De Agostini - 'The Beatles Vinyl Collection' mail order set via subscription

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by OneStepBeyond, Oct 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member Thread Starter

I've been thinking that this would/could be of interest....

The Beatles Vinyl Collection »

I found this out, a couple of weeks ago and am surprised there has only been a little mention of it in another thread which discusses their 'Jazz On 33..' collection. I can vouch for the quality of that (though some have had problems - mainly with their customer service, sadly) as I have acquired some of those albums. Going by pictures on the site, we're looking at the stereo versions and like the Jazz ones, they may be just a little unique in their own way by including the imprint of the publishing company and date on the bottom of the back sleeves.

I am wondering if this Beatle collection will sell in decent amounts... very likely, due to it being... The Beatles. But these things can tail off and they have been known to abandon partworks if sales are that poor. I can't really see it in this instance though. The magazines will be essential for the real collectors, regardless of them already having the albums. But to those who are less than diehards, I'd think these would only largely appeal to those for 'novelty value'. Then, there are those who have little or nothing by them.

Personally, I currently have a couple of the stereo 2012s and a handful of the mono 2014, along with various early and otherwise LPs, original CDs and 2009s etc etc. But I don't have the first two they are showing in this series - Pepper and AR in stereo on black plastic so might grab them as my record boxes are noticeably lacking in that way. We shall see. :D

The price includes P&P and I think they are only available in the UK/Europe - or maybe only the former? Hopefully they will add a bit more to the site soon, because I'd like to know why the second delivery is more expensive for one thing! One thing that surprises me is that I've seen no mention of them being sold in newsagents, as they always seem to at least a way in and then it becomes subscription-only.

So, I am curious and have to ask.. any thoughts from the good people here?

2. AMD1512

AMD1512 Member

I've subscribed and have the first two issues. Seemed a handy way of getting a full set of Beatles on vinyl. They are stereo and apart from De Agostini being mentioned in the very small print, as you say (which I hadn't noticed), seem to be the same as the 2012 issues. The magazines are hardly worth bothering with to be honest, although I am looking forward to the two storage boxes and having Anthology, Love, red/blue and the BBC albums as part of the set.

3. AMD1512

AMD1512 Member

The full schedule, for anyone interested (two issues every four weeks)

Sgt Pepper
    Abbey Road
    Help!
    The Beatles
    Rubber Soul
    MMT
    Yellow Submarine
    Beatles for Sale
    Love
    A Hard Day's Night
    Red
    With the Beatles
    Anthology 1
    Revolver
    Anthology 2
    BBC Vol 1
    Please Please Me
    BBC Vol 2
    Let it Be
    Anthology 3
    Blue
    Past Masters

Boxy, enro99, Carl80 and 5 others like this.
  4. OneStepBeyond

Thanks for the posts, AMD. Interesting to see that the Anthology and first volume of the BBC sets are included - plus Love as well. I suppose with 1 being a comparatively recent reissue, that has found its way in here, instead of Yellow Submarine Songtrack. :)

AMD1512 likes this.
  5. AMD1512

AMD1512 Member

Oh, and the second delivery is more expensive because the White Album is a double. Doubles and triples cost more.

OneStepBeyond likes this.
  6. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

So, let's see if I understand this correctly:
    Given the very slight difference on the Beatles vinyl LP jackets (the publishing company name and date are printed on the back),
    and a magazine is also mailed with each release,
    and a Beatles t-shirt is also mailed
    (What else?)

In the long run,
    What is the cost of the entire bundle...?

7. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

8. lightbulb

OMG !!!

Well, being optimistic, they have almost two years to learn the plural of "Vinyl" is "Vinyl".

9. AMD1512

AMD1512 Member

They're wrong anyway. If they're going to use "vinyl" to mean a record or disc, there are three "vinyls" with the second delivery - Help! (1) and The Beatles (2)

Mr. Explorer and Gaslight like this.
  10. AMD1512

AMD1512 Member

Somewhere in the region of £479 over the course of a year. Although you can pay a bit extra every month to get two storage boxes.

lightbulb likes this.
  11. OneStepBeyond

I noticed that and see and hear it so often that I usually just let it go - unless someone points it out. I try to avoid (where possible) the use of the word 'vinyl' anyway - it's always been LPs, singles and so on to me. :laugh: And if this was a French company, they could be forgiven... I've seen a book in that language that pictured album sleeves called Vinyls. But De Agostini are UK based!

Christopher B and Mr. H like this.
  12. AMD1512

AMD1512 Member

I say "I have it on vinyl" but otherwise it's records or LPs. I must be honest; this nearly put me off De Agostini, but then I had a word with myself. I work in editing and if I got annoyed every time someone used the wrong words/poor grammar I'd have had about 20 stress-related breakdowns in the past 16 years!

Rickchick, Paul H and Mr. Explorer like this.
  13. OneStepBeyond

I can't say that I've never said it - for example to people who work in somewhere like HMV who are about 20 years younger than me, I'd not expect them to say vinyl... but I'd have to say "vinyl LP." I used to work for a newspaper (even though this was 25 years ago, old habits die hard) and have to hold my tongue when I see simple mistakes. Exactly like the ones I make, from time to time (!) Of course, language changes and meanings change but it would be terrible to see people following like sheeps. ;) I've been told off for over-punctuating sentences when I've though I've been correct - especially too many commas. We can't win sometimes. :D

Mr. Explorer, lightbulb and AMD1512 like this.
  14. horslips

horslips I'd rather be out on my bike!

Commas travel in pairs or turn the corner - parenthetical or pause!

ronbow likes this.
  15. OneStepBeyond

:D I got told off by more than once for asking too many questions about punctuation. Another thing was when she turned to me in the middle of a class once (using a a forced smile) and said "You always have to make exceptions for everything, don't you?" I replied that it is because that often is the way things go, to no reply. How could I leave it at that, when others were looking on? Being an English teacher, I just assumed she'd already have been aware of that 'rule'. :laugh:

She recommended that people have a read of the entertaining book on grammar called Eats, Shoots And Leaves; I did sometime later and that was a good thing because if I'd have done so while attending the course, I'd have likely REALLY got on her nerves. I said to her that commas can indeed be used to show the reader or speaker to pause - she said "...not necessarily." I did pass, believe it or not.

I've seen and contributed to at least one thread on this and/or a similar subject - any more and we'll have to ask for the thread to be re-titled. ;)

16. AMD1512

AMD1512 Member

Indeed. We were supposed to be talking about Beatles vinyls :winkgrin:

GreenFuz and OneStepBeyond like this.
  17. lightbulb

Hmmm, because this is a very expensive method to collect Beatles "vinyls", it seems to fall in the category:
    "What Gift Do You Give To That Beatles Fan That Has Everything?"

Billy Budapest likes this.
  18. AMD1512

AMD1512 Member

I'm not sure it's very expensive. The records are being charged at the same price I'm seeing them on Amazon.

19. culabula

culabula Unread author.

The FAQ refers to a resin stand delivered at the end of a premium subscription. Can anyone enlighten me....?

20. horslips

horslips I'd rather be out on my bike!

That is because most of these part works have websites that follow the same template. Clearly not changed from the apache helicopter model site. There was a similar slip on the Jazz website.

On a side note just back from a trip to Belfast today and enjoyed a trip to Head in Castle Court immensely. I miss trips to music stores in Dublin. Though we do still have Tower and Freebird which are still always worth a visit.

21. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Ta. Suspected as much.

Head is great. Hear that they got shedloads of 2nd-hand vinyl in yesterday but the juicy stuff was gone within 90 minutes.

Tower in Dublin is great and can, depending on the item in question, be surprisingly cheap.

George Murray still doing the biz in Merchants Arch.

22. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Given that the pressings and sound quality of the their Jazz Collection are exemplary, does anyone know if especial care has been taken of these Beatles' releases or are they the same as those found in the shops ?

23. OneStepBeyond

I'd have thought that there would be a pretty big fanfare and this forum would be alight if the discs themselves were different to the 2012s. :) But saying that, it would be interesting to learn what is written on the matrix of one... @AMD1512, could you help with this? No listing for them on Discogs, as I post this.

24. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Same here. Went to discogs this a.m. But nothing there as yet as you observe.

Odd that YSS isn't included and everything else is.

Who is this aimed at ? Surely casual fans would be disgruntled at the sheer amount of duplicate tracks there has to be with the original LPs, 1, the Blue and the Red etc ?

Mr. Explorer and OneStepBeyond like this.
  25. culabula

culabula Unread author.

...besides, I'm in the market for a new turntable mat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.