Sting: The Studio Collection – solo career-spanning vinyl box (09/30/2016)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

Anyone else?

2. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Is Ten Summoners Tales any good? Does it have good fidelity? This is the one im most interested in and how it compares to previous issues...

3. canonlon

canonlon Forum Resident

I'm interested in SQ of Ten Summoner's Tales and Mercury Falling. I'm always concerned about the sound quality of longer album lengths which are put on one LP record.

Anne Elk (Miss) likes this.
  4. canonlon

canonlon Forum Resident

Anyone know who mastered these albums for this LP issue?

5. NotHemingway.com

NotHemingway.com Well-Known Member

I picked up copies of Brand New Day and Sacred Love in the Czech Republic. The packaging is nice but the sound on these two is fairly sibilant - especially on the 3rd track on the 1st side of BND where there are 3 tracks. The same thing happened to me on Paul Simon's new one. All of side A was a hiss-fest. I returned it and my new copy sounds stellar. I also had some no-fill on PF's Meddle but exchanged that and now absolutely love that pressing. So my setup is working fine but the QC on some of these recent releases leave something to be desired. (That said, I got the Wall and am ready to sell my 2011 copy. The new one sounds great.)

But I digress. Anybody else have the sibilance issues on these two new Sting releases? I hate to go back for another exchange but I also hate to be stuck with bum copies if I don't have to be!

6. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Yes and it was outstanding - there is a thread with many member and some press reviews.

Has anyone spun Mercury Falling yet?

audiotom likes this.
  7. Anne Elk (Miss)

Anne Elk (Miss) Well-Known Member

Yes and it's good. In fact, I had no problem with The Soul Cages, Ten Summoner's Tales or Mercury Falling. By 'no problem' I mean I didn't notice constricted dynamics. Again, someone with a better system and better ears might give a more objective assessment but my experience was that, for those three albums (maybe four including a second listen of ...Nothing Like The Sun except for 'We'll Be Together', as richbdd01 explained) I was drawn into the songs and music rather than trying to hear the production/pressing/mastering. I've never heard Mercury Falling before and I was surprised it was mainly country & western mixed with a kind of vanilla soul.

JeffMo and Szeppelin75 like this.
  8. NotHemingway.com

OK, just exchanged them. The guy from the store (a big Czech chain) made me stick around and watch him listen to them on the cheapest turntable I have probably every seen. Suffice to say, they sounded even worse. But it was a battle. Didn't help that he started playing them at 45rpm, either. I guess I have successfully become a vinyl snob.

9. NotHemingway.com

Hooray. Second set is much better. I will say these pressings are awfully bright but maybe that's the all digital at work. "Big Lie, Small World" is still sort of a hissy mess but the rest sounds much better.

Anybody compared original press of Mercury Falling to the new one? I have the US version of the original and recall it sounds pretty good but haven't listened to it in a while. Same with the Soul Cages.

Szeppelin75 likes this.
  10. Szeppelin75

I have original US Blue Turtles and Nothing Like The Sun, both sound amazing and i have UK originals of Cages and Mercury Falling, again sound great. I have the Back to Black version of Ten Summone's Tales, and it is great to these ears. let me see when i get to hear the reissues of Sacred Heart and Brand new day

11. Szeppelin75

Sacred Love i meant

12. wbhendrix

wbhendrix Forum Resident

I just now opened my box set i'm listening to Nothing Like The Sun. I dodnt have the original LP to compare but this copy sounds great on my system! Cant wait to hear the rest of the box set, i'll post again with my thoughts on the other records after listening.

Dbstay, OldSkoolFool and JeffMo like this.
  13. Shpongle

Shpongle Forum Resident

Anyone had the opportunity to compare these new vinyl reissues with the remastered CDs from a few years ago?

I have several of the CDs and they sound fabulous to my ears.

14. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal

I got the box today, will post some clips

15. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal

16. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

I like my original pressing of The Soul Cages more than the new one, more dynamic, especially in the acoustic guitar parts the difference is quite clear (Mad about you, Saint Agnes).

geddyfleaharris and Szeppelin75 like this.
  17. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I am sticking to my pristine originals. May buy Brand New Day and Sacred Heart as this is first vinyl version. Do SACDs sound better? - I will see but I think this is dependent on TT. My experience of the Pioneer plx1000 over a few days suggests it helps digital recordings, maybe due to the pitch stability. Whereas expensive belt drives more strongly favour AAA.

18. Johan1880

Johan1880 Forum Resident

Didn't hear any difference between my original UK pressings of Ten Summoners Tales + Mercury Falling and the reissues, they all sound quite good.

RubenH likes this.
  19. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal

My thread driven TT with the phoenix has amazing pitch stability

20. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

It is Sacred Love, but you are about the 3rd or 4th person in this thread to call it that instead. :)

21. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal

Listening to Ten Summoners now, will compare to my UK later but one thing, these are well pressed, dead quiet vinyl. I have had no sibilant issues at all and to my ears these are not loud and bright at all

22. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member Thread Starter

I'm happy to see there is a download code included in the box. I'm assuming it's MP3 format, but I didn't get a chance to download it yet.

So far I only listened to "Sacred Love", which I always liked.

JeffMo likes this.
  23. Anne Elk (Miss)

Anne Elk (Miss) Well-Known Member

I finally got around to listening to the second half of the collection and I really enjoyed it. There's a slight issue with Brand New Day (the second disc is pressed ever-so slightly off-centre; the tone arm barely fluctuates visibly but I can hear it; if I reseat the vinyl just a fraction, the problem disappears but, still, in a £100 box set it's annoying) but otherwise the vinyl is quiet and the masters are crisp and well-balanced. Most of all, though, this collection has reinvigorated my interest in his solo career, which waned a little after The Soul Cages, maybe Ten Summoner's Tales. Ultimately, for me, however he expresses his political views and however successful his experimental forays into 17th century songs were, his music is basically uplifting and I really felt that with this collection. I don't think it's especially related to it being on vinyl (though that helps for me); I think it's due more to it being an eight-album cycle to work through over a relaxed period of time and, by the end of it, I'm looking forward to starting it again.

Can't wait to add his new album to the cycle. I might even throw in the lute stuff next time. I know I have it on CD somewhere...

24. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

You are a bigger fan than I am Anne, if willing to mix lute material in!

I had a similar experience when I picked up the career spanning box 25 Years - obviously that was curated to include most of his singles but it also had a fair number of deep tracks, live versions, and some new 2011 mixes. Sting has had an interesting solo career.

Full disclosure, my box did include a lute song and a few symphonic ones as well. :D

Anne Elk (Miss) likes this.
  25. audiotom

audiotom I can not hear a single sound as you scream

I hate this place

just when the bank account recovers from Stones Mono, Living Stereo box etc
    You find another new release here

Only had DttBT and NLTS on vinyl so this seemed a logical purchase

Nice packaging. Would have liked some extras

Sacred Love sounded closed in