Sting: The Studio Collection – solo career-spanning vinyl box (09/30/2016)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, Jul 26, 2016.

1. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member Thread Starter

See #2 for the description from the label: "with both Brand New Day and Sacred Love available on vinyl for the first time ever."

2. keiron99

keiron99 Forum Resident

Reasonable value for £100.

Would like to see a similar release for The Police too. My Polic vinyl is not in great shape. (Or maybe there was such a release in recent years and I missed it?)

Sadcafe likes this.
  3. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Well.... very few things are hard to find on the Internet but "Mercury Falling" is really not that common on vinyl. In fact it's the only Sting vinyl I have never seen in the flesh.

Szeppelin75 likes this.
  4. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

5. Redbook

Redbook >> 16 Bits of Glory <<

Analogue cutting for these albums isn't possible anyway. Every Sting album was recorded and mixed in the digital domain. Except for "turtles" which was an analogue multitrack with a digital stereo mix. The first three albums are extremely cheap on vinyl and they sound very good. Mercury Falling would be nice as a record but I don't really care about Brand New Day and Sacred Love

Johan1880 and JeffMo like this.
  6. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

Rob Mathes hinted at digital multi tracks for 'Turtles' :

A word on the Sting Box Set-just announced »

How do you know the multitracks are analogue?
    This thread doesn't seem to give an answer on the question raised because the MFSL Turtles cd has a DDD spars code:

Sting - The Dream Of The Blue Turtles (PICTURES) »

7. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

It surprisingly of all the Sting titles got a Back To Black reissue a few years ago. I own a copy of the original so can confirm it's existence.

8. teag

teag Forum Resident

It appears the blog from Rob is talking about CD releases, or did I miss something?

Are the vinyl LPs due to be released in September remixed as well as remastered?

9. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

Yes, Rob was talking about remastering for the cd's that were in the 25 Years box (2011). Apparently the right masters weren't exactly readily available, but he had to dig for them.
    I don't know that tapes they used for (re-)mastering the 2016 vinyl. No remixing as far as I know.

10. Redbook

Redbook >> 16 Bits of Glory <<

Even MFSL can make mistakes. The original CD contains the ADD Spars Code but that doesn't mean much either. Of course I can't prove it, but on Sting's Website "Nothing Like the Sun" is claimed to be Stings first full digital album. There's also threat on gearsluts.com, saying that Blue Turtles was multitracked on analog tape. Sting.com > Discography > ...Nothing Like The Sun »

Shak Cohen, nikolas and Johan1880 like this.
  11. wongcop

wongcop New Member

Hi, any idea if this is a US pressing or...?

12. Classicrock

These are available as separate titles now. Tempted to buy Brand New Day and Sacred Heart as they were CD only. Have the rest on vinyl but would buy box at £115 if they sound better (not really likely given the quality of the originals). Anyone bought these yet and made comparisons with original vinyl?

Szeppelin75 likes this.
  13. pghmusiclover

I'm pretty sure the box and individual titles aren't even released until Friday 09/30.

14. Szeppelin75

Im in line for Brand New Day and Sacred Heart. Two more days to go.

15. Classicrock

That is more than reasonable - just look at what they are charging for Stones in Mono (extra £200 for 2 more Lps and a book). No brainer if you don't have them on vinyl. Problem 2 albums I don't have on vinyl (Cd only) are £48 individually and it's possible some others may better originals (which were all good mastering and pressings).

16. paolo

paolo Senior Member

So the AAA Beatles Mono Box Set and AAA 1962-66 and 1967-70 LPs which were cut at Abbey Road via the customised Studer A80 with preview head they had specially recommissioned ended up in a dumpster?

17. Classicrock

Abbey Road can cut AAA or from digital! The half speed system they use involves conversion to hi-res that's all. Google for Miles Showell's explanation. Do you think they dump precious equipment these days? In fact Showell recently cut the new Eleanor McEvoy AAA. (I assume that dumpster comment was sarcastic).

paolo likes this.
  18. paolo

paolo Senior Member

I can neither confirm nor deny your hypothesis sir ;)

19. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Yes, this was the point, that specifically half-speed mastering at Abby Road is cut from digital

20. pghmusiclover

I see the online audiophile retailers have this in stock. I'm waiting to order mine from B&N, who I hope will be sending out some discount coupons soon!

21. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

My original UK Ten Summoner's Tales single LP sounds great. 24 minutes per side is really not excessive. With 15 minutes per side for a 12" 45rpm being about max for maintaining sonics, certainly a 24 minute side is not going to greatly impinge on sonics.

22. Anne Elk (Miss)

Anne Elk (Miss) Well-Known Member

I always thought 22 minutes per side was the upper limit for high quality because anything greater requires groove walls that are too thin. I'm not sure, however, that I'd prefer to have a 48-minute record split over four sides. 12 minutes per side would irritate me.

Albums that last 44-60 minutes would be better spread over three sides with bonus tracks on Side Four, in my opinion.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
  23. gpg6212

gpg6212 Well-Known Member

So they can do this but they can't reissue Synchronicity :sigh:

24. Szeppelin75

An original in good shape can be found at a cheap price.

pghmusiclover likes this.
  25. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

I didn't say it would "greatly" affect sonics, the marketing says they're going to "ensure EXCEPTIONAL audio quality", not "we're going to keep Ten Summoner's Tales as a single LP because 24 mins/side isn't too EXCESSIVE and won't GREATLY IMPINGE on sonics".

How many people here would be champing at the bit to buy an LP advertised as such, lol.

In the eMusician article on vinyl mastering from John Golden (www.goldenmastering.com), George Ingram (www.nashvillerecordproductions.com), Pete Lyman (www.infrasonicsound.com), and Richard Simpson (Erika Records :: Vinyl Record Manufacturer :: Frequently Asked Questions »), they state "You'll have a better-sounding record, especially if you keep the length of each side under 20 minutes"

RTI states the optimum time for 33rpm is 16 to 18 mins and for 45rpm is 10 mins, optimum means "the greatest degree or best result obtained" so for me if the Sting releases are going to be "exceptional" (ie - superior) then Ten Summoner's Tales should be 2LP.

That's the gist of what I was saying.

Johnny Vinyl and RubenH like this.