"Dig It" (on Let it Be)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave Gilmour's Cat, Oct 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

A little nod to the real 5th Beatle - Doris :righton:

2. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

All of us who are clamoring for Dig It's removal from the Let it Be album would be the same ones who would be demanding its uncut version be included on the next release of the lp.

3. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

Back when Let It Be album came out in 1970 there were no Beatles outtakes available, no sound bytes of The Beatles just fooling around informally and having fun. Dig It and Maggie Mae weren't good songs but we were happy to hear them on a record. Of course now almost 50 years later they seem unnecessary.
    Besides right on the back of the album cover they say Let It Be is a "new phase Beatles album". Its supposed to be like a documentary of the band in the studio during the making of a record.

Buddybud and Dave Gilmour's Cat like this.
  4. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

Mal likes this.
  5. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

6. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

I never realized all the Doris Day connections: there's the "Doris gets her oats" in the LP opening, then the "Doris Day" shout out in Dig It. Then Paul and Ringo record Que Sera Sera with Mary Hopkin. Then Paul releases Another Day. Wow!

Mal likes this.
  7. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

I like Dig It, can't imagine the album without it leading into Let It Be.

8. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Well said.

I'd also say Let It Be is a post-mortem look at a band slowly decaying, but still capable of great moments when they wanted to be. I enjoy it for what it is.

9. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

I like to pretend that everything they did was inspired by Doris - "When I'm 64":

Culpa likes this.
  10. gkmacca

gkmacca Forum Resident

And then there's this:

Doris Day and Paul McCartney in conversation »

john hp, Culpa and Mal like this.
  11. muffmasterh

muffmasterh Forum Resident

except that Spector adding strings to any of the tracks completely circumvents the original project. At least he was able to " dig " out the best takes though and i think his short version of Dig it used as lead in to LIB works very well indeed.

milankey likes this.
  12. slane

slane Forum Resident

To be fair to Spector, the band and George Martin had already overdubbed horns and cellos and angelic backing vocals (as well as other things) onto the song 'Let It Be' prior to Spector becoming involved. It could be that Spector just took his cue from there when going through the tapes.

Gems-A-Bems, S. P. Honeybunch and DTK like this.
  13. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

About once a year I listen through a CDR I compiled called "Digging It" that starts with Enoch Powell / Commonwealth / Get Off and then includes all of every version they did of Can You Dig It and Dig It. Also includes a couple more stream of consciousness word association jams from those sessions to fill out the 80 minute disk.

Don't know that I have ever found anyone else interested enough to listen to the whole thing with me, but I "Dig It!"

Can you?

14. muffmasterh

I personally doubt it, d, it's all speculation of course, GM seemed to stay well clear of anything to do with the Get Back album after John told he his did not want any of his production **** on it. I'm not sure of the timeline but GM may have done this with a view to its future single release after the Get Back album was finally abandoned.

15. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

Though the decision to exclude it on LIB surely predated the decision to include it on Hey Jude.

16. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Why do you say that?

17. slane

slane Forum Resident

The overdubs on 'Let It Be' were done the day after 'I Me Mine' had been recorded ( the sessions on 3 & 4 January, 1970). The 'final' 'Get Back' album was compiled on the 5th Jan.

My point is that when going through the tapes, Spector would have found orchestral overdubs on this song, so may then have thought it was ok to do the same on other songs.

In an interview, Spector mistakenly thought that George Martin had left the album 'half-finished', which makes it sound like he received scant information or instructions about the original intent.

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  18. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

Why would they release the B-side of a single that could easily be on LIB? And why wasn't Across the Universe included on Hey Jude?

19. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I was thinking you had some reason to believe the track list for Let It Be was established before that for Hey Jude.

I am not clear how these questions you are raising are relevant or conclusive to the point you raised.

Across the Universe of course had an orchestra over dubbed by Spector expressly for inclusion on the soundtrack album he was producing, so that was in the works for a while.

20. Mike Visco

Mike Visco Forum Resident

I never thought of that (Spector hearing the overdubs). Hey man-all bets are off, bring me a string section and a choir!!! I'm not being sarcastic -it is a good point.

They must have had some idea of the final film edit, but I thought I read a rehearsal of All Things Must Pass was in MLH's original cut. Imagine a Jan. 3 recording of it-oh well.

It could have been worse...Spector could have scored Dig it....would have then resembled perhaps a Zappa piece...:D

slane likes this.
  21. Mike Visco

Mike Visco Forum Resident

I've also posted in another thread somewhere...what if the Beatles used a Mellotron in these sessions?

22. muffmasterh

it is possible i guess although personally i still doubt it, but hey you never know.

23. muffmasterh

Well the A side, or a version of it was on LIB so why not the B side? The reason most likely has to be Hey Jude but my point was they could have used a different version. As for Universe that also had already been released ( or a treatment of it ) on the My World WWF Charity album at the end of 69, Spector was working on a different version for Let it Be so if they were going to include it on Hey Jude it would have had to have been the charity version which could have then hit charity sales of that My World album released just a few months earlier, even though HJ was primarily a concept for the US market potentially hurting the sales of a charity disc may have been a bit problematic even for Klein....

24. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

[QUOTE="Rfreeman, post: 15170833, member: 22859]... Across the Universe of course had an orchestra over dubbed by Spector expressly for inclusion on the soundtrack album he was producing, so that was in the works for a while.[/QUOTE]
    Question about Across the Universe:

Who had the idea to even include this song in the Let It Be album? The song was originally recorded in February 1968. John was unhappy with the result, but he still decided to give it to the World Wildlife benefit album---which after many delays came out in late 1969. Now, I know that John briefly tried it out at Twickenham (I don't think that the band tracked it during the sessions at Apple Studio). But was the decision SOLELY because Michael Lindsay-Hogg included that brief snippet of film with the song, or did John suddenly decide that he wanted that song included on the album? I mean, there were a bunch of songs, like Suzy Parker and Maxwell Silver's Hammer, included in the film that were NOT on the LP---so who said "let's include Across The Universe on the LP"?

25. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

Across The Universe was in Glyn John's last version of Get Back, already remixed some. Don't Let Me Down was still there (different version from 45, not rooftop), Teddy Boy gone. Jan. 1970 version.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.