Audio-Technica AT-LP120 Preamp Removal (Detailed Instructions Video)

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by FrankieP, May 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vlad951

vlad951 Forum Resident

Is there any chance that someone has the "I Love You More" sample before the mod? As the link that was posted in the OP is dead (the link to the sample after the mod still works, though).

Thanks in advance!

2. vlad951

vlad951 Forum Resident

multiformous likes this.
  3. The Slipperman

The Slipperman Forum Resident

So I tried this mod and broke my player before even cutting a single wire. Hopefully this can help someone else, but be careful when removing the bottom of the player as shown in the video. I have no idea why but my circuit board where the power cord plugs into the player snapped in half as I was taking off the bottom of the player. Hoping the good people at AT's parts department can hook me up with a replacement circuit board and I can find my old soldering iron.

4. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Best video here on the subject with technical explanation and sound comparisons.

OldSkoolFool and ex_mixer like this.
  5. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Oh god. Man, that's tragic. I'm really sorry that happened.

The Slipperman likes this.
  6. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

I can imagine myself trying to do this. :cry: for sure I would be on here screaming my head off about my broken TT.

ex_mixer likes this.
  7. marcob1963

marcob1963 Forum Resident

As someone who has done it (and I'm no DIY guy), I stress that it makes a substantial positive difference. The difference in sound is light & day.

I understand people's fear of doing damage, however, it would be about half an hour's work for a skilled technician. Shouldn't cost too much to get it done and believe me its worth it.

Dr. Metal MD likes this.
  8. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

What about just buying a TT without a pre amp in it. problem solved, I'm going to need a new TT soon, I want something a step up from Audio Technica AT- LP120 which I've owned since 2003.

9. The Slipperman

Audio Technica is awesome, they are sending me a replacement circuit board free of charge. I'll be upset if my soldering skills manage to screw up the replacement, which there is every chance of happening.. Hats off to AT though, their generous parts department (they also sent me free cartridge mounting screws when I lost some in my carpet) has made me a customer for life. It's nice to see someone giving a damn about customer goodwill and thinking long term and not sweating the one or two dollars these parts cost. Now if only they would make better preamps :D

ex_mixer, ScottInDallas and mooseman like this.
  10. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack

If AT were smarter, they would sell a different version without the preamp, same price, better for us, and cheaper for them to manufacture.

luithbert and mooseman like this.
  11. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

Agreed..:righton:

Marcev and Stuart S like this.
  12. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

They sent me the hinges for my dust cover that broke. They are a supper cool company, best for replacements.

ex_mixer and Stuart S like this.
  13. marcob1963

If its time for a step up, its time for a step up. However, be aware that you'll be lucky to find much (new) in the under $1000 region, that'll match the AT LP120 with preamp removed.

Dr. Metal MD, mooseman and Stuart S like this.
  14. lumogui

lumogui New Member

Hi all I just did the mod for the lp120 and now it wont turn on. The only thing I did different is I changed out the RCA cables for better ones. Any suggestions?
    Thanks!

15. The Slipperman

I have a question for AT-LP120 experts that is probably more of a generic electronics question. As mentioned in my previous posts, I broke a circuit board removing the bottom of my case and AT generously shipped me a replacement. The weird thing is the original broken one in the player is covered with a white thermal paste looking stuff and the replacement is not. I knew I would have to resolder the red and brown wires off of the old board and onto the new board but I'm not sure if the white stuff is thermal paste or something like that and if so, do I need to find out what it is and slather it on my new board?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
  16. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

That looks like a sticky foam to cover exposed contacts. Insulation tape should do the same thing but I doubt it makes a difference. Thought you broke the main board but that looks like just the power socket board.

17. Dr. Metal MD

Dr. Metal MD Forum Resident

The only thing that will likely beat a modded AT LP120 is a KAB modded Technics 1200. I bought a lightly used one and modded it with new tonearm, RCA wires, and a couple more minor things and it is a better TT than the LP120, but this still required a lot of handiwork that many may not feel comfortable doing. Fortunately, you can send your table to Kevin at KAB and he'll do them for you. I posted a how-to guide with pictures in a different thread for anybody interested.

Technics 1200 KAB Tonearm Rewire + RCA Upgrade Guide »

mooseman likes this.
  18. DoF

DoF Less is more...

Hi, what happens after the mod, apart better sound? Will I get hum when the needle doesn't touch the record, for example? Or everything stayes the same as it used to be with switched off preamp installed, but better sound? Thanks

19. rich100

rich100 Forum Resident

You shouldn't get any hum so long as you have the gnd wire attached correctly, in fact mine is absolutely silent when not playing anything compared to a faint hum I could hear when the pre amp was still in place.

DoF likes this.
  20. DoF

DoF Less is more...

Thank you very much.

rich100 likes this.
  21. DoF

DoF Less is more...

22. P2CH

P2CH Well-Known Member

I would think these cables are better suited for line-level applications rather than high impedance cartridge applications. I'm sure you'll have hum issues with these.

You also will need a separate ground wire to connect to your external pre-amp after you pull the inner pre-amp from the TT. Maybe you can find an assembly that incorporates this wire as part of the RCA cable? I know they're out there. Personally speaking, I wouldn't get too carried away with RCA cables just as long as they're a decent set.

They should be shielded though.

DoF likes this.
  23. DoF

DoF Less is more...

Yes, now I know they don't fit, learning from mistakes cost me 50 bucks this time, I am sticking to my TT cables for now.

24. DoF

DoF Less is more...

Technician's work is done! And it sounds even sweeter than before. I'm spinning The Hanging Tree off Fierfly LP by Uriah Heep, u can't beat the feeling -

Passing through the arms of Satan
    Reaching for the hands of God
    Robbing every mind for wisdom...

Thank you all!

DarkAudit and Dr. Metal MD like this.
  25. marcob1963

Well done, welcome to the club.

DoF and Dr. Metal MD like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.