Amoeba LA to close?

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by zakyfarms, Sep 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane. Thread Starter

Lord, let this not come to pass.

Is Amoeba Going To Get The Wrecking Ball For A Big Fancy Tower? »

Are you sitting down? We are sorry to ruin your afternoon, but we have some potentially terrifying news. Hollywood's beloved Amoeba Music may not be long for this world, at least in its current incarnation.

The iconic record store "instantly became a Hollywood landmark" when it opened on Sunset Boulevard in 2001, spanning an entire city block between Ivar and Cahuenga. Now, it looks like GPI Companies, a real estate group, could be planning to raze the famous building, "pave" vinyl paradise, and put up a 20-something story tower monstrosity, complete with a massive rooftop pool:

[​IMG]
    (Courtesy of Shimahara Illustrations)

This story was updated immediately after publication to include a statement from Councilman O'Farrell's office.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2016
  2. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

"Amoeba Records voluntarily decided to sell the property."

Yeah, they probably paid 9 mil, and they got an offer they couldn't refuse, like $34 mil. Amoeba owners figured better take the money now before it goes away.

3. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

I've worked in Hollywood for around thirty years and remember when Amoeba came in. Many of us were kind of pissed because it pretty much immediately put local record stores out of business. Aaron's in particular hurt when it went.
    We got used to things and eventually embraced Amoeba.
    Incredible selection and if you were patient and diligent all sorts of deals could be found.
    This news sucks ...

4. Same smurfs happening in every major city. But they will find another spot if need be.

melstapler likes this.
  5. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

I just visited this joint a little over a month ago. It's probably like my 15th time and I hope it doesn't close. I always enjoy my trips there. And I've eaten at that Jack In The Box a couple times too. I always park at the back and always found parking there.

6. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

LA has tons of vacant retail space. The recession is not over for commercial real estate, not here anyway.

skybluestoday and Mazzy like this.
  7. PsychGuy

PsychGuy Forum Resident

I heard about this last winter, in the context of Amoeba planning to leave the building when the lease was up, in a couple of years. Didn't post as it came from an out-of-town source, but she seemed to know what she was talking about. Guess she did.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
  8. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I can see the owners deciding to just move on and not bother opening another location unless the new rent terms were extremely favorable. Just ship the best of the remaining stock up to SF and be done with it.

9. the area has changed but Amoeba is a single destination spot so it really doesn't need to be so close to the new gentrified reborn Hollywood.

10. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

11. csampson

csampson Forum Resident

Another way to look at this is they will surely relocate to another building nearby and will have one hell of a relocation sale in the process to avoid having to move all of their store inventory.

12. aseriesofsneaks

aseriesofsneaks Forum Resident

Amoeba posted this on their Facebook page a few minutes ago:

"Y'all are asking questions about that article today...

We're going to remain in our building for the duration of our lease -- which is several years -- and Amoeba and the building owner are open to us potentially staying longer.

We are committed to staying in Hollywood and we appreciate all your concern and support!"

13. Em.

Em. Forum Resident

Amoeba just-now posted this on facebook:

[​IMG]

14. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

I went there in 2002, didn't realize that it was that new. What's the big deal? It isn't the first business that had to find a new location.

somnar likes this.
  15. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

They can always move to like, ahem.... OC or ahem ahem.... the IE.

Stuevts likes this.
  16. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

I'll keep my crack-pipe dream that they one day open a store New York............(and I'm not talking about Urban Outfitters)

mrdon, FVDnz, agaraffa and 3 others like this.
  17. The point to a lot of us from cities like LA, New York, San Francisco , Seattle , Austin and Portland are experiencing lots of these places are being turned into all High priced new condos and big chain retail. Lots of the soul is being sucked out and homes are going for over a million bucks. Artists Musicians are being pushed out. LA does have more space though so theres that.

18. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

I live in LA, about 10 minutes away from Amoeba. It's pretty sickening what is happening to this city. I'm sure that Amoeba will be out, no matter what they say, sooner than later. Greed always wins.

19. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

They should relocate to San Diego. They are welcome to open their store here.

Tony-A and ijustdontknow like this.
  20. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

Amoeba has posted on their facebook page that they are staying for the duration of their lease which is several more years and the building owner is open to them staying longer. Their post says they are committed to staying in Hollywood.

Grant and SixOClockBoos like this.
  21. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

Hoping that they don't move.It's one of my favorite places to go and buy records. I've been going there a lot often than usual now since I have a car. If it ends up moving, hopefully they could relocate somewhere in Glendale or Burbank. The commute will be much more shorter for me, but I'll miss seeing Hollywood if it does move.

22. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Things change. Time for other burgs to have their turn.

23. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

Bad things happened to my car thrice on my last three visits to Amoeba. First bad experience happened in their parking lot just outside their building. My brand new car accidentally hit a tire they used as a base for their parking lot post. A few months later, my car got towed after I parked in the parking lot of a burger place across them. A year later, my car window got smashed by a thief who stole my GPS. I got used to parking in SAn Diego without hiding my GPS and nothing happened to my car. I was wrong. LA is different! I went to the police station and the police officer told me "welcome to LA." I just told to myself, I will never go back there.

showtaper likes this.
  24. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

People get attached to a location with a specific atmosphere and vibe. You can understand that, I would hope.

SixOClockBoos and Baba Oh Really like this.
  25. Baba Oh Really

Baba Oh Really Certified "Forum Favorite"

More than you realize........................ in both business and in personal life as well. A change in location can turn an entire vibe around... and sometimes, relationships do not survive this disruption it is so powerful.

Grant likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.