before my obsession began. It was great "discovering" a group I was well aware of but never delved into outside of the few purchases I initially made. Maybe it was because I never got into Peter Gabriel's solo stuff until later that the curiosity got the best of me. In any case, love all of it now.

Anyone have a similar story of an artist they discovered later in life that became a favorite?

deredordica and geddyfleaharris like this.
  2. side3

side3 Younger Than Yesterday

I loathed The Bee Gees as a kid (late 70's), until a friend introduced me to their pre-disco music. I love all of the pre-Main Course pop albums, and even grew to like the 70's music when I could look past disco and listen to the songs and harmonies though I do miss a more engaged Maurice and Robin. The Barry dominance of the late 70's weakened them, I think.

3. Michael Young

Agreed...great band that morphed into the most successful and loathed band of the late 70's

Jazzmonkie and Michael P like this.
  4. BLUESJAZZMAN

BLUESJAZZMAN I Love Blues, Jazz, Rock, My Son & Honest People

In all honesty I would have to say almost every band that I love!!

5. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Tons.

I'd always liked The Who but there were certain albums I never listened to until finally picking up all their albums on CD. It was only then I had 'discovered' The Who Sell Out and basically all of their pre-Tommy albums.

Being a Led Zeppelin fan for years I was very familiar with Battle of Evermore and the guest vocalist who I learned from the liner notes was a woman named Sandy Denny. And honestly I never gave it much of a second thought other than finding out she had died in a somewhat tragic way. Anyway, it was only recently I became to exposed to her more (on these forums) and told myself I needed to check out her music. Ever since then I've fallen in love with her.

There are lots of examples aside from the ones I've outlined. Frank Zappa, early Pink Floyd (pre-Meddle), ELO's Time album which was a revelation for me, the first CD releases of The Beatles on CD - the first time I'd ever owned any Beatles material. On and on and on. It basically never stops.

6. DWC

DWC Well-Known Member

Yeah, for me it was Steely Dan. I was aware of some of their hits through the radio, mainly "Do It Again" and "Rikki Don't Lose That Number" when I was a teenager. It wasn't until my late 20's that I picked up a copy of Katy Lied in the used vinyl section of Half Price Books for a dollar. Then, not too long after, I bought Aja and I was hooked. Now I have everything in some form or another and they have been in constant listening rotation ever since.

7. Michael Young

The Who Sell Out really sparked it for me too...

Thievius likes this.
  8. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Its a masterpiece and for years I had no clue. On one hand its unfortunate because I'd gone decades missing out on some brilliant music. But on the other, its a mindblowing and fun experience discovering something like that.

9. I've been buying LPs since the mid-sixties. I'm only now getting into Bob Dylan.

10. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

57 years old, collecting since 1964, just discovered Big Star, via Netflix, watching the documentary. Now own several recordings, not the least of which, the first two albums as Classic vinyl.

11. Rojo

Rojo Forum Resident

I got into the Beach Boys around 10 years ago -- in my early 40s.

I knew their hits but never took them seriously. I listened to Pet Sounds, fell in love with it and started exploring the rest of their output.

It was a real revelation to me.

12. richarm

richarm Senior Member

Jethro Tull

13. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

Frank Sinatra, ABBA, and Elvis Presley at age 30.

14. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

Leonard Cohen. Robert Wyatt. The Beach Boys in the 70s. Jethro Tull post-1979. Barclay James Harvest in the 90s... Sometimes it becomes a rediscovery. I've had the album for years but it captivated me more later.

Michael Young and Johnny Vinyl like this.
  15. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

Almost everything after the 70's! I routinely run across some "new band" that I decide I like only to be told by the youngsters that they "remember them" from the 90's or such.

Michael Young likes this.
  16. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

Not tons for me, but I happen to be listening to The Pretty Things right now (the BBC set on Repertoire) and I didn't discover them until I bought the Sire double-LP Vintage Years in '76 or so.
    [​IMG]

And I didn't really start to love the band until a friend twisted my arm into buying SF Sorrow ten or twelve years later.

Hootsmon, troggy, mlew and 2 others like this.
  17. thxdave

thxdave "One black, one white, one blonde"

I was SO late to the Beach Boys. Being born in '54, I was in the right age range to be a fan, but The Beatles sort of ate up all my time AND my allowance! I knew of "Pet Sounds" but didn't come around to the BB until "Holland"!! Then I found "Surf's Up" and I was hooked. I then had to backfill my brain with all things Brian. There are other groups but that one sticks out the most.

18. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

Other than their radio "hits" that played frequently I've discovered the deep catalogs of Dire Straits, Pink Floyd, Steely Dan, and Little Feat to name a few.

19. I SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO identify with this! :)

oldsurferdude likes this.
  20. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

The Ventures and The Shadows.

They really had some rocking numbers.

Terry Shute and Michael Young like this.
  21. therunner

therunner Forum Resident

Bob Dylan after I was 50. When I was younger I really hated his voice, so switched him off before being able to appreciate the melody and lyrics. But now I can hear past the (still slightly irritating) voice.

22. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

My experience probably doesn't count for this thread since I'm only 32, but I remember when I first heard Big Star at the age of 25 I thought it was too bad I hadn't been exposed to them when I was a teenager. They would have rocked my world then. I still love them, but they're not as important to me as they would have been had I heard them when I was younger.

There are many other artists that I have gotten into recently, and it's hard to say what I would have thought of them had I been exposed to them younger. I have gotten into hip-hop lately and it is a little weird to be learning about the genre in my thirties after ignoring it for my entire youth -- it's so clearly a young person's music, most of the major artists were in their early twenties at their peak. Occasionally you get a Kanye or a Kendrick who takes a while to hit his stride, but it seems relatively unusual.

Michael Young likes this.
  23. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

The Luis Russell Orchestra. Heard a cut on the radio a few years back, tracked the song down, found a recording, and the world of early jazz (1924-1933) was opened up to me.

Does that count? And I don't mean Basie....

24. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

Like an extremely vast amount of people, I only discovered Nick Drake some 30 years after he died.

25. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Wishbone Ash
    Uriah Heep

Never even heard their music until I was in my late 30s.

Rodant Kapoor and Michael Young like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.