Time Warner Cable Is Now Spectrum - still sucks

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Erik Tracy, Oct 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale Thread Starter

Well - TWC is now officially Spectrum.

And the service quality still sucks.

I have more than one quality problem per day, and the new commercials just aggravate me.

Anyone see the new commercial?

Lies about picture quality being crystal clear HD.

Here's a screen shot I took during the actual commercial claiming great clear HD for sports:
    [​IMG]

2. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

Google Fiber can't come soon enough.

3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Screw 'em. Go with DirecTV satellite.

4. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

They should've picked another name. I'm fairly certain that as soon as "Spectrum" was announced, the first thought of millions of long-suffering TWC customers was "Rectum".

MikaelaArsenault and gates69 like this.
  5. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

My current deal with TWC is about to run out, so I called them to try to get the same, if not better deal from them and they said (including talking with a manager, as well), that they couldn't even tell me what was going to happen with my price, until it completely runs out! I told her that I thought that "Spectrum" was supposed to actually care to help their customers, but I'm clearly turned off to their new "approach". Proving once again, that this piece of sh#$ run company, is STILL, a piece of sh#$!

I told my wife that if they raise our prices, we are finally cutting the cable with them, which is sad, since we've been loyal customers for the past 27 years! I'm sick of being loyal to them and begging for a deal, while meanwhile, our friends who cut ties with them are getting outstanding deals!

6. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

From what I've heard the roll-out has been a disaster in the handful of markets they've tried it in so far with lots of customer issues. Not surprised.

It's going to take them years to work out the issues and actually get it implemented in all of the Time Warner Cable markets.

MikaelaArsenault and Dude111 like this.
  7. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

Yeah, you just have to live where it never rains or snows. AT&T is trying to get their customers
    here off of wire because they are too cheap to spend any money on infrastructure. I guess I'll
    be looking for a new service provider soon.......

MikaelaArsenault and tomunbound like this.
  8. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

If they raise your prices? We both know they will. :( But so will every other provider.

MikaelaArsenault and Benno123 like this.
  9. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Well, that's the major problem. ATT u-verse and TWC are my areas only choices, without getting a damn dish, which I have zero interest in. Many, many, half million dollar houses, just a block from mine and this is the best ANY of us has got to choose from, which I find shameful!

10. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

The change has been seamless here, as far as I can tell. Maybe where Time Warner already existed, there aren't problems.

11. Erik Tracy

Well, the first weekend of my switchover from TWC to Spectrum the whole neighborhood lost stations on Sunday football game day.

And I constantly had problems w/ TWC both with the provided equipment and service from the street, dropped channels that I would then have to argue with customer support that I had before and so they shouldn't have stopped service.

Picture quality has always been my biggest issue with macroblocking (like in the picture I posted above).

{deep breath}....ah, I was getting carried away there....rant off.

12. charlie W

charlie W EMA Level 10

The changeover is complete here, too. A few weeks before the change, my television was experiencing the same macro-blocking only on certain channels like ESPN, CNBC, Cartoon Network and others. It was so severe that the channels dropped out completely. I got a service visit who discovered the local squirrels had chewed the wire off the utility pole to the house. Six servicemen and 4 hours later, they replaced the cable wire. Spectrum added some channel to the extended tier and dropped a few others but none were any favorites. Like the Who song sez, Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

13. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I didn't think anything changed but the name, but now that you mention it, I did notice the premium channels (HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, Starz) added more HD feeds. There were channels I only got in standad-def that there is now an HD feed for. So that is nice. I don't know what channels went away. If any, they aren't ones I look for.

14. cathandler

cathandler Senior Member

One thing that definitely happened with TWC-Spectrum was a lot of debt - debt that needs to be serviced just as more and more cable TV customers are cutting the cord. Not a good combination for consumers. Anyway, we call 'em "Speculum" around here... ;)

15. Erik Tracy

The suckiness just gets better.

Last night I go upstairs to relax to some tv before bed. Turn on the TV and nothing.

Big sigh of frustration, but I know the drill - unplug/plug the Cisco mini coax-HDMI adapter, let it rescan the channels and all is good.

Nope. Nothing. Try again.

Nope.

Call Wrecktum cable. The tech sends one of those phony 'refresh strings' to revive the box. Nope.

Then we get told that they stopped supporting the mini coax-HDMI boxes and we need a new cable adapter.

WTF?

No notice of that before.

Great - make an appointment to have a tech come out today to swap it out.

Oh - and by the way I told the tech I want a day's credit on my bill cuz I'm w/o service until the tech comes later today.

F me in the heart.

16. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Read the thread title, and couldn't figure out why The Weather Channel was going to call itself Spectrum.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  17. rjp

rjp Senior Member

unless you have a yard full of trees :(

18. Erik Tracy

I'm in Cable Provider Hell.

10:50am Sunday - phone, internet, and cable goes out.

No games, no SHF, and the call to our son at college got dropped.

Called Wrecktum customer support - area wide outage.

Just got back on (but not sure for how long).

F me in the heart....:realmad:

19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

At some point, you either move, get a very tall pole, or get out an axe. There's a compromise that will work. I know people who have put a satellite dish 200 yards away from their house on top of a telephone pole and got it to work. It was not cheap, but it got the job done.

20. Erik Tracy

Spectrum woes continue.

My wife was experiencing problems with her DVR and took it back to the newly changed over TWC to Spectrum store front.

Box worked fine for a couple of days, but then noticed that time recorded shows would show up blank when she tried to watch them the next day.

A call to the support line resulted in another 'we need to send a refresh data string' to the DVR.

And that wiped out ALL of her recorded shows. The tech response was 'oh - that is not supposed to happen'. DUH.

We set up an appointment for a tech to come out and check the box and the signal levels: a creepy guy in a 3rd party cable tech truck showed up - no more TWC vans and TWC cable techs in uniforms.

He checked the levels to the inhouse DVRs - all were now too 'high'. And he only offered to swap out the DVRs to a different one.

Meanwhile - I'm still experiencing random tv pixelation and audio dropouts on the downstairs DVR.

F me in the heart.

21. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Man, I would have a big problem with someone in a non-branded van / uniform coming to do repairs. That is really weird.

22. Erik Tracy

He had a standard truck with a magnetic sign stuck to the side for "Sunshine Communications" with wording about being a Spectrum contractor. And he had a shirt with the matching logo.

That's what threw me at first as to who he was - no shiny Spectrum van or Spectrum shirt/badge.

23. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I wouldn't let him in. I don't know who "Sunshine Cable Tech" is.

24. Erik Tracy

We did get a call from TWC (at least that is what showed up on our on screen call log display) saying the tech would show up at the appointed time - which he did.

And when he rang the bell I questioned him on what he was here for as the shirt/logo threw me off. He then showed me the appointment - so it was legit.

25. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Okay, I'm glad you questioned him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.