Why didn't Paul write and record with George after 1970?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mister President, Sep 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Hmm. I'd be curious to see the actual comments in context, if you could track them down. Are you sure you're remembering correctly? "George's boyfriend" doesn't sound like something McCartney would say... he's usually far more circumspect and diplomatic in his public comments.

2. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

I don't remember the source but i absolutely remember Paul saying "boyfriend" as it was a cutting, jarring remark.
    There are so many hostile exchanges from George on the subject Paul post Beatles---it's impossible to dismiss!

3. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Was this a more recent interview, or one from back in the 90s? All Paul's comments about Lynne that I've seen (most of which appear on the Reunion Recording Sessions site) are positive, with Paul saying he was initially trepidatious about Lynne but that ultimately things worked out very well. At any rate... no offense but until you come up with a source I remain skeptical that you're remembering correctly. It would be very uncharacteristic of McCartney to say something so snarky in an interview, particularly about George. He's always seemed cautious in his public comments about George in particular.

4. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

It was fairly fresh after the project.
    He even made fun of Jeff Lynne having the same haircut from the 70s!
    If you don't think Paul could be snarky, you haven't delved deeply enough!

5. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I have no doubt he's capable of being extremely snarky in private conversation... Lennon wouldn't have become close friends with someone who's not. But I can't think of many instances in which he's made bitchy comments about friends or associates in the context of a formal interview. And such a comment as you allege would run counter to the tenor of the many other things he said about the reunion around the same time period. I'll cheerfully admit I'm wrong if you can produce a source, though.

No Bull, Lewisboogie and Fivebyfive like this.
  6. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

If the internet was then what it is now, i'd have it in a few seconds.
    There's always that Hunter Davis 1981 "interview" or phone conversation Paul allegedly didn't think would be on the record. Plenty of bitter nastiness----and i sort of feel his pain! I can pretty much see each Beatle's side at various points. All four were capable of boorish behavior.

Jarleboy and No Bull like this.
  7. 905

905 Senior Member

I only read it from the library, and skipped around since I don't dig genealogy, but I remember in Tune In that instead of the songwriting being credited Lennon-McCartney-Harrison, John and Paul decided just to well, freeze out George and have the credits Lennon-McCartney. So I thought (maybe even subconsciously) that kept Paul from making the effort of sitting down and seriously writing with George. Just my thought...

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
    Paulwalrus and cwitt1980 like this.
  8. Because they would have argued about who's name should come first. ;)

Paulwalrus, theMess and 905 like this.
  9. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Yeah... the key point there though is that he did not think it was on the record. Paul is usually quite circumspect in formal on-the-record interviews. I mean, this is a guy whose public comments about Chapman don't amount to anything harsher than than calling him a jerk.

theMess and davenav like this.
  10. Fivebyfive

Fivebyfive Forum Resident

Paul's comments to Hunter Davis weren't bitter or nasty. He was frustrated and defensive, and rightfully anxious because he was getting ripped to shreds in the press. But nothing he said was at all mean-spirited or vicious. I've no doubt that, privately, Paul can be as bitter and nasty as any of the Beatles in their worst moments -- but not to the press, who he's never trusted. And the tone of Paul's comments to Hunter Davis is more confused, anxious, and defensive than anything.

tteal, maywitch, JDeanB and 2 others like this.
  11. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

Hi Ray! Weren't the four takes from January 28 captured on multi-track? Several from that day has been released, including the single version of Don't Let Me Down (prior to some post-GB overdubs). Were just a few songs captured on multi, or most from that day? The sessions from this day sound a bit better than most other days as well. Ron

theMess and Lewisboogie like this.
  12. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

I'd say stating that 'he has some juicy stuff on John' that he wouldn't reveal while Yoko or Cynthia is alive-----and calling him insecure is pretty nasty------but certainly no worse than he got from John---and John did it more vocally and more often.

13. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

Was it just Family dynamics? Did they see each other as older and younger brother?
    The lack of collaboration could indicate that they did have a "brothers" relationship. If Paul saw himself as the older brother and George as the younger that would certainly explain why they didn't work well together as time passed. And once a family dynamic like that is in place it's certainly hard to break.

14. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Why?
    Don't bother me.

15. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Nope. According to Lewisohn and the tape boxes, "All Things Must Pass" was never captured on multi-track. The 4 performances from the 28th were not take worthy - Billy is just learning the chords, Paul isn't vocalizing his bass line rather than actually playing it, and the attempts at blending George, John, and Paul's voices doesn't quite work out.

theMess likes this.
  16. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Honestly Paul, George and Ringo should have taken another crack at "All Things Must Pass" during Abbey Road while John was "recovering" from the car accident, knocked out a version of the song and just asked John to add a harmony later. Would have been a killer track on the LP and "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" could have been kept for a B-side. George got three songs on Revolver. He should have had three on their final album. The man was on fire.

17. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

I'm getting old, I could have sworn I saw a tape box with All Things Must Pass on it, must have been George's birthday demo. It wouldn't take Billy long to learn the song, he was gifted in that regard, but those backing vocals are rough. I can't recall the next day's performance, but it is telling that George kept the song, and not Old Brown Shoe and Something which also were done this very day. In fact, Old Brown Shoe was almost perfected in rather short order with George on piano (footage from this session would be nice indeed!) and his remark that he'll have to learn the guitar parts when Billy arrives is funny and telling. Thanks for the clarification. Ron

Chris from Chicago, theMess and RayS like this.
  18. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

Apparently George did visit Paul during the 'Tug Of War' sessions, so I do believe that your idea could well have happened. Who knows if he jammed with Paul and Carl and Ringo during his visit? Maybe he did attempt a few casual guitar solo ideas for 'Wanderlust'? If so, I would love to hear them.

19. SgtPepper1983

SgtPepper1983 Forum Resident

Just an interview I had never seen before. Not entirely on topic but proof that George wasn't cranky to Paul exclusively:

20. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

Not too bad. Maybe had a few adult beverages before the interview.

He didn't like doing any of the stuff that you have to do to promote a record.

Love that grin in the video to She's My Baby---impossible to not grin along----like that grin he gave John on Ed Sullivan's stage.

theMess likes this.
  21. SgtPepper1983

And was very cross with Dylan for not doing it.

22. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

I didn't know that.

If Dylan had been able to keep a band together when he was starting out-----he never would have been a folkie!

Probably better it worked out the way it did.

SgtPepper1983 likes this.
  23. SgtPepper1983

And I think it's the only time Harrison ever got cranky towards Dylan: can't quote, but he said something like 'he's got no time to promote the album but he's got enough to collect the cheques'.

theMess, Lewisboogie and notesfrom like this.
  24. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

I like the way he asked our Canadian interviewer her thoughts on the problems in the world.

theMess likes this.
  25. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.