What commercials grind your gears?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by throbbin tower, Apr 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

There's an ad where you can get "free" medical, dental, cell phone service, electricity, etc. and they interview this old moocher woman who says (paraphrased) "It cost so much to keep the house cool! We didn't want to pay that!". AGGGH!

2. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

That's no way to talk to Alan Thicke.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  3. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

MikaelaArsenault and jhm like this.
  4. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

PosScrewTech, some construction system for foundations. The Commercial absolutely barks in speed talk : "Wishingtobuilda shed?" The voice and face of the character doing the barking are like a mad Swedish hipster.

Makes me grind my teeth :(

5. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

An old one and too obvious of a choice, but here's an hour long version.
    Have fun.

6. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

My radio commercial pet peeve lately was...around the July 4th holiday somebody was advertising ... Pork or grilling pork or similar . Some guy was singing "America the Beautiful" but the lyrics had been changed to extol the virtues of eating pork :D

In the first place, I thought it was vaguely unpatriotic to desecrate "America the Beautiful" to hawk pork for the 4th , but to make matters worse , the guy sang the song with an ultra annoying super tremolo vocal.
    Whenever I heard it starting on my car radio it was an instant station changer.

P.S.
    I agree with your comments . I've heard the "you deserve" line in late night car commercials and other various pitches
    where it is made clear that no matter what a bumbler or deadbeat you are , you deserve the finer things in life. :p

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
    SomeCallMeTim likes this.
  7. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

Yes, his pork rendition was horrible. Something about needing a bib. But not as bad as "Tiger lady", where I suspect all the voices are the same person but some are sped-up to give the illusion there are multiple people.

Glenn Christense likes this.
  8. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Any ad featuring Adam Lisagor:
    CCP1QukUgAAuObt.jpg-small.jpeg

9. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

"Is it your allergy?...THERE WEREN'T PEANUTS IN THE BROWNIES, RIGHT!?!"
    "Peanut butter...Oh no!... I forgot!"
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  10. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Wow! Clearly one of the stupidest commercials that I have ever seen, which recently started showing in my area. I mean, what does any of this ad's thinking process, have anything to do with selling me, or anyone for that matter, a car, is beyond me?

Jay Auto Group of Cleveland "Milk"

11. geo50000

geo50000 Forum Resident

Yoplait.
    All of them.

12. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

This ad for one of the new Cadillac CT6 where everything is in slow motion and everyone on the street is walking backwards... No one says anything until halfway through, and all you get are a few shots of a standard 4-door sedan. I love a high concept ad as much as anyone, but this one just falls flat. Judging from the number of comments on Cadillac ads in this thread, they need a new agency.

13. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Mike K. in the Bosley Hair Transplant commercial....

"I can mess this hair up if I wanna mess this hair up!".

14. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Yeah. I know it can be a serious condition, but I found that commercial a little unsettling. :eek:

15. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

16. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

The Nutella "spread the happiness" commercial with the annoying Millennial-friendly music really bugs me. And the Ford commercial with the bad hip-hop cover of the Stones' "I'm Free" annoys as well.

17. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

What's weird is that commercial was playing just as I clicked on this thread! :)

MikaelaArsenault and BadJack like this.
  18. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

It's been mentioned before but for the love of humanity, won't Liberty Mutual Insurance end that insipid commercial with the woman who calls her car "Brad". I thought they finally pulled that one but then yesterday I suffered through it again. I feel like it has been on continuously for the last 3 years. Arrrgggg.

19. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

This commercial with modern country star "Chris Young" always makes my blood pressure raise to dangerous levels. Not sure if it's a combination of not liking the music or the cultural impact/damage caused by these terrible modern country music artists who have strayed so far from their true roots.

20. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

The Jennifer Aniston commercial for Eyelove, a remedy for 'chronic dry eye'. Apparently Jennifer's eyes are the windows to her soul, revealing all, except -ironically - no one realizes that she suffers from 'chronic dry eye'.

What tips the scale is that the accompanying music through-out the ad is "All You Need Is Love" [not the original recording]- how appropriate. And to pour salt in the wound, the commercial ends with the tag line, "It's all about eye love, my friends" [get it - All you need is love ... eye love, that is].

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
  21. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

The older couple talking about a Medicare supplement policy.
    She says "we need to talk..."
    Him:"I took out the trash."
    She:"I know you did....and thank you so much for that." She says that in such a condescending way that it makes me feel sorry for her "husband." ;)

22. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Yeah, it's an example of hypocrisy in advertising. They would never do that same script with the genders reversed.

23. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

I've seen that commercial and always assumed he must've cheated on his wife years ago and forfeited all decision-making responsibilities when she took him back. Now if he were smart, he'd take out a life insurance policy on his abusive wife!

24. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

You know that Geico commercial where the gecko orders Chinese food delivery to his small New York apartment? What on earth is the deal with the accent on the delivery guy? I don't know what it's supposed to be. The world's worst Woody Allen impression? Gears: ground.

25. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..."

I kinda like that one, but I have the chronic dry eye thing.
    Could be a lot worse. Just imagine how bad it would be if Marie Osmond were the spokeswoman-practically shouting through the whole thing. Yuch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.