The Who - New Box Set for 2015?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by marc with a c, Jun 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Leaving Here
    Motoring
    Lubie
    I'm A Man
    Heatwave
    Daddy Rolling Stone

Released on Who's and Two's Missing.

I strongly suspect those 6 songs comprise one side of the shelved mid-1965 LP. The question then is: where are the stereo mixes for the other side?

funkydude and Benn Kempster like this.
  2. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

But if you look at material released on BBC Session sets by the likes of Fairport Convention and Free etc who have used "off air" recordings to make sure that their collections are as complete as possible in terms of representing an era of the band, then using that mono TV soundtrack material is far more preferable that having CDs with running times of about 45 minutes. Surely it's good to have early, live, dangerous, exciting Who material out there at a time when the existing band is churning out repetitions of sets they've been playing for 5 years......?

Hell, even Jimmy Page consented to using a very ordinary sounding recording of Sunshine Woman for the upcoming expanded LZ BBC Sessions set.

DrBeatle likes this.
  3. funkydude

funkydude Forum Resident

Interesting. Looks like they specifically included "I'm A Man" and "Daddy Rolling Stone" for the US market as those songs weren't originally released there.

4. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Not sure what you mean. I'm A Man hadn't been released anywhere at the time the album was put together.

5. funkydude

funkydude Forum Resident

Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you meant a shelved follow-up to My Generation.

6. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

No, this was put together in mid-1965 and was shelved. My Generation came in its place a few months later after new songs were recorded.

Record Mirror - July 1965

THE WHO – FIRST ALBUM COMPLETED by John Emery
    The Who—the group you either "Love Or Hate!"

The group who put presentation first and music second, and whose off-beat stage act and ideas in dynamics have attracted just what they wanted, something that is vital in show business these days, publicity.

"I Can't Explain" or "Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere" haven't hit the high spots but they have certainly established The Who—and aroused interest in their first long player.

There is no definite release date for it yet, but it has been completed, although the actual titles and running order have still to be sorted out by Brunswick.

TALMY AGAIN

SHEL Talmy, who also records The Kinks, A and R'd the album which was entirely recorded at the I.B.C. Studios in Portland Place, W.I, and was assisted by engineer Glyn Johns.

Shel played me an acetate of nine of the tracks, but before I even heard them, one thing hit me slap in the face just looking at the titles—the lack of originality in choice of material.

Of the nine songs, eight were revived American items, originally recorded by such artists as James Brown, Martha and the Vandellas and Bo Diddley.

True, they are given that distinctive Who treatment but that might not be enough if they want to make a big impression with the album.

Their sound was supplemented throughout by piano, played by session man Nick Hopkins, who once played with Screamin' Lord Sutch.

LESS EFFECTS

ANOTHER interesting point is the fact that they have not used their electronic effects as extensively as one might have expected. The only track in which this "sound" really stands out is on "I'M A MAN", a Bo Diddley number that is given a completely original Who treatment.

The Bo Diddley version tends to become monotonous, but The Who have worked out certain climaxes at different points. This number lasts all of ten minutes when they perform it on stage but they had to trim it down for their album to just under half that time.

They make a good job of Martha and the Vandellas' "HEATWAVE", a number attempted by few groups. It is similar to the original and has some very notable vocal backings from Peter Townsend and bass player John Entwistle.

JAMES BROWN NUMBER

I DON'T MIND" might be chosen to open side one. It's a James Brown number sung well by Roger Daltrey, and a song that might well be popularised by this LP, as was "Walking The Dog" and "Route 66" by The Rolling Stones.

"LUBIE", another American item, has a persistent beat with chants of "Lubie Come Back Home" from Peter and John in the background.

Climax is used again in this one with a pause in the middle of the song where Roger slows the number down with spoken lyrics—then it is built up again to a crescendo.

"LUBIE" is a particularly long track, stretching to about four minutes.

"YOU'RE GOING TO KNOW ME" was written by Peter Townsend and is opened with guitar strumming and bursts into an up-tempo raver. There is some feedback used here.

"PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE" is another James Brown song and is recognised among the deeper R & B groups as a "Standard". The Who perform this well, and Peter Townsend stands out with a catchy solo.

ONE OF THE BEST

"LEAVING HERE" in my opinion, is one of the best tracks. It is an American number recorded a short time ago as a single by The Birds. Drummers should listen closely to this one— Keith Moon uses some great bass pedal work.

"MOTORING" is on the flipside of Martha and the Vandellas' "Nowhere To Run" and has to be heard several times before it is appreciated.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------

The Hypertext Who › Bibliography › Articles › '65 Record Mirror article about The Who's first recrod »

funkydude likes this.
  7. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

Licensing that stuff from each TV company is very expansive, especially for shows like Shindig. I don't think that would happen. And what is the point anyway?

Quadboy likes this.
  8. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

No specifics, but it sounds like this will be:

- original mono mix
    - 2014 stereo remix
    - associated singles/etc
    - Pete demos

Still unclear to me how you get 5 CDs from that, unless 1 or 2 of the "discs" are records.

dee and WhoTapes1 like this.
  9. hallucalation

Is this verified? Can you anyone tell me what is a new 2014 stereo remix? I only have deluxe edition from 2002. It is much different?

10. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

It's from someone involved with these things.

The 2014 remix is on iTunes, HDtracks, etc. Mixed in a more "'60s style" than the 2002 remix, but it also has new overdubs.

hallucalation likes this.
  11. hallucalation

New overdubs??

12. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Yes. Lead guitar on My Generation for example.

13. hallucalation

Including lost BBC sessions from 1965 would be nice along with High Numbers mono single (original 64 mixes, please).

14. funkydude

funkydude Forum Resident

called it :D

15. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

Oh dear...... Pete demos have no place on Who releases IMVHO.

WhoTapes1 likes this.
  16. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

The point being that it would be a good representation of what The Who were doing on stage at the time from the sources available. Far better to hear than Pete demos.

17. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

To each their own. I generally find Pete's demos more interesting than lo-fi live stuff.

Mechanical Man, dee, slipkid and 3 others like this.
  18. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

Absolutely but, as with his Tommy demos appearing on the Deluxe / Super Deluxe release, they have a FAR better place being released under their own steam, as a part of Pete's solo catalogue, than being tacked on as an afterthought to Who releases.

Spadeygrove likes this.
  19. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I don't necessarily disagree, but that hasn't been happening. Tommy Super Deluxe, for example.

20. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

Well to fill 5 discs. I'm hoping for The High Numbers studio recordings. & Unreleased early stuff like the Detours IT WAS. YOU & hopefully a couple unknown songs from 64-65. High numbers could certainly explain at least 1 disc. I'm pretty happy with my 2 disc deluxe My Generation from early 2000's.

Can't see spending $50 unless there's a few studio recordings I don't have.

hallucalation likes this.
  21. Surferghost

Surferghost Forum Resident

I can only stretch this to 4 discs in theory [and if I give them the benefit of the doubt that they wouldn't split the related recordings onto a seperate disc]. So unless they've done a real trawl of the archives and/or something amazing has turned up, I don't see a 5CD set being feasible.

1 Disc Original Mono Edition [plus related recordings]
    1 Disc New Stereo Edition [plus related recordings]
    1 Disc Demos ?
    1 Disc Live ?
    1 Disc ??

And yes, we shouldn't forget that 'disc' is a very malleable term these days. This could just be the proposed 3CD edition lukpac mentioned, with a couple of 7-inchers thrown in. Not very exciting... unless it's the start of a series of similar projects?
    [crosses fingers and other extremities for a super-duper Sell Out including the complete Fillmore '68]

22. Benn Kempster

Benn Kempster Who else?

But Disc 2 (1-23) was made up of demos.....

What it does tells me is that Pete is desperate to get the demos released and heard, which is absolutely great and they should be out there, but that he doesn't have any confidence in them under their own steam and their own merits as finished pieces whatsoever.

23. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Like I said:

- original mono mix
    - 2014 stereo remix
    - associated singles/etc
    - Pete demos

It sounds like there may be a few additional things that didn't make it in the 2014 downloads, but probably not much. There was no mention of live material.

I question whether Pete has anything to do with the demos being released. Maybe, but I can just as easily see it as "we don't have enough material, what else can we put on?"

Quadboy likes this.
  24. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

Maybe one disc of pre-Talmy

The 7 instrumentals
    + I'm the face
    Zoot Suit
    Here Tis
    +. It Was You
    + 1-2 unknown songs

Demos of Magic Bus, Call Me Lightning & My Generation from 65

25. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

well he did get involved with the Quad box demos (a bit too much!),but just gave permission with the Tommy ones.

reb likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.