SH Spotlight "Cecilia Ann" by the Pixies, yes, I wrote & recorded the song as The Surftones with my buddy Frosty

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Dec 31, 2011.

1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Got a big BMI writer's royalty check today for CECILIA ANN. Big check this time, is there a PIXIES revival going on somewhere in the world? Or did Elektra re-release some stuff?

melstapler and c-eling like this.
  2. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

MFSL did a SACD/LP in 2008/2010 for Bossanova Steve
    A new album in the works as well :cheers:

melstapler likes this.
  3. Steve Hoffman

That wouldn't explain the giant royalty bump. Something's up.

4. c-eling

? Streaming perhaps
    There have been no other hard copy re-issues/remasters...

5. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

You should buy an old Jazzmaster and get the Band back together!

Could it have made its way into a movie / tv soundrack?

c-eling likes this.
  6. popscene

popscene Senior Member

The movie Kicking And Screaming, directed by Noah Baumbach and including the song, kept coming up on my Netflix recommendations. I finally watched it...great film. Not to take credit for your big check or anything, but it was probably me. :laugh:

melstapler likes this.
  7. Steve Hoffman

It's on Netflix? Great! Yeah, it blew our minds when they chose it for the opening title credit music.

That song been berry berry good to me..

8. popscene

popscene Senior Member

And well deserved. It's become a classic.

(Oh, and I think it may have actually been Amazon Prime.)

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
  9. Mr Sam

Mr Sam "...don't look so good no more"

a De La Soul sample coming? :shh:

PH416156 likes this.
  10. klaatuhf

klaatuhf Forum Resident

So I'm a bit confused. Was this track actually recorded by Steve back in 1964 as someone alluded to and also is he connected with the Lancelot Link songs? or was this track actually recorded and released in 1989 as a homage to the surf guitar era? Great track BTW. precise Info would be welcomed.

11. Matthew B.

Matthew B. Scream Quietly

Per Steve, "around 1989." He'd have been a bit young to be recording it in 1964.

Vintage Surf, Drag, Rockin' Instrumentals From Downey Records - Coming on Ace Records »

12. Steve Hoffman

That's the OTHER Steve Hoffman, songwriter, musician. He did "Back Roads" etc...

13. Steve Hoffman

A Forum member was looking for this thread. Here ya go, courtesy bumpy.

14. winopener

winopener Forum Resident

And that's for you, Steve... live, november 2016.

One question: why not a mono mix?

15. Steve Hoffman

16. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

I love the story and the song.

I bought Bossanova the day it came out and my friend and I listened to it all day. That tune was one of my favorites from the album after "Velouria," "Is She Weird" and "Alison." That wholr album is really kinda surfy and that tune fits perfectly.

c-eling likes this.
  17. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

Wow. Awesome story.
    Doolittle came out when i was 17 and every release afterward was an EVENT!
    PIXIES were sorta my Beatles (and I had the full Beatles catalog to obsess with too).

c-eling likes this.
  18. c-eling

Was 17 in 1990. I had already picked up the Velouria single, so I had a pretty good idea of what was to come. Tons of good energy and still a favorite today.
    I was completely shocked that 'The Thing' they used for the b-side was an edit from 'The Happening' cool :cool:

19. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

When Bossanova came out me and all my friends and everyone I knew thought it sucked and the Pixies had gone soft and lost their edge. It was a big dissapointment in college radio land. They were so important to us and we felt let down in a major way. It hurt. Our idols had died. We had to move on.

I like the album now but at the time it was a pretty contetious album and seemed like they had lost their mojo. I think in hindsight it was the beginning of the end. This album will always make me sad.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
    moj likes this.
  20. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

Came to know this song from a great surf band from Croatia called the Bambi Molesters who recorded it in 2003 as a "bonus track" on a re-recorded version of their debut. If you can track that original CD down (if you like surf of course), do it; as far as I know they never overdubbed anything and it was all recorded live in a monster 3-hour session. It sounds like it came straight out of a garage in the '60s. They re-recorded the album in 2003 and made it sound a lot cleaner; it's nice, I can actually hear lots more melodies this time around, but it lacks the genuine-ness (I don't know if there's a word for that) of the original. Aaaand 2003, you can probably guess the sound quality. Maybe Steve can have a go at it sometime? :laugh:

I'd been listening to the band long before I discovered this forum, but it was only after I joined that I decided to research these "Surftones", and - hey! I recognize that name!

Thanks for posting the story of its creation, by the way - that was a great read! As a minor surf nut, it was cool to learn about the "never-band" that always was.

Aftermath and VinylRob like this.
  21. Django

Django Forum Resident

I never heard the original until now. Really cool, love spring reverb pinging away.
    The first chord on the pixies version, before the drums kick in.....love that.

22. Steve Hoffman

That's a worthy cover, thanks!

InStepWithTheStars likes this.
  23. Steve Hoffman

It's funny to me to hear how these bands who cover the song incorporate the mistakes that Frosty and I made into the "in stone" arrangement. Cracks me up.

24. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

Again, I urge you to check out the debut album if you like the old '60s surf stuff. Here's a video of the whole album, unfortunately in dreadful YouTube sub-quality:

The album unfortunately has become very rare, there was a vinyl reissue but that too has fallen out of print. I'd been searching for the CD since 2013 and finally found it last September - definitely worth it though.

25. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

Oh wow not us. We were in college too and there were far harder rocking and weirder bands in the world. The thing with the Pixies to us was that they were super creative and innovative. So this seemed like a natural step. It's my favorite overall Pixies album.

Juan Matus likes this.