"Dig It" (on Let it Be)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave Gilmour's Cat, Oct 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. muffmasterh

muffmasterh Forum Resident

personally i'd keep one side the roof top and i like Dig it before LIB but that aside it still would make a better album that presently sequenced imho

2. muffmasterh

again my thoughts too Arnie, it all got lost in the mess that was the period after Lennon quit , by that time they had bigger problems and were probably lucky to even get i me mine in the can. Personally i prefer the naked version of winding road, it has its problems but it is better than the spector take sans orchestration imho.

3. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Heather Ono!

4. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

:kilroy: Essentially "Louie Louie" in ¾ time. What on earth is going on at 7:54?

5. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

There seems to be some confusion even amongst the experts as to which versions of "The Long & Winding Road" were used by Spector and Johns. From my reading of Doug and Ray's book (or at least the edition that I have), it looks like the 26th of January version was NOT used by Spector/Johns. Their versions emanated from the 31st of January (although differing takes were used from that day). Lewisohn may also have gotten the dates wrong in his liner notes to Anthology 3. I'm now a bit confused about it too.

Maybe someone can lay out the exact versions of "The Long and Winding Road" that were used on:
    Glyn Johns' Get Back LP
    Phil Spector's Let It Be LP
    The film version
    The Anthology 3 version
    The Let It Be Naked version

seacliffe301 likes this.
  6. slane

slane Forum Resident

Glyn Johns' Get Back LP - 26th
    Phil Spector's Let It Be LP - 26th + orchestral overdubs
    The film version - 31st
    The Anthology 3 version - 26th
    The Let It Be Naked version - 31st

Billy plays electric piano on the 26th (with tremelo), but a different sound (organ?) on the 31st.

Onder and Arnold Grove like this.
  7. Arnold Grove

THANKS!! You are more up-to-date than the books that I have!!

slane likes this.
  8. Arnold Grove

Do you know if the film version and the Let It Be Naked version are the SAME take?

9. slane

slane Forum Resident

Because there's not much actually wrong with it (takes of 'Let It Be' were worse, and Paul overdubbed the master take of that). In fact, I like hearing the bass better on the A3 version. The 'awful' bass playing is largely an invention of Ian MacDonald...

C6H12O6, Onder and Drifter like this.
  10. slane

slane Forum Resident

Yes (though I'm not 100% sure if anything was 'patched' on LIBN).

11. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

Heather and Paul making a mess of a decent jam? :p

DTK likes this.
  12. muffmasterh

i always understood this to be the case Arnie, if they are not then i have been acting under a misapprehension these past few years.

Arnold Grove likes this.
  13. muffmasterh

yes i must admit when i first heard it i never had a big problem with it, in some ways it gave a bit of edge to a track some may find too mawkish.

14. Selteab

Selteab Free-hand sketcher and dancer of the hokey-pokey.

Given that the song gets a fair airing in the film, it probably necessitated having it on the LP too. I enjoy the film of the song, with John playing the Fender VI bass.

muffmasterh likes this.
  15. grandegi

grandegi Blind test maniac

I re-listened to the three versions. To my ears, the bass playing is actually awful. I can hear at least 5 or 6 missed notes on the Get Back version and the Naked version, at the same points (if the bass tracks are different ones this is really strange). Even on the Let It Be version (albeit buried under the orchestration) I can hear the same issues, mainly because I know they are there. I confirm my initial puzzlement about this: why wasn't the bass track re-recorded?

Edit: "awful" is not the correct word, but those notes do not sound "right" to me in any case.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
  16. slane

slane Forum Resident

GB uses the take from the 26th, LIBN uses the one from the 31st, so I'm confused about your conclusions.

The bass playing on both sounds fine to me (no, he's not a virtuoso), though I prefer the take from the 26th overall.

17. grandegi

grandegi Blind test maniac

Can you actually detect differences in the bass tracks? To me they sound at least very similar. On the Naked version I hear wrong notes @00:28, @01:12-01:13, @2:09-2:10, @3:06-3:07. On the Get Back version I hear the same issues. As I wrote in my previous post "awful" is not the correct word, but those notes don't seem "right" to me anyway.

18. vince

Back in DC, I knew a kid named Matt Busby!
    He was a year younger than me, and didn't know why, when I said his name, I would shout "DIG IT!" at him!

EddieMann and grandegi like this.
  19. vince

I figure, in this 'new age', we can get the "Heather wails' mixed OUT of the song!....... maybe.....
    or...'auto-tuned', for comedy's sake!

applejam101 likes this.
  20. slane

slane Forum Resident

They SHOULD be completely different takes, including the bass part. John was not a natural bass player, but he does ok on this song, IMO.

There COULD be some 'fixing' on the LIBN version (there is on other tracks), but nothing that's ever stuck out to me.

The Anthology DVD and the 1+ DVD both use the LIBN take (31st) in different mixes, so you could compare those with LIBN.

21. slane

slane Forum Resident

^^^

A list of the available mixes of TL&WR:

26th January version -
    Get Back albums (bootleg)
    Let It Be (with overdubs)
    Anthology 3
    1 CD remix (with overdubs)

31st January version -
    Let It Be film (mono)
    Anthology DVD (stereo remix of above)
    Let It Be Naked
    1 DVD remix

Both are also on the Nagra tapes of the January 1969 sessions.

andrewskyDE, dcshark and grandegi like this.
  22. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks. That's helpful. I've been listening to Let It Be again today and remembering how much I love this album.

slane likes this.
  23. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Don't Let Me Down I agree with. Although it already was released, adding those 4 particular minutes to what's a short album anyway is far from a punishment.

Dig It, I think, is what it should be. A little snippet to add some fun to what obviously sounds like a sad, painful affair. There really isn't more to it, imo.

24. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I agree. I liked it before I heard of all the Phil Spector fiasco, and still like it to this day. Better than naked.....

25. gkmacca

gkmacca Forum Resident

Most just think of that name check as merely referring to Busby as manager of a team of the time, but it's probably at least as relevant that John grew up when people still talked fondly of Matt Busby as a recent captain of Liverpool Football Club.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.