MFSL now doing 7 Bob Dylan titles in mono (hybrid SACD)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by agentalbert, Sep 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member Thread Starter

I scanned the Dylan threads but didn't find anything on this. Apologies if I missed it. Maybe these are brand new to the catalog. I just found them. I guess its good to have options. I prefer the early stuff in mono versus stereo, but I wish MFSL would have just done these in mono to begin with for most of the titles.

Search ยป

If that link doesn't work showing all seven, here are the titles:

Bob Dylan
    Freewheelin' Bob Dylan
    The Times They Are A-Changin'
    Another Side Of Bob Dylan
    Bringing It All Back Home
    Highway 61 Revisited
    John Wesley Harding

Let the celebration and griping commence!

2. Jeremy B.

Jeremy B. Forum Resident

I wish they'd take on new material instead of reissuing the same albums over and over again in different formats and mixes.

3. Jeremy B.

Jeremy B. Forum Resident

Also, judging by the banners it looks like Highway 61 and Bringing it All Back Home will not be from the master tapes. Highway 61 isn't a surprise, but I hadn't realized the mono tape for Bringing it All Back Home was missing. Wasn't it used for the Sony box?

4. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

Well, this seems unnecessary. Agree with Jeremy Bunting.

audiomixer, bootbox and FashionBoy like this.
  5. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

I won't be buying. I'm happy with the mono box.

6. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

It's not a choice between the two. They can do both if they want to.
    They obviously think they can sell some Dylan, so they're doing it.

7. Jeremy B.

Jeremy B. Forum Resident

Given how long MFSL titles tend to stay "TBA" it certainly feels like a choice sometimes.

8. agentalbert

And they're probably right. It says each is "strictly limited to 3,000 copies". But with only a handful of active audiophile labels and only one (that I know of) active pressing plant, there is a bit of an either/or when it comes to titles. MFSL doing these and getting them pressed IS in place of other titles they could be doing.

scottc1963 likes this.
  9. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Waste of time.... Boring release philosophy by Mofi. The same stuff again and again!

Spaceboy and FJFP like this.
  10. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

11. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

How so?

12. agentalbert

Did you read the sentence immediately preceding the one you quoted? Here it is again:

"But with only a handful of active audiophile labels and only one (that I know of) active pressing plant, there is a bit of an either/or when it comes to titles."

13. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

I thought we were talking about SACDs? In general, i find the whole 'either or' argument
    inconsistent with my experience in business, it's generally a conflation of unrelated factors, that doesn't hold
    up to closer examination.

14. Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack Forum Resident

Why? The mono boxset is awesome in so many ways! What i'm really looking for is a "Time Out of Mind" by MFSL.

15. agentalbert

We are talking about SACD's. There are only a few audiophile labels putting out titles. And as long as they are hybrid SACD's (which is the standard format), they all have to come from one plant in Austria. This is likely the reason it is so common for titles with release dates are frequently delayed. So the labels can announce all the titles they want, but there is limited capacity (mastering engineers they use) and limited manufacturing capacity to press and actually release the discs. True the fast that MFSL announces plans to do these Dylan mono titles doesn't mean they can't also plan to do other titles. But there is a bottleneck in actually getting the discs out to consumers. That's why I said there is a BIT of an either/or to the titles.

16. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

Betting the mastering work will beat the existing box by a great deal. I'd be more interested if AP and Kevin Gray were involved. In any event, I'll look forward to these in about two or three years when they begin coming to market. By then, I bet more of you will take an interest!

17. It's Felix

It's Felix It's not really me

Yawn. Why can't they release something different. Gillian Welch on vinyl please

18. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

No Blonde On Blonde? :shrug:

19. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I've got the vinyl, so I'm fine. :laugh::tiphat: They really are making it easier, and easier for me to keep my money in the bank.

20. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile

That's actually not entirely true, there is actually a pressing plant in Japan as well. Nobody seems to be utilizing that one though. :D

21. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

The mono cds in the Dylan mono box are great but unfortunately not in sacd. These will be worth getting if I can afford them. No idea why there is no BoB.

22. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

This is one title that was IMO was not served well on the Sony mono box - way too strident and harsh especially on the harmonica. too bad they didn't want to tackle that title.

rxcory, sjaca and PhantomStranger like this.
  23. agentalbert

That does hybrids or just single-layer? I know the SHM-SACD's come from a Japanese plant, but they are never hybrids to my knowledge.

24. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Not to belabor the point too much, but is there actual information in public that there is a bottleneck for production?
    In the industry I work in, these excuses are given all the time, and they're almost never true.
    The fact there is one plant doesn't mean there is limited capacity, they could be at half production for lack of work.

PanaPlasma and Mr. Explorer like this.
  25. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Is that scheduled to be released on SACD by MFSL?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.