Humans - New Show on AMC

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by rockclassics, Jun 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

Bobby Buckshot likes this.
  2. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Darn, preview not available in the US.

3. townsend

townsend Senior Member

Agreed. Deesky is one of the newer generations of synths, and quite capable of wielding the pen to produce eloquent and accurate prose.:)

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  4. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Shhhhh! Don't tell anybody, but I'm not a 'synth', I'm a Westworld 'host' escapee! :)

townsend likes this.
  5. Pastafarian

OK just watched episode one, is it going to be good, well maybe, they covered a lot of the issues around conscious machines in series one, so what's left. Possibly the Robot Wars and :shrug:. Well one new thing which was eluded to seemed to be B.F. Skinner which leads us to metadata analysis and Welchman, then the Turing test, Turing's Pattern formation and mathematical biology and then in my case psychosis:crazy:. :help:

It should be good, I hope stay tuned, for my next explanation:unhunh:

6. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

It returns tonight for those who are interested.

Bobby Buckshot and beccabear67 like this.
  7. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member Thread Starter

:righton:I'll be watching.

8. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

Me three.

9. Joey The Lemur

Joey The Lemur Forum Resident

I really enjoyed the first season, but as it aired so long ago, I might need to rewatch it before checking out the new season.

10. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

It's certainly worth a rewatch, but the most important takeaway from S1 is the existence of a disk containing consciousness code/programming which can be downloaded into other synths.

S2 is quite different from S1. I'm not sure that it's better, as there are some misfiring elements, but it's still a very good show.

Encuentro likes this.
  11. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Well, this show's taken quite a turn. From the preview at the end of tonight's show, looks like it's going to keep taking that turn.

12. beccabear67

Really ace first season episode. I didn't even once think of that talking toaster from Red Dwarf.

13. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I toast, therefore I am. :)

beccabear67 likes this.
  14. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

This second season is going to be good. Those involved with this show are handling Phil Dickian concepts better than most of those who handled real Dickian material for TV and movies. Glad it's back on broadcast.

beccabear67 likes this.
  15. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

It's great to see Carrie-Anne Moss working.

agentalbert likes this.
  16. Geithals

Geithals Forum Resident

I avidly watched the original Swedish drama which was light hearted, black humored and a parody of sorts on Swedish society. I've started watching series 1 of England's CH4 version, which is a much more serious affair but still very good.
    One difference I noted between the two versions, is that when the Swedish family took their synth home, it was flat packed, it had to be unpacked, the manual was carefully read, probably a supplied Allen key was used at some stage (aka the hex) and the synth was assembled, charged and booted.

But the English retail outlet sold a fully assembled, charged and ready to go synth to the English family, the synth even drove them home.

beccabear67 likes this.
  17. beccabear67

They aired the original Swedish version subtitled on a Canadian channel before the remade English one was on. It stopped watching partway somehow though, maybe I heard of the new series, and I'm sure there were Scandinavian cultural touches about it lost on me.

I wonder if the creator have seen an old Jack Kirby comic series titled Omac which had these 'build a friends' one of which was the title characters lost love.

In my earlier post I meant the the first episode of season 2, I worded that badly.

alexpop likes this.
  18. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

The English version (Humans) is more realistic given the highly sophisticated piece of tech synths are. That the user would have to assemble them is ridiculous, but that is probably the reason it was done that way in the Swedish series if it was meant to be a more humorous take on the story (I haven't watched the Swedish one). It's like in the episode of Red Dwarf when Lister is trying to assemble from packaging, a Marilyn Monroe bot and hilarity ensues!

19. Pastafarian

Finished watching series 2 a long time ago and meh..... Did it add much to series 1(?), not really some interesting metaphysical questions, that didn't warrant a second series, you could feel the pips being squeezed.

Worth watching but series 1 could have incorporated it all.

20. Geithals

Geithals Forum Resident

You haven't viewed the original Swedish series yet you have a definitive opinion,
    and you talk about the importance of realism :)
    The original story is from Sweden, the english Ch4 tv drama is an adaption of the Swedish tv drama
    You haven't seen the Swedish drama yet you have an opinion that such a scene was ridiculous. In the part of my message which you did not quote and possibly did not value, I explained differences between the two dramas
    "the original Swedish drama which was light hearted, black humored and a parody of sorts on Swedish society. I've started watching series 1 of England's CH4 version, which is a much more serious affair but still very good."

In Europe buying flat packed furniture and taking it home to be re-assembled with a hex key, while reading multi diagrammed 1-6 steps instruction sheet, all started in Sweden with IKEA. The whole IKEA concept is so blue and yellow Swedish.
    So when our Swedish suburban male purchased his android, his hubot in a box, and wheeled it out in a trolly to his station wagon, that scene resonated with hilarity. Obviously the hubot wasn't flat packed, but at home it had to be unboxed, unpacked, charged up and set up while the new owner read from the instructions.
    The British adaptation is serious and dark with a brooding malice present. The Swedish one by contrast has many moments of hilarity, it's also a part parody on the 'Stepford reality' of Sweden, with the the way the hubots are advertised, sold in supermarkets , their bright garish clothes, hubots dancing to Abba tunes,
    Then the Swedish story has a strong political theme which echoes strong with Sweden re the emergence and growing popularity of hate groups there. In the Swedish drama, the hate groups, the anti immigrants, the racists call themselves the "Real Humans" .
    Hubots in the Swedish drama are a "hubot rights" issue, there are also other themes eg sexual exploitation of hubots in the workplace

21. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

When you talked about Swedish parody and assembling the robot, I immediately thought of Ikea and yes, that's funny even to someone with only a little familiarity with Swedish culture.

Geithals likes this.
  22. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Boy, have you completely misrepresented what I wrote or what? I've voiced no so called 'definitive' opinions about the Swedish series at all. Not only had I acknowledged that I hadn't seen the Swedish series, I also used the word probably when I spoke to the differences precisely because I didn't have definite knowledge about it and was only going from what your said in your post about the series being different - ie, more lighthearted/humorous. Don't jump to quick conclusions.

23. Geithals

Geithals Forum Resident

Then perhaps you forgot to insert the word probably in your first sentence, when you wrote,
    "The English version (Humans) is more realistic given the highly sophisticated piece of tech synths are."

I wrote much more than that.
    To quote me fully and accurately I wrote "the original Swedish drama which was light hearted, black humored and a parody of sorts on Swedish society."
    If you had read and understood that line properly, it might have helped you to understand the parody and the import of my post. But I suppose there are people who offhand don't associate IKEA type flat-pack household items with Swedish society.

24. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Nope. That aspect of my comment was addressing what would be the case in a real-world situation if synths of such capability were possible. They would be ready made products, pre-assembeled in the factory - no assembly required.

Yes, but I stopped reading after your initial terse comments.

That, along with meatballs, ABBA and Volvo are probably the most (internationally) identifiable Swedish exports, so obviously I am aware, which further goes to support the comical connection I originally posted about.

25. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member Thread Starter

I'm watching this seasons second episode. The storyline seems to be dragging a bit. I hope it picks up as the season continues.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.