CTI Japan 2013 "Supreme Collection" Series (Direct from Masters- No EQ Added)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by noname74, Dec 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leroy Bad

Leroy Bad Forum Resident

leshafunk likes this.
  2. liv3evil

liv3evil Forum Resident

I bought all 40 of the 9/7/16 CDs for $10/each via CD Japan. $20 per-LP for high-res is too steep for me!

But that said, are you somehow able to bypass the JP-only e-onkyo.com restriction?

3. Leroy Bad

Leroy Bad Forum Resident

LOL $20 is the limited sales price. Normally they are $38 for the hardcore.
    In the pass I used Japanese proxy servers to make puchases. But this time I'll just stick with the CDs. My order should arrive today.

4. Leroy Bad

Leroy Bad Forum Resident

And after hearing the 5 CDs I bought. I can tell you that they don't sound as good as a the first Supreme Collection batch, and definetly not worth the hi res download. they all suffer from narrow stereo imaging and an overall dull sound.
    Virgin Land is the best sounding and sounds like the previous issue from 2007, and Crawl Space doesn't sound that much different from it's previous issue which wasn't that great. Upon This Rock is a bit punchier and less harsh as the Wounded Bird issue but still very flat. In Temple Garden sounds like a cleaner vinyl rip from the one I was introduced to, treble is a bit harsh on this one. I haven't gotten to Firefly yet.
    However all these albums area still great music wise. Both Crawl Space and In A Temple Garden, have these upbeat groovy tracks with amazing solos that are really a blast to listen to and over shadow the problems sound quality, as I still really enjoyed those two the most. Definetly worth $10, but not $20.

5. Is the dynamic range still fully intact?

6. Leroy Bad

Leroy Bad Forum Resident

Yes, still plenty of DR.

7. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian Thread Starter

Flat mastering like the first batch?

8. Leroy Bad

Leroy Bad Forum Resident

Yep.

noname74 likes this.
  9. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I ordered 22 of them from cdjapan in three separate orders; should start arriving next week.

10. Fred68

Fred68 Loves Music

You guys are hardcore! I ordered one (The Sugar Man).

Malina and liv3evil like this.
  11. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

nine for me from this second series, fifteen from the first.

liv3evil and Fred68 like this.
  12. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

16 from this second series on the way...

Lonson and Fred68 like this.
  13. liv3evil

liv3evil Forum Resident

With respect, especially to the music, a relatively narrow stereo image and somewhat dull sound is the sound of CTI, no? If the Supreme Collection releases are flat, no EQ transfers, then what we are getting is what is on the tape(s). I am reminded of the late 80s Epic/CBS Associated releases on CD, and how I was oft impressed by the music/musicality, but the sound took some getting used to as it sounded almost muffled or like a veil was over the stereo image.

Just listened to Airto's "Virgin Land" having never heard it in my life. What a great, and great-sounding, album! I'm not talking smack, but p'haps it sounds as good it does vs. lack of RVG involvement (it was engineered by Ed Barton & David Palmer). I had no idea Billy Cobham produced it, either. 'Peasant Dance' nearly made my head explode!

There are so many CTI/kUDU albums I know well, and many others I've never heard before...I am looking forward to being pleasantly surprised again and again. In all 80 of the Supreme Collection releases, there are maybe 20+ albums I've never heard before.

driverdrummer likes this.
  14. liv3evil

liv3evil Forum Resident

Yikes! Sorry for the multi-posts. They weren't shown as going through this AM (I suspect forum maintenance), but apparently they all did.

I mean, I am full of myself, but...

Any Gort possibly paying attention, please delete.

15. Leroy Bad

Leroy Bad Forum Resident

I was comparing the titles to the first batch. I bought over 30 of the collection 1 albums. And 4 of the albums of collection 2 I just got dont sound as good. I agree with you on Virgin Land. I already said that it was the best sounding of the batch I received. Firefly is ok too, but not good enough for the ¥2000 hi res download. In a Temple Garden, Crawlspace and Upon This Rock sound similar to previous issues which were not good sounding either. I have no idea what the story is behind those.
    a lot of those CBS releases used bad Dolby noise filtering which made them sound dull and lack bass.

16. I just picked this up on vinyl and am spinning it right now. This record is cut very loud and has a nice sound. I am needledropping it.

17. SteelyTom

SteelyTom Forum Resident

Thanks for the heads-up on Virgin Land! Any other CTI/Kudu albums (particularly the latter) worth snapping up from this bunch?

18. liv3evil

liv3evil Forum Resident

In my case it's also the kUDU releases that I am least (if not at all) familiar with. Almost maybe 60% of the releases in the 2nd 2016 batch are totally foreign to me! Which is why I just bought the lot.

That being said, of the CTI records in this batch that I really enjoy and am looking forward to dissecting (!), definitely all the Hubbard releases (Sky Dive, First Light, Keep Your Soul Together, Polar AC), Turrentine's "Salt Song" is a favorite (it'll be interesting to see how it compares to prior issues), Farrell's "Moon Germs", and Milt Jackson's "Olinga".

In the digital realm, I am only privy to the 80s Epic/CBS CDs for "Olinga" and "Sky Dive", so I am hoping for much more lively sonics. Though, again, the original LPs - especially "Olinga" if memory serves - don't exactly sound vigorous.

SteelyTom likes this.
  19. Magritte66

Magritte66 Forum Resident

On Sky Dive, Povo is a litlle shorter than on the CBS cd. RVG must have cut it that way and it's a Keith Jarrett part that is cut.

20. Leroy Bad

Leroy Bad Forum Resident

Yes the previous Japanese issue has the shorter version too.

21. Received 3 more titles from the 2nd batch:

Freddie Hubbard - First Light
    Art Farmer - Crawl Space
    Stanley Turrentine - Salt Song

I was mainly interested in titles I don't own already (either on CD or vinyl). Have only been able to listen to "First Light" so far, but that one sounds nice to me.

I like it that the series is budget priced and is making some titles available which are hard to find otherwise. I'll probably get a few more down the road.

Dan Steele, rbp and Lonson like this.
  22. Leroy Bad

Leroy Bad Forum Resident

So after a year break from CTI stuff. I decided to check out what was still available. I noticed that some are running out of stock at most places. I decided to pick up some more titles that I like before they're gone.
    Sky Dive - Hubbard
    Bad Benson - Benson
    Moon Germs - Farrell
    Keep Your Soul Together - Hubbard
    First Light - Hubbard
    Black Widow - Schifrin
    Body Talk - Benson
    Olinga - Jackson
    Joe Farrell Quartet
    Silk - Fuse One
    I've only gone through the first 3 and they actually sound really good, very clean, with Moon Germs sounding the best.

Dan Steele and liv3evil like this.
  23. I decided to order a few more as well.

Two Gabor Szabo titles, Milt Jackson/Olinga, Joe Farrell/Upon This Rock and two more which I already have on vinyl.

I also have bought a few more CTI and Kudu titles on vinyl recently.

Which titles seem to become more scarce now/are going out of stock?

24. scottc1963

scottc1963 Forum Resident

Where is everyone buying the CD's from?

25. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

I'm going to guess CDJapan, Amazon or ImportCDs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.