New show Chance (née House!)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deesky, Aug 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hugh Laurie's new Hulu series, Chance, is a psychological thriller with a menacing edge. It revolves around a San Francisco-based forensic neuropsychiatrist who winds up getting involved with the violent and dangerous world of mistaken identity, police corruption, and mental illness when he tries to help one of his patients. Based on the novel by Kem Nunn, the 10-episode series will premiere on Hulu October 19.

Hugh Laurie's Penchant For Portraying a Doctor Continues in the Trailer For Hulu's Chance »

I'm in!

2. woody

woody Forum Resident

Sounds interesting. They'll need more shows to keep me when they lose Criterion.

3. Deesky

Wow, what an amazing start! I wasn't really expecting House, but this couldn't be more different from that type of show. I loved everything about it. It's like a moody, noir thriller with amazing performances by all, and the underlying creepy musical score really gets your nerves jangling. Brilliant.

Scott222C likes this.
  4. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

So a bit like "Bosch" maybe ? That would be a very good thing !

5. Deesky

I have no idea as I don't watch Bosch...

6. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Is Gretchen Mol in this beyond the 1st episode? She's shown quite a bit in the commercials I see for this on TV, but IMDB only lists her in 1 episode.

7. CBC

CBC Forum Resident

Wow, what a find! Lots of twists & turns & menace - my cup of tea! We're in.

8. CBC

CBC Forum Resident

Yes, hers is a recurring major character

agentalbert likes this.
  9. Deesky

All the eps have been excellent, including the most recent one. The narrative just sucks you (and the main character) in, in a slowly snowballing journey of dread from which there are no exit ramps. Excellent new show. Whish I could binge watch.

enro99 likes this.
  10. Scott222C

After five episodes I have seen - THIS IS THE BEST SHOW OF 2016

Actors, Atmosphere, Plot everything is just so good.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

11. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Wish he'd done that Lew Archer movie that was threatened a few years back.

12. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

I started watching Rectify, on Netflix, but couldn't stand the characters, so I looked for something on Hulu during my free 30 day trial and found this. A million times better than Rectify. Laurie does the extended facial reactions (which is apparently the latest "thing" in Hollywood) very well, because they usually lead up to him saying or doing something intelligent (unlike in 11.22.63 or Bloodlines, where it made the leads just look like dopes). Laurie does these extended facial reactions well. He did it in House too, but there it made him seem out of character often, but I imagine he insisted, because it's apparently part of his schtick.

13. Deesky

Great season of television. I'm not sure if there will be another season, as it seems like a one story show (based on a book IIRC), but the way it ended, you could sort of see the door being left half open...

What the heck are 'extended facial reactions'??

14. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

I really didn't think it's that hard to understand. A particular facial expression, conveying an emotion, without dialog, which expression goes on for a bit longer than one would expect, usually, but not always, in reaction to something that just happened. Jumps out at me in this show so far -- I just began ep. 3. (And by the way, if you didn't see it in John in "Bloodline", then you weren't paying attention.)

15. Deesky

I was paying attention to the story. It would never have occurred to me to think that focusing on a person's face after a significant event or piece of dialog for emphasis was some kind of a 'thing'.

16. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident

Obviously the appropriateness is all a matter of degree and depends on the viewer's subjective reaction to the style of acting. Either you get my observation or you don't. I know of others who have made similar comments to mine, so this is not such a weird observation. And, by the way, different directors may like different approaches even within the same series. I notice Hugh Laurie isn't doing what I am talking about as much after ep. 2 -- different directors. I'm watching ep. 4 now and the acting is brilliant all around.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  17. starfieldroad

starfieldroad chew up your love then swallow

We felt like this dropped in quality as the season went on. The first three or so conveyed an overall sense of menace in a gripping way.

Good acting all around, high marks for Ethan Suplee.

We had the sense that the writers may have changed as it went along (unconfirmed).

Apparently this was greenlit for 2 seasons from the start.

18. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

We're on Episode 7 now, it's sorta a creepy little psychological thriller. Hugh Laurie does a good job as usual (I was surprised to see him adopt the American accent again). My wife and I did prefer The Night Manager for post-House Laurie projects, but Chance ain't bad- it almost has me ready to check out the book.

19. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

Great show - I love the line - "call in an airstrike"

20. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Only on Hulu huh? Ugh.

21. Really good show. Reminds me of Vertigo particularly the music which echoes elements of Bernard Hermann's compositions for the film.

22. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Great great show but the last episode was a major letdown. The 2nd to last was average. I was expecting far better but there's at least a 2nd season coming up.

I hope they'll learn from their mistake and make the last episode of season 2 as intriguing and fun to watch as the rest of the season.

23. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Just watched episode 1 tonight with my daughter. Don't know if she is hooked yet but I am. I'll definitely continue to watch. House was my favorite shown when it was on so this one with Hugh Laurie as a doctor immediately caught my interest.

24. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Season 2 starts this week on Hulu. October 11th to be precise.

25. Scott222C

And the first three episodes I watched yesterday are mindblowingly good. Epic show!

rockclassics likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.