Teenage Fanclub Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by wayneklein, Jul 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harry Hood

Harry Hood Forum Resident

Surprised nobody's posted this yet. But maybe it's not well known enough, hidden away on the Neil Jung cd single. The Yo La Tengo original is wonderful, but this is even wonderfuler!

hutlock, hamicle, the sands and 2 others like this.
  2. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

The Bevis Frond original is wonderful, but this is even wonderfuler!

the sands likes this.
  3. Larry Loves LPs

Larry Loves LPs Forum Resident

Just spinning the new record now that the kids are in bed and the Nationals game is over. Anyone else listened yet?

4. Marty T

Marty T Stereo Fan

Yeah, I just started an album specific thread but in case it is removed, here's what I wrote:
    The new Teenage Fanclub album arrived today with a sticker featuring a Spin Magazine review praising their last LP. I considered that to be a bad sign as in they didn't have the confidence to send out review copies of the current album or if they did, the album didn't conjure any worthwhile quotes. I liked the last two albums well enough but this one comes off as one great A-side followed by eleven B-sides. And each writer, Norman, Gerald and Raymond, is repeating themselves shamelessly on one or more of their 4 tracks each.

However, B-sides can grow on you, so we'll see.
    -Marty

5. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

woah , thats harsh , album is only out on friday here in europe but i am anxious ,
    huge fan of the band but disppointed with last album , too mellow for me
    i have big hopes with this one , lets wait for the week end

trumpet sounds likes this.
  6. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

It's an industry in itself. Most rock critics are told what to write about and most of that depends on how much an artist or record label is willing to pay for publicity. A negative review of an album generates far more publicity than no review at all. The quality of an album has very little bearing in the scheme of things.

7. wayneklein

wayneklein Forum Fool Thread Starter

Hey I will take an album of B-sides by these guys over an album of A material from most bands. By the way, there is a signed edition at the teenage fan club website.

melstapler likes this.
  8. wayneklein

wayneklein Forum Fool Thread Starter

The CD comes out tomorrow so I haven't heard it just yet. I live in hope that these guys will get an SACD or high defphysical release but it's not likely.

9. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

Are there any killer b-sides from the Songs From Northern Britain era? I've just fallen in love with that album, and I'm guessing there's gotta be a few choice b-sides. Suggestions?

Lightworker likes this.
  10. Long Live Analog

Long Live Analog Forum Resident

Love me some Teenage Fanclub. My local indie stores can't keep their new one in stock.

11. DCW

DCW been a-boogeyin' since I ditched the stroller.

I love "Time Stops" from "Man-Made". It's genius.

Man at C&A likes this.
  12. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

Some of the most killer b-sides from any band, ever: 'Middle of the Road' and 'He'd Be a Diamond' are among the best things the band ever did: stunningly great songs, and there are also gorgeous covers of Big Star's 'Jesus Christ' and the VU's 'Femme Fatale' - and plenty more fun stuff too.

Man at C&A and TheWarmth like this.
  13. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

He'd Be A Diamond is also a cover (Bevis Frond).

14. Claxton

Claxton I like chicks and cars and partyin’ hard

The new album...I like a lot of the songs, but I'm just not a fan of the production/sound. Those drums...:sigh:

Man at C&A likes this.
  15. parkmebike

parkmebike I'm in love with a girl...

I've played the new album 4-5 times and nothing really jumps out at me yet. Seeing them live next month, perhaps hearing some of the songs live will give me a new perspective. Haven't seen them live since 1994, so looking forward to it!

16. Randy S

Randy S Ibuprofen junkie In Memoriam

I've just discovered this thread...I absolutely love the new album. Need to get another of those wall hanger thingies...

[​IMG]

17. boiledbeans

boiledbeans Forum Resident

Man at C&A likes this.
  18. dlemaudit

dlemaudit Forum Resident

19. boiledbeans

boiledbeans Forum Resident

Johnny Marr disagrees with you.

Johnny Marr Talks About the Cribs and Modest Mouse, Not About the Smiths | Pitchfork »

"Pitchfork: What attracted you to this band?

JM: I heard them and was really knocked out by their song "Hey Scenesters!" I actually had one of those moments I've read about, where I heard the track in the car. I didn't actually need to pull over to the side of the road and get oxygen, but I was really knocked out by it. I immediately downloaded the rest of the album when I got home. And then I listened to that record for a while. For the longest time, when I was asked about what bands I like, it was the Cribs, and they got to hear about that."

20. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

I like the new album. It's kind of okay and ordinary. It is perhaps how it should be now. Hip to be square.

Lightworker likes this.
  21. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

A thing of beauty Randy....

22. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

They absolutely slayed in Brooklyn tonight - such a better show than the Bowery Ballroom 4 or so years ago. The band was engaged, visceral, and had balls... and whatever the instrumental was that they did in the encore with Ira from Yo La Tengo was damn near transcendent.

I think I need to pick up the most recent albums - I jumped off after Man-Made.

23. gohill

gohill Senior Member

That'd be Yo La Tengo's I Heard You Looking, i would imagine. Norman joined Yo La Tengo onstage in Glasgow the last time i saw them, to do this, and i have seen TFC do this live before on the Grand Prix tour. It is such a classic.

JuanTCB likes this.
  24. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

Thanks - I had no idea! Just found a studio version on a "Neil Jung" CD single and pulled the trigger.

25. gohill

gohill Senior Member

Get the original by Yo La Tengo on their 'Painful' album, too. Great song, great band, great album.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.