Some of the 1960s teenybopper stuff is actually really good!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joshua277456, Nov 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CliffL

CliffL Forum Resident

Thanks for turning me on to this song!

ajsmith likes this.
  2. Donfrance

Donfrance As honest as a politician.

The hair? Please do tell?

3. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Well( some ) sixties teeny bop singles are classics, no disputing that, he says chewing bubblegum. ;)

melstapler likes this.
  4. John54

John54 Senior Member

Hmmm. I hate Hanky Panky and Dizzy, my two least favourite big hits of the '60s, and I've heard Sugar Sugar far too many times. I always liked Yummy Yummy Yummy although it's terminally silly, and I like Snoopy, which is also silly but not as much, and fairly clever at the same time. I really like 1 2 3 Red Light but I call it the "worst" song for which that's true. It's total ear candy though!

5. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

Great to see so many great artists mentioned in this thread.

Leslie Gore: I like her music and remember the song "California Nights" from her appearance on the 1960s Batman TV series. Other great lesser-known songs are: What Am I Gonna Do About You, That's The Way Boys Are, The Old Crowd, and Sunshine, Lollipops & Rainbows (written by Marvin Hamlisch and appeared in the movie Ski Party).

Gary Lewis & The Playboys (GL&TP): A favorite of my mine since I heard them in the 1970s (remembered the song "This Diamond Ring" being played in the movie The Family Jewels starring Jerry Lewis). But my favorite GL&TP song is "My Heart's Symphony", a hard-driving song that is unusual in that it doesn't have a chorus. Other great songs are: Everybody Loves A Clown, Without A Word Of Warning, Sure Gonna Miss Her, and Little Miss Go Go (which sounds a bit like it was backed by the same group that were on Jan & Dean songs).

Skeeter Davis: For a long time I only knew her for the song "The End Of The World" (one of my favorite songs). Then I happened to hear the song "I Can't Stay Mad At You" and really liked it, causing me to seek out a greatest hits album (The Essential Skeeter Davis) and found more great songs, including: Gonna Get Along Without You Now, What Does It Take (To Keep A Man Like You Satisfied), Silver Threads And Golden Needles, and Let Me Get Close To You.

Another great song that I found thanks to YouTube is "Without Your Love" by Wendy Hill:

6. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Pretty good. Anyone know the guitarist?

7. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

8. shutdown66

shutdown66 Forum Resident

Apologies for my mistake.
    The producer of the song and the album ''My town, my guy and me'' was Quincy Jones.
    The arrangement was done from Jack Nitzsche.
    The single was recorded during the period of Nitzsche collaboration with Phil Spector for Righteous Brothers and Ronettes in 1965. Sessions leading the orchestra for Lesley Gore.

BeSteVenn likes this.
  9. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Hopefully Xylitol gum! :D

alexpop likes this.
  10. alexpop

Happiness is a warm gum. :)

11. John54

John54 Senior Member

I like it! Definitely above average for 1961 ...

12. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

I dig what people have been saying about the musicianship of these records, generally either L.A. or New York session cats. They certainly rank alongside the "artsy" stuff that emerged in the post-Sgt. Pepper era, when compared with the pre-programmed, by-the-numbers, computerized stuff you hear today.

Wonder how many Philly musicians who played on the 'bopper records of Frankie, Fabian, Rydell, et al., were later part of the Gamble-Huff / Thom Bell "Sound of Philadelphia" a.k.a. 'MFSB'.

13. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I wrote the following as part of a post:

To which John54 wrote:

Related to Gary Lewis & The Playboys, Wendy Hill also recorded "(Gary Please Don't Sell) My Diamond Ring", an answer song to "This Diamond Ring" by Gary Lewis & The Playboys. That was the song that led me to discover "Without Your Love."

14. skydropco

skydropco Rock 'n Roll Nurse

All this love for Lesley Gore warms my heart. I have the Bear Family box and it's a treasure..since I'm here I'll throw some JD into the mix.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  15. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

Never gotten into it. I love early The Beatles but they were the greatest rock & roll band on earth disguised as teeny boppers by Brian Epstein.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  16. white wolf

white wolf Forum Resident

One of my favorite oldies by Chubby Checker - Dancin Party

17. Joy-of-radio

Joy-of-radio Forum Resident

Those of us in my age group have witnessed an amazing evolution in popular music, and in my opinion much of it is not for the better. I'm fond of lighthearted pop of the 60s and 70s including bubblegum and sunshine pop. It's often superbly exccuted and produced material with first-rate instrumentation. Some artists and performers I enjoy include Tommy Roe, Bobby Sherman, Partridge Family, Jackson 5, Wombles, Archies, Cuff Links, Tommy James, Pipkins, and countless others. Music has certainly become far more dark and cynical in the past several decades, and I think it has had a profound and negative influence on the state of mind of many people. I have enough seriousness in my life without downhearted and depressing music. With that, I shall go and spin a compact disc by Miss Abrams and The Strawberry Point 4th Grade Class... Thank you! :)

18. DEAN OF ROCK

DEAN OF ROCK Senior Member

Hooray For Hazel - Tommy Roe
    Little Things - Bobby Goldsboro
    Run, Run, Run - The Newbeats
    Indian Giver - 1910 Fruitgum Co.

19. munjeet

munjeet Forum Resident

A carefully curated 'best-of' for Tommy James & The Shondells would hold up very very well in comparison with an equally carefully curated 'best of' for The Doors. Jus' sayin. IMHO, of course.

trumpet sounds and thematinggame like this.
  20. alexpop

Beatles : White Album
    A interview with Paul McCartney with Tony Macarthur for Australian radio Nov 1968 ( YouTube June 2017) McCartney mentions he co wrote the song lyrics as well John came up with the chorus( even though John sings it). Always thought JL wrote this himself ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.