Sting: The Studio Collection – solo career-spanning vinyl box (09/30/2016)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Redbook

Redbook >> 16 Bits of Glory <<

The exeptional sound you can get from the original CD of Ten Summoner's Tales, without any side flipping and inner grove distortion. It won an award as best engineered album, and down to the fact it was a DDD recording from 1993 it shouldn't exceed the CD playback capabilities (at least not by a huge margin.. dunno maybe the mix was 16/48 and not 44.1 ...). If you just wanna have it in record form, I think a normal single 33rpm LP should do it good enough

2. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

My reissue of this album, on Back to Black sounds great on just one record.

So has anyone ehard the new reissues?

3. Redbook

I saw some new Sting LP's in the shop today with their fancy hype stickers and geez.. 30€ for "...Nothing Like the Sun" and 23€ for Soul Cages, what a joke. The bigest problem IMO for all of those reissue series is the price. Like 27€ for a single Queen single LP album and now 23€ for Sting and Pink Floyd records. Especially for Sting records can be found as I said before, for a couple of Peanuts in the second hand shops. If they were below 20€ it would make a big difference if you wanna buy more than just one album. And since they're all cut from digital masters, they can produce as many records/stampers as they want. Not that I care so much, the digital step makes the production a lot easier. Strange enough the Dire Straits records are now around 15€ over here, if the originals wheren't so excellent I would buy these reissues.

4. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

Anybody know whether 1999's Brand New Day was also done as DDD ?

5. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member Thread Starter

I suppose this is no more absurd than reissuing Jesse Colin Young on audiophile vinyl for $25 or Eddie Money on 200 gram vinyl for $35 when you can literally find these used $1.00 or even less! For what it's worth, Sting albums are not very common, at least here in the States.

Szeppelin75 likes this.
  6. Stan94

Stan94 Forum Resident

Most reissues are in the €20 range. Certainly a lot of money when you consider the original issues were a lot cheaper and 2nd hand copies can be bought for a lot less. However, new pressings are great sometimes.

7. Redbook

Well I can't speak for the US then I only know in Germany and the UK you can get them for the price of a chew gum in second hand stores and flea markets. Of course I'd like to know how these new reissues sound like but the price is to high for my taste. I even got a very late soviet pressing of " Soul cages" and it sounds pretty damn good

8. OldSkoolFool

OldSkoolFool Forum Resident

Anyone get this yet?

Szeppelin75 likes this.
  9. JasonA

JasonA Forum Resident

Apparently Sting got his copy already:

10. teag

teag Forum Resident

So chew gum is quite expensive over there I guess....amazing....

Redbook likes this.
  11. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

That's what I have just paid for mine, seems to me too that it's reasonable value for 8 albums, 11 bits of vinyl.

12. Anne Elk (Miss)

Anne Elk (Miss) Well-Known Member

Obviously didn't order his from the Universal Store.

JasonA likes this.
  13. NeilL

NeilL Active Member

Bought Ten Summoners Tales reissue today. Cover and lyrics inlay look a little bit shabby, like an old photocopy (but that may be authentic to the original, I'm not sure). Main thing is it sounds very good to me, Its Probably Me and Shape of My Heart in particular. No pops or crackles, no complaints.

JeffMo and Szeppelin75 like this.
  14. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

Tomorrow!

15. wwright

wwright Forum Resident

Any other thoughts on the sound quality?

16. jrnyfn

jrnyfn Forum Resident

Received TST and TSC today. Listening to TST now. Sounds good. As has been noted previously this is quite a good recording to begin with.
    I also have the Back to Black version and it seems rather comparable to it when it comes to packaging. Haven't compared the two.

TSC sounded really good, however the second side had a couple of clicks and one non-fill spot. Need to clean it again and replay to see if it was an anomaly.

17. WhatTheFlac

WhatTheFlac Forum Resident

:righton:

Szeppelin75 likes this.
  18. WhatTheFlac

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
    audiotom likes this.
  19. Anne Elk (Miss)

Mine's just been delivered. I'll need to wash them before playing so I'll start to listen later today. I listened to Turtles and ...Nothing Like last night (my only other Sting vinyl) so hopefully I'll be able to tell if there's any difference.

20. Anne Elk (Miss)

I'm listening now. I'm not ecstatic. It seems like everything's been pushed into the middle and they've lost the bass punch and sparkling top that the original pressings had. ...Nothing Like The Sun seems to be an improvement on Turtles (and Side Two is wider than Side One) but still isn't quite as good as the original pressing, to my ever-ageing ears on my basic system, anyway. I'll be very interested to hear what audiophiles with decent systems think. There's nothing awful about them, they're just 'nice' and 'pleasant'. I guess some people would say that's what Sting's music is anyway but these new pressings don't seem as punchy as the (only moderately punchy) originals.

EDIT: I'm floundering with ...Nothing Like. 'We'll Be Together' sounded like it was mastered for MP3 and earbuds but then 'Straight To My Heart' and 'Rock Steady' sound like a record again.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
  21. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

We'll be Together has always sounded bad to me. I have the original vinyl and that track stands out as the worst sounding for some reason, particularly as tracks like Fragile sound so good...

Anne Elk (Miss) likes this.
  22. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

I've been listening to most of the records in the box and these are my first thoughts:
    The new ones Brand New Day and Sacred Love sound a bit thin and pale when I put up the SACD versions.
    (This is my general experience with vinyl and highres files: when the vinyl does not have the advantage of an all analog cut from an analog master, I prefer the highres in most cases.)

Dream of the blue turtles: sounds very different than my MFSL vinyl. Have to listen to both again.
    Nothing Like... sounds good, no major differences with the original and smoother /more pleasant that my MFSL cd.
    Last ship: should have been a double lp. Practical Arrangement at the end of side 1 still suffers from inner groove distortion. Missed opportunity to get this underrated album right on vinyl.

Artwork: it's clear they didn't use the original artwork (like Peter Gabriel recently) but scanned sleeves and did some photoshopping to enhance colors. They look very nice until you see an original that has the sharp details in the photographs and the right colors. The copy they scanned for The Soul Cages even has damage in the painting on the cover.

Overall: very nice box but not essential when you have originals. I hope highres for the first 5 albums are on their way and expect that to be a major improvement sound wise.

Anne Elk (Miss) likes this.
  23. Anne Elk (Miss)

OK. I might do a more diligent comparison tomorrow with fresh ears and focus on those tracks.

I enjoyed The Soul Cages and Ten Summoner's Tales more than Turtles but I don't have any other pressings to compare. That's as far as I got tonight.

Thanks for your observations overall. I'm particularly interested in this one, since it's the record I found most disappointing (so far).

richbdd01 likes this.
  24. WhatTheFlac

:righton:

25. kingofstoneage

kingofstoneage Forum Resident

Yesterdayi received the boxset. Pressings are good and the mastering is good also! The pictures of the covers could be better, but no real problem!
    I only listend to DOTBT and NLTS and MF.