Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

Just enjoying music without anything in mind. ;)

SandAndGlass, Marzz, Lonson and 2 others like this.
  2. Starwanderer

Starwanderer Senior Member

Thanks for the suggestions :righton:

Re: Ron Carter, I'm trying to get the VDJ Japan version of "Piccolo", but it seems to be very difficult to find. IIRC, it's the only version that has all the tracks, unlike the Milestone edition.

3. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Dennis, I'm more interested in reading your thoughts on jazz than putting down mine. :) Be sure to let me know what you think of the Coltrane box in SHM-CD.

dennis the menace likes this.
  4. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

OK, my friend. That wink tells me otherwise, though... Fess up! :agree:

Now playing: Serge Chaloff's Blue Serge (1956), which was mentioned earlier in this thread, and it really does deserve accolades. I had kind of forgotten about his rich fat sound (I wanted to add "creamy" but it sounds kind of dirty in English?!). Being a big Gerry Mulligan fan tends to make you forget other baritone saxophonists, unfortunately.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
    mpayan and crispi like this.
  5. rockinlazys

rockinlazys Forum Resident

Seeing this reminds me of a question I have had for many years. In the mid 80's through the early 90's Tapscott and many others would play this funky little bar in a no name motel on University Ave. in Berkeley. It was not a great room for sound but fun as all get out, and yet a rather odd spot for seeing world class talent. I see a bunch of Bay Area folks on here and am wondering if any of you recall this joint? It was an actual "Fern Bar" if that helps...

Soulsanista likes this.
  6. Lonson

This month Japan is releasing another big batch of CTI "Supreme Series" Blu-Spec CDs, budget priced, many of which have had very few if any reissues on CD.

CTI SUPREME COLLECTION|2016年9月7日発売 「CTI SUPREME COLLECTION 2」|ローチケHMV »

7. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

I love the Japan concerts. I actually find they have an almost mellow atmosphere (albeit building to powerful crescendos) compared to some other later Coltrane stuff. The only track that's really "chaotic" is the long version of "Leo," but those takes of "Peace on Earth" and "My Favorite Things" are exquisite, and James Garrison's long bass disquisitions never lose my interest.

The Philadelphia concert on the recent Offering release is much less centered and measured by comparison, but I also think the performances aren't quite as solid. Partly I guess it's because the sound quality is so poor. The Japan concerts have great mono sound.

jay.dee, lschwart, Marzz and 4 others like this.
  8. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

Lonson, just a hypothesis, but there were official hi-res remasters of Coltrane's Atlantic albums that came out a few years back. They are, to me, the best version of this material, given the not-so-stellar (but terribly charming) recording quality. Coltrane's main albums were part of those remasters, plus Coltrane Legacy and an album of alternate takes. That means everything that is on the Heavyweight box got remastered, except for the bonus disc. Could it be it's those new transfers that they used for the SHM-CD set? Might explain why you are hearing a difference compared to the old set. Of course, there's always the possibility that you think that you are hearing a difference, which sometimes happens to me, too.

dennis the menace and Lonson like this.
  9. Lonson

Yes it is a possibility. This is NOT the 24 bit remastering that appeared on the CDs released in the Warner Japan series (and also in Europe). . . . I don't do "files" so I haven't heard the hi-res masters, they could be the source of these. I'm enjoying the set, but there isn't an earth-shattering difference between this and the US box, and the US even sounds a bit more relaxed, so anyone who isn't a compulsive Coltrane collector (LOL) doesn't really need to bother with this SHM-CD edition.

dennis the menace likes this.
  10. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

Spinning Sonny Rollins "Our Man in Jazz", which pits him with Don Cherry. Have loved this album for a long while now.

rxcory, Marzz, Lonson and 3 others like this.
  11. bradman

bradman Forum Resident

Just got the Monk complete Blue Note box for 20 bucks. Gonna dig in this weekend.

12. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Keystone?

Lonson likes this.
  13. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

I love that Mosaic set. My intro to Duke's music. Gets a lot of plays here.

Lonson and crispi like this.
  14. charlesp

charlesp Forum Resident

Lon, based on your appreciation of the trumpet/cornet tradition going back to the beginnings of jazz, I recommend that you check out Kirk Knuffke among the younger improvisors - he has listened to a broad spectrum of forebears and tells a story when he improvises.

15. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Yes - try Sifter - a trio with Kirk, Mary Halvorson & Matt Wilson

It's like a free jazz pop record. Catchy and all that.

16. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Guys, I know its sometimes hard to do this with jazz. But what are youre top 5-10 Mosaic sets? And why?

TheIncredibleHoke likes this.
  17. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

NICE! I love that Johnny Hammond album. A friend of mine is really into CTI albums , so he's been nudging me in that direction.

Still looking for the "CALIFORNIA CONCERT" CD at a decent price. I know I can get the MP3 for a low price but I like having the physical media...

Lonson likes this.
  18. Lonson

Thanks Gents, will do.

19. charlesp

charlesp Forum Resident

Sifter is excellent. If you want to incorporate more references to the Jazz tradition, try his work on Steeplechase with Jesse Stacken on piano - they improvise on Ellington, Monk and Mingus compositions, and also interpret compositions by Ornette, Steve Lacy, Julius Hemphill, Misha Mengelberg and Carla Bley.

Marzz and rockinlazys like this.
  20. rockinlazys

rockinlazys Forum Resident

Thanks for your reply. The Berkeley Keystone closed I think in 1984 and was a fun club (yes) without great sound (yes) but was much more of a Rock & Roll club. This was a true piano fern bar in a no name motel at the other end of University. At that point we had the original Yoshi's, The Culteral Center in downtown Oakland, Zellerback, The Ashkenaz and then the S.F clubs all exclusively Jazz or with Jazz heavy calendars. So this place was and is still a mystery to me.

Lonson likes this.
  21. Ellsworth

Ellsworth Forum Resident

I enjoyed the other long-running Jazz thread as it gave me new ideas on things to listen to. It was interesting to tap into. However, I may end up posti there a little more.

Last night I listened to Bossas and Ballads from Stan Getz. I am not a big bossa nova guy but this later period Getz suits me. I will probably cue up the Anniversary live album on the Emarcy label tonight. His later period stuff seems to have more gravitas and that ethereal sound really comes through on this recording.

jeffsjazz, rxcory, Marzz and 4 others like this.
  22. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I've had that Live in Japan set for two decades or so, and it's always been a tough nut to crack for me. Some excellent parts, but sometimes a bit of a slog to listen to. My initial excitement about having an extremely long version of My Favorite Things with both Coltrane and Pharoah Sanders diminished a bit once I actually heard it. That said, it has grown on me somewhat over the years after I adjusted my expectations and is probably due for a re-listen sometime soon. I do like the version of Peace on Earth quite a lot, especially.

Lonson, Starwanderer and rockinlazys like this.
  23. Starwanderer

Starwanderer Senior Member

On my computer speakers, I prefer the second sample

hvbias likes this.
  24. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

mpayan, you might get as many different answers as there are jazz fans on this forum. But I'll bite.

There are many great Mosaic sets out there, but not all of them sound stellar (despite what many want you to believe). Mosaic has been hit-and-miss in regard to mastering, maybe also because they didn't have an in-house mastering engineer, but always had to rely on those given to them by the labels they were reissuing. That is why you won't see any Blue Note Mosaics on my list, because those BN recordings have almost always been bettered by individual releases in the more recent past. However, there are other sets, especially the historical ones, where the Mosaic is definitely the best sound there is out there for that material.

Here are my favourite Mosaic sets, chosen for their content and sound. In no particular order:

The Complete OKeh & Brunswick Bix Beiderbecke, Frank Trumbauer & Jack Teagarden Sessions 1924-1936. You don't hear much about this set, but this is one the best they put out there, with many classic performances in stellar remastering. John R.T. Davies and Doug Pomeroy engineered this set, both legends in their own field.

The Complete Django Reinhardt & Quintet of the Hot Club of France Swing/HMV Sessions 1936-1948. Another brilliant set. This one's pure joy.

The Complete 1936-1940 Variety, Vocalion & OKeh Duke Ellington Small Group Sessions. Perfect sound and absolutely brilliant performances by Duke Ellington small groups. Steven Lasker mastered this one, another engineer with an almost perfect record when it comes to historical 78 transfers.

The Complete Capitol & Atlantic Recordings of Jimmy Giuffre. I just loooove Jimmy Giuffre's relaxed sound and unconventional approach to jazz. This is a treasure trove of great interpretations, with guys such as Jim Hall and Bob Brookmeyer sitting in. Good remastering, improving on some of the older Atlantic CDs.

Roland Kirk – The Limelight & Verve Albums. A vinyl-only release. These lovely albums by one of my heroes have never sounded better. Too bad there is no CD version of this – Hip-O Select did some of the other Mosaic vinyl sets for CD, but I think the label folded too soon. Too bad, as the regular CD masterings of these are hit-and-miss and an update would have been welcomed. Maybe one day.

The Jazz Crusaders – The Pacific Jazz Quintet Studio Sessions. Some might find this choice surprising, but I really like the (Jazz) Crusaders. Some of the later albums on this set are a bit heavy on pop covers, but there is great, swinging, inventive, straight jazz sprinkled all over this set. The new mixes and mastering are great, too.

And last but not least, the new Lester Young/Count Basie set, which I haven't heard yet, but judging from the samples on their website, will probably become my number one source for when I need a Lester fix.

25. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Grant Green played with some seriously high-tensioned strings. Look at those cables on there!

mdent, rxcory, cobbler and 2 others like this.