Herb Alpert - all CDs are now available

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Humbuster, Jul 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mr_mjb1960

mr_mjb1960 I'm a Tarrytowner 'Til I die!

One reviewer on Amazon had said "The Lonely Bull" was laded with Tape Hiss!

ispace and AudiophilePhil like this.
  2. mr_mjb1960

BTW,"Whipper Cream" the 40th Anniversary had Two Bonus Tracks and a Poster of the Lp Cover inside the Slot with the Booklet!

3. Doug_B

Doug_B Time Traveler

A nice opportunity to expand my very small Herb Alpert collection.

Doug

4. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

I'm currently listening to THE LONELY BULL on the new remaster. The wide-panned stereo has been tamed on all tracks. An annoying left-channel whoosh sound that started virtually every track on the Shout remaster is gone. These all start cleanly. Is there tape hiss? I would hope so - but it's not annoying in the least - at least not to me.

THE LONELY BULL sounds better than it ever has before.

5. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

I picked up the original Denon pressing last week. I hadn't realised there was so much demand.

6. zen

zen Senior Member

These new one's are better.

AVOID the Shout Factory versions. As an example, the mastering for my favorite TJB album South of the Border was lacking in the high end (possible noise reduction) and jacked up low end for too much bass and kick drum. Other discs in that series weren't any better. The new one's sound really good by comparison; but the best one's are still the 80's discs, IMO.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
    ispace and AudiophilePhil like this.
  7. zen

zen Senior Member

Huh...I'll have to do an A/B with the 80's disc. Before this series, the Lonely Bull album (on CD) never sounded great.

8. HGN2001

I believe the '80s CD also suffered from severe panning left-right. Good if you're listening on an old Motorola console - not so good if you're listening on high-end headphones.

9. zen

zen Senior Member

10. HGN2001

Well, yeah - I wrote that.

But also just now, I've done an a/b comparison of the new HAP CD and the old A&M 88 CD. Actually, they compare very favorably in terms of stereo soundstage. The left/right panning on the '80s CD is not so severe. I'm mis-remembering it, probably from playing nearly exclusively the Shout mastering for the last decade. It's really about the same as the new CD.

I'd say that the new CD has just a touch more bass presence - nothing egregious - just a little bit more to solidify the recordings a bit. The one track it's most noticeable on is "Limbo Rock" and it's an ever-so-slight increase in the lower frequencies.

And man, every time I compare with a Shout version, I wonder what I ever saw in that one. It's actually what I'd now consider "bad".

PH416156, zen and AudiophilePhil like this.
  11. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

Wow! Even Coney Island is included!

I hope they included the single "El Bimbo" as a bonus track in "Coney Island".

Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
  12. HGN2001

CONEY ISLAND is indeed included in this batch, but don't get your hopes up for any bonus tracks. There are none in any of these. They are authentic re-issues of the original albums.

AudiophilePhil likes this.
  13. mr_mjb1960

Also,both the title track and its single flip "Acapulco 1922" has Overdubs,done because the Stereo Masters had been either wiped or were lost.

14. mr_mjb1960

But "Bullish" and one other title isn't.

15. AudiophilePhil

I hope the "Whipped Cream & Other Delights" album does not have bonus tracks either. It ruins the album even though the bonus tracks are added at the very end.

zen likes this.
  16. AudiophilePhil

Actually, that's good news!

zen likes this.
  17. HGN2001

BULLISH, JUST YOU AND ME, HERB ALPERT/HUGH MASEKELA, BLOW YOUR OWN HORN, HERB ALPERT & COLORS, SECOND WIND, PASSION DANCE - at least those are not included at present. We hear that "some", but not all, of those could be reissued at a later date.

18. HGN2001

The reason that there are overdubs of a horn on "Bull" and wood-block & percussion on "Acapulco" is that those two tracks were only ever recorded in mono. The overdubs were done for the stereo album version. If you find a mono copy of THE LONELY BULL LP, those two tracks are properly mono without the overdubs.

But all CDs have always used the stereo version - even if they were originally made-up stereo versions.

McLover likes this.
  19. zen

zen Senior Member

Good work. I enjoy reading your posts.

20. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

I bought one of those shout remasters- one too many.

nice that these new remasters appear to be "normal"

however, i will stick with my original vinyl- stereo / mono ( and i have a few of the 80's cd's)

can't buy these albums again

21. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

Also feel the same way. If there aren't any extras on here, I am hard-pressed to find a reason to spend my self-imposed "musical money allowance" on these. Not that I wouldn't want to, but I have other musical priorities at this point.

22. Mickey2

Mickey2 Forum Resident

23. AudiophilePhil

How about the CD casing of these new "Herb Alpert Presents" reissues?
    Are they as beautiful as the "Shout Factory" covers/packaging as shown below?

SHOUT FACTORY PACKAGING
    [​IMG]

24. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

I saw this thread last week. As a result I listened to Fandango for the first time in years. Jeez I love that record. Fell asleep to it last night.

25. HGN2001

The packaging on the new CDs are all consistent and all contain the original artwork minus any A&M logos or catalog numbers. All front and back covers are authentic, and all of these are gatefold card packaging. There are no new liner notes, and the few albums that originally had gatefolds are not reproduced here with the inside artwork.

All of the CDs themselves use a mini-LP style label with a Herb Alpert Presents logo in the nine o'clock position on a lighter tan/ochre color.

If one were to compare packaging alone, I'd give the edge to the Shout Signature series based on the included booklet alone, though those liner notes throughout the series (Josh Kun) were somewhat repetitive.

zen and AudiophilePhil like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.