Amy Grant CDs soon to be out of print in physical pressed CD form

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BradOlson, Sep 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven Thread Starter

These remastered titles will soon be out of print in physical pressed CD form and remaining stores can only return the discs (still preferred to buy the original CDs of much of these titles for sound):
    Icon
    A Christmas To Remember
    Greatest Hits - Special Edition with DVD
    S/T
    My Father's Eyes
    Never Alone
    Straight Ahead
    Unguarded
    House of Love
    Simple Things
    Behind The Eyes

Most of these titles will remain available as CD-R on demand through this link: Search Amy Grant | Mardel » and on download sites.

2. Get2Me

Get2Me Forum Resident

What?!? I thought the whole Sparrow/EMI/Capitol Christian record deal (from 2007) was inked to ensure these albums stayed in print, thus providing a sense of unity to Amy's discography. The remasters "updated," for better or worse, the sound on Amy's earlier albums and brought nearly all of her recorded output together under one umbrella. Now you're saying a few of Amy's iconic albums (Unguarded, House Of Love, Behind The Eyes (!!!)) will ONLY be available via CD-R? I tell you this, which I'm sure you already know: consumers interested in physical media are NOT interested in CD-Rs, even if they are professionally produced and packaged. It's NOT the same format as a factory pressed CD and lacks the longevity associated with regular CDs. Not gonna lie, I'm kind of bummed about this!

MultiMan, Pizza and clhboa like this.
  3. BradOlson

Yep, it's the marketplace these days and very few retailers stock older titles.

4. seventeen

seventeen Forum Resident

Pressing a thousand copies doesn't cost anything, even amateurs do it. Why would one want a CDR? The most unknown band out there all have their demos pressed in silver form!

melstapler, Jrr, clhboa and 1 other person like this.
  5. Musician95616

Musician95616 Forum Resident

eBay sale.....

6. BradOlson

More and more titles are going through the CD-R only method of distribution.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  7. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

Because storing them takes time and space?

Hardly any new bands I know are pressing CDs - they're mostly doing vinyl/downloads and sometimes CDRs...

Shak Cohen likes this.
  8. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

The remasters sound like crap anyway.

Musician95616 likes this.
  9. BradOlson

That they do plus the good CDs are cheap used.

Jrr, driverdrummer and Musician95616 like this.
  10. Torontotom

Torontotom Forum Resident

Behind the Eyes (2007 remaster) is already out of print. I was lucky to find it used in good condition.

When I was visiting Pigeon Forge over Christmas, it took me some time to track down her 1983 Christmas album because I desperately wanted the entire album after seeing her and Vince's Christmas show in Nashville.

11. seventeen

seventeen Forum Resident

500 bucks for 500 CDs with mini-lp sleeves. You can even find prices as low as 350 bucks if the sleeve is a bit less quality. There's no excuse for putting out CD-Rs.

Purple, Laibach and melstapler like this.
  12. BradOlson

Most of these albums are among the most iconic and best albums she's ever made, BTW.

13. BradOlson

14. BradOlson

Yet, record companies do license their catalog to Amazon, Mardel (if Christian), etc. for CD-R release.

15. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

The Christian labels will do whatever they can to cut costs because they don't bring in nearly the amount that the non-Christian arms of the labels do. It's funny, because other than Regional Mexican Music, the Christian music labels were the last to phase out cassettes! They have to do what's the cheapest in order to keep things afloat.

melstapler likes this.
  16. BradOlson

Yet, most hot hit CCM titles are a huge chunk of the titles that flood thrift stores (such as non-remastered Amy , Michael W. Smith, Nichole Nordeman, Bethany Dillon, Avalon, etc.) and used CD store bins and a lot of the early CCM CDs are those that are rare collectibles on CD such as DeGarmo & Key Petra's Not of This World and Beat The System, some of the earliest Sandi Patti titles, etc. Larry Norman is collectible in both vinyl and CD, the same with Daniel Amos.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
  17. Lownote30

Only to the very small audience that the genre caters to. I'm not knocking the genre either. I'm just saying it's a smaller slice than jazz, or classical, so the labels don't throw a lot of money at it.

18. BradOlson

Which is interesting that the bulk of the DeGarmo & Key catalog goes for big bucks on CD such as Straight On, Mission of Mercy, This Ain't Hollywood, This Time Thru, Communication, Streetlight, Commander Sozo, etc. Benny Hester's Nobody Knows Me Like You goes for big bucks on pressed CD to the collectors, some Petra titles do go for big bucks on CD to the collectors such as Not Of This World, Beat The System, Washes Whiter Than/Never Say Die to a lesser extent, etc., Barry McGuire's CCM titles do go for big bucks on used CD, etc. It was also surprising that Amy was a Gold/Platinum selling artist right from the start. Larry Norman is a collectible artist, period.

19. Lownote30

Everyone you mentioned (other than Amy Grant who crossed over for a bit into secular pop and went platinum at that point) are acts that most people haven't heard of. The collectors exist for this music, but it's a very small percentage. That's all I'm saying. There were definitely fewer copies of these CDs pressed than say albums by The Beatles, so they are rare, and a collector will pay more for them.

Jrr likes this.
  20. BradOlson

Record companies always say this when an artists sign a catalog deal and it is just standard verbage and includes not only physical media but also downloads and streaming.

21. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

It's not like her stuff is, or will be, hard to find. I see her stuff in the bins all the time, and on the cheap, at used stores.

Purple likes this.
  22. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

A lot of that is supply issues. Amy's stuff sold in huge quantities compared to most of the other artists you cite, and none of her albums are difficult to find. Almost everything you listed is expensive because they are much harder to locate, imo.

23. BradOlson

Exactly. The vinyl issues of D&K, Petra, Benny Hester, etc. are widely available on Discogs, eBay, etc. though you don't always see them flood used bins. Amy sold Gold/Platinum numbers of a lot of her albums so they will never be hard to find.

Jrr likes this.
  24. elgreco

elgreco Groove Meister

Yup, that was the intention of that deal. But that was 2007, when EMI still existed. And apart from EMI's demise things have changed a little (for the worse IMO) in the CD market.

I think this is part of the scenario in years to come - CDs will die a slow death and more and more albums will be available only in small quantities in CD-R form. Until the manufacturers find out that die hard CD collectors - who will be the last ones buying CDs at all - won't be interested in CD copies.

I'm glad I've got every album I need re: Amy Grant. And the original unremastered CDs to boot!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
  25. elgreco

elgreco Groove Meister

Wow, and the asking price is in between 10 and 15 dollars for a CD-R? I can't see much of a market in this.

OTOH - most people probably don't care they they'll receive a CD-R.

OTOH II - most people don't care for buying CDs at all these days. Artists and record companies that press CDs nowadays should realize that they cater to collectors mostly. And they won't bite.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.