Paddy Mcaloon's I Trawl The Megahertz reissue

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by garyt, Aug 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. garyt

garyt Forum Resident Thread Starter

Both threads on this wonderful album are locked, so I've started this new one because word is starting to get out that Sony will be reissuing the album on 'all formats' in October, so get your orders in for the limited edition wax cylinder edition early as it's sure to sell out fast!
    This was mentioned on a Prefab Sprout FB page yesterday, and as of now, details are not available. As I find out more info I'll update the thread. Hopefully there will be at least a vinyl edition, if not a high-res version as well.

2. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Hurrah. A vinyl edition will be super welcome. Gonna listen to the album now, in fact.

Beamish13 likes this.
  3. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

I'v heard this too, but haven't seen any more details. If it's out in October, someone must know something...

4. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

This seems to have dropped off the radar... for now, but wait, what's this?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Recent(ish) posts on Keith Armstrong's Instagram page. Something's clearly afoot. Any ideas?

5. AveryKG

AveryKG Sultan of snacks

rogertheshrubber likes this.
  6. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

The man on the left in the top photo is apparently Spike's broth, Cinque...

7. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member

Any more updates on this one? I'm a big fan of this album, and doubt I'd buy another copy of the CD just to do so, but could see picking up an LP (or the CD if there were any bonuses).

8. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

Great beard. More Santa Claus than hipster. It's fine with me. Hope his tinnitus is better, enjoyed the last one-man band Prefab Sprout album.

Man at C&A and noahjld like this.
  9. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Nothing so far. Fingers crossed though...

10. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Thx for heads up.

11. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

It seems like Paddy has finished work on a soundtrack for a Spike Lee movie. Let's hope it gets released...

12. joe1320

joe1320 Forum Resident

Wondering if we ever see box set from Paddy

Mr Day, sekaer and noahjld like this.
  13. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Nothing concrete but more rumours - this time that it will be released under the Sprout name rather than Paddy's.

There was a radio programme called Megahertz about short wave radio that was hosted by Jarvis Cocker and which featured Paddy. Worth looking for.

14. joe1320

joe1320 Forum Resident

Anything from Paddy is welcome

15. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

Did the vinyl reissue ever come out? Or is everyone still patiently waiting?

16. PhilipB

PhilipB Forum Resident

17. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

manicpopthrill likes this.
  18. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Medium wave radio could have had a better album cover.

19. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

The article says Nov. 8th release date, but the pre-order page for the CD at amazon uk has a date of Feb 1, 2019.

While a cool event and cool little article, that Nov. date needs a-changin'. :D

20. monotone

monotone I know noothing.

If we can't get new music from mr McAloon this'll do nicely, thank you.

21. PhilipB

PhilipB Forum Resident

That's just dating when the press release came out (i.e. today) surely?

22. DetroitDoomsayer

DetroitDoomsayer Forum Middle Child

My mistake, my reading comprehension needs improving.
    Still odd that the headline references the date of Sony's press release.

23. bisonrav

bisonrav Well-Known Member

Sproutology here... The rule I have with anything that looks like an interview is to use the date of the interview if known, or the date the piece was released. It's a bit idiosyncratic, but rules is rules.

If you go to the other piece on the album Pre-order “I Trawl the Megahertz” on Limited Edition White Vinyl from Rough Trade - you'll find the Rough Trade shipment dates are a little before the Sony dates (these are also the dates you'll find for the standard releases of vinyl and cd at Amazon etc).

Note that the format of the LP is a double, side 1 is megahertz, side 2 is etched vinyl (picture) and the remaining tracks are on sides 3 and 4.

If you want a white vinyl Rough Trade only release I should get a move on. The click throughs to the site are racking up quite fast.

smilin ed likes this.
  24. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

Great news. That is one beautiful cover.

smilin ed likes this.
  25. bisonrav

bisonrav Well-Known Member

There's a link in the page I referenced above to the Jarvis Cocker radio show where Paddy discussed the album - it's part of a longer show but it's all wonderful. It's hosted on the site so no issues with accessing it outside the UK (the show is also up on BBC iPlayer).

If you want to swim a bit in Megahertz soup, look at the interviews section on sproutology and anything in 2003, but particularly the video interview which is great.

And I guess there's the "if you like this, you might like..." piece. Paddy always seems to reference Gavin Bryars' "Jesus Love Never Failed Me Yet", which if you don't know it, is pretty much the perfect soundtrack to remembrance weekend. Not the Tom Waits version though, go for the 1971 original. But also in the piece and in the section I referenced John Adams' "Christian Zeal and Activity" which is closer in a way to ITTM. There are a couple of versions, the one I prefer loops a segment with an American preacher, but there's another with a different loop, a radio recording. Either or both is worth a listen.

AveryKG likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.