Your favourite Bear Family releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GodBlessTinyTim, Mar 3, 2015.

1. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yeah, sometimes their item descriptions are a bit screwy. The description for the Don Gibson 1966-1969 box says "4-CD box (LP-size) with 108-page hardcover book, 217 tracks. Playing time approx. 618 mns."

melstapler likes this.
  2. baptistbusman

baptistbusman Compact Disc Advocate

• [​IMG]

• I bought this set this week on Amazon from Ernie B. Once again, I'm ashamed it took me this long to try out the Osborne Brothers. Anyone have the second set? I was wondering if it was just as consistent as this one.

3. GodBlessTinyTim

That Acuff box is a thing of beauty. What does "Foundation Recordings" mean though?

Not that it's a replacement for outside opinions, but song samples are available on AllMusic. Just ignore the extra 70 tracks listed for the first disc.

1968-1974 - Osborne Brothers | Songs, Reviews, Credits | AllMusic »

4. Svein Arne

Svein Arne Forum Resident

Book got only 40 pages.

5. GodBlessTinyTim

That's what I'm getting at. The set actually has about 110 tracks totalling between four and five hours. They accidentally used another item's description.

6. Svein Arne

Can Bear Family please make a documentary about how it is done to make the amazing good sound from old scratchy recordings.
    I guess this possible can boost the sale.:tiphat:

7. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

It makes me wonder how many discs would be needed if a box set were released which contained Don Gibson's complete Hickory recordings. If Bear Family isn't interesting in releasing Gibson's Hickory recordings, I live in constant fear on a daily basis that a shady grey market reissue label might release a poorly-sourced collection containing those recordings.

GodBlessTinyTim and Svein Arne like this.
  8. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

would LOVE to have a Bear Family documentary. A glimpse into the whole process of making their sets, from the research, disc/tape locating, transfers,
    gear used, audio chain, manufacture. Not a lot out there from their perspective.

9. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

This isn't Bear Family (again, soz) but this is a fascinating look at Michael Graves work on restoring the Hank Williams Garden Spot recordings for Omnivore, if you ain't got this you've never heard Hank sound so good. Anyway I'm sure the BF process will be of a similar nature. Painstakingly laborious...

RESTORING HANK WILLIAMS - THE GARDEN SPOT PROGRAMS »

10. Mychael

Mychael Forum Resident

Total playing time is 656 minutes and 5 seconds. (And none of the discs is longer than 78 minutes, pop pickers.)

baptistbusman likes this.
  11. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

40 LP sized pages equals more than 220 CD sized pages, in other words more than 10 times what the typical CD boxset by other companies offer you today, even for boxes with many more CDs. (Actually many newer boxes offer no real booklet at all). I have no problem with the 40 page book. It has a serious discography, and quality text and photos, rarely offered by any other company.

The Killer and melstapler like this.
  12. Mychael

Mychael Forum Resident

And now Bear Family enters the modern age – probably the first big box (or two) following the Weize projects will chronicle the complete career of a 70s/80s songwriter loosely connected to the "outlaw" scene. Currently 10 discs (and counting), including unreleased stuff from his own archives, unreleased albums, and a DVD with a concert recorded in Europe.

13. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Sounds like maybe Kris Kristofferson? If Mychael can confirm, I will hold off on buying the current albums collection box and buy the Bear box. If I buy that current box of Kris, I'll end up passing on a Bear box of Kris

melstapler likes this.
  14. Svein Arne

Charlie Rich and other famous artists was jamming at his homestudio at night.
    Lots of tapes have been found after his death.:goodie:

RETROLUXE and melstapler like this.
  15. This is pure speculation on my part but I would guess David Allen Coe.

16. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

Kristofferson has always been popular in Germny and a major attraction in German night clubs. If Bear Family issues a Kristofferson package I'll definitely want to hear it.

melstapler likes this.
  17. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

I'm gonna guess Jerry Jeff Walker

melstapler likes this.
  18. The Killer

I'd love for it to be Steve Young.

Mychael and melstapler like this.
  19. GodBlessTinyTim

I'm in the Kristofferson camp, but it's unfotunate they were sort of beaten to the punch by the complete-albums box.

Just ordered this OoP Johnnie & Jack comp. It's basically a 32-track distillation of the box set. Some of the countriest country ever recorded.

[​IMG]

Svein Arne likes this.
  20. Svein Arne

If it is David Allan Coe it will get an big Xrating in USA.

:D

21. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Could it be Billy Joe Shaver?

22. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

can't see Bear doing a DAC box, after releasing his 70's/80's stuff on the two-fer albums.
    I have them all, and love them.
    I would be interested just the same, but unless it was a bunch of unreleased stuff, I wouldn't
    dive in too quickly.

23. Mychael

Mychael Forum Resident

It's not Kristofferson, and BTW, the album collection box is great.

melstapler likes this.
  24. The Killer

If we narrow it down to songwriters loosely connected with The Outlaw movement and with enough material for 10 CD's then the shortlist would be:

Kris Kristoffersen
    David Allen Coe
    Billy Joe Shaver
    Tompall Glaser
    There's also the Flatlanders members
    Outsider - Steve Young (10 CD's is pushing it unless the vaults are busting)

DAC, BJS and TG are all represented on BF single disc stuff.

Stop Press - KK out!

melstapler likes this.
  25. Svein Arne

Hoyt Axton?

:nauga:

melstapler likes this.