Point of Shark Jump: When Did Any Given Television Show Jump?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by S. P. Honeybunch, Oct 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

I loved the ending. Then I watched the premiere of 'John From Cincinatti' and then went online to see a deluge of posts from people who hated it and was pretty surprised. I thought it worked perfectly, though I still don't buy into the interpretation that Tony was killed. Mainly because it's just too simple and basic a concept for a show that was so comfortable in the ambigious. Would the guy who never again referenced the Russian in the Pine Barrens really offer the audience closure on something as important as the ending? I didn't see it as an FU to the audience, I saw it as having enough faith in the audience that we wouldn't need to be hand-fed a definitive ending.

2. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

The "survivalist/hostage-taker" episode of A & E's Longmire seemed as if
    it were written and directed by someone who had never seen any previous
    episodes of the show. Thank goodness they got some of their mojo back later
    on in the season.

budwhite likes this.
  3. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

While I admit there were some aspects around that time that didn't ring true, I enjoyed the show until the final end. Top ten show of all time for me.

bluejeanbaby likes this.
  4. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

House returned to form the last season putting Foreman in charge and getting rid of Cutty.

5. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

That's buying the FARM :laugh:

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  6. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

OH, THAT RUSTY! when they replaced the parents . . .

7. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I never liked the show that much to begin with. As great as Hugh Laurie was, the rest was fairly predictable and the storyline was always pretty mundane.

(X) is a (Y) and faints, hemorrhages, freaks out and winds up in the hospital. It's initially thought it's (Z) and medical procedure is initiated, but wait! The patient isn't responding! House gets cranky and wise cracks to family and colleagues. Lo and behold, at the end, epiphany! Patient is close to death but House figures it out with about 5 minutes left in the episode. Genius! Saved!

8. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

I'm surprised they didn't replace him with Ted McGinley.

goodiesguy and Scopitone like this.
  9. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Chemo. They always try chemo.

GodShifter likes this.
  10. petercl

petercl Forum Resident

When Frank Pembleton left "Homicide" and when Jerry Orbach left "Law & Order"

11. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

that was one of the prime offenders. i wonder if the viewers noticed back in the day, its really obvious the dip when going from a season 1-2 episode to one of the drearier last season eps.
    I guess its not as bad as the bob-less bob Newhart shows when Emily/howard/jerry had to take the workload

12. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

not sure if its been mentioned but 'its always sunny......'
    the episode when dennis gets married (season 6 opener I think?)
    signal long slide

Scott57 likes this.
  13. And the real Mary actually went blind so not a shark jump.

sunspot42 and xdawg like this.
  14. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

A farm is a kind of store, isn't it??? ;)

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  15. Oatsdad

They had to get somebody bigger to hide Rusty's growth!

16. Oatsdad

Topher Grace ain't a big star, but he works in some big projects - he had a decent-sized role in "Interstellar", and he's been in other fairly prominent projects.

Kunis has had the best post-"70s Show" career of the bunch, IMO. Kutcher is closer to "where are they now?" than Grace at this point - he's more famous but he doesn't seem to land in anything potentially interesting anymore...

Lightworker, bluejeanbaby and xdawg like this.
  17. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney Thread Starter

18. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Bringing back the X-Files and creativity was dead on arrival..
    Scully And Mulder where not themselves.

19. xdawg

xdawg in labyrinths of coral caves

Hasn't he landed into Kunis? :D

20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Ashton Kutcher is said to be worth a whopping $160 million because of his tech investments, which include Skype, Foursquare, and AirBnB. Don't forget he was in two different hit sitcoms: That '70s Show and Two and a Half Men. I think he has more money than all the other actors from his previous '70s show combined.

superstar19 likes this.
  21. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

I feel like Black-ish has jumped with this current season. Started with the obligatory ABC sitcom Disney Parks episode, and has been really really preachy since then. The actors are still great (Jennifer Lewis always cracks me up as Ruby), but the scripts are just super subpar.
    Fresh Off the Boat, too, while it's still funny enough that it hasn't exactly jumped yet, really shifted negatively between seasons 1 and 2, with Eddie Huang no longer narrating and focus going more towards the whole family instead of just the Eddie character.

22. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

I give up around that time too, I think that was when they replaced Laurie with a different actress too.

Classicolin and zebop like this.
  23. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

While I normally love red-heads, I've never understood the appeal of Donna :shrug: Give me Laurie or even Jackie any day.

Classicolin and altaeria like this.
  24. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

Joan of Arcadia- It was great at first until they introduced a friend from over the summer, can't remember her name, it was dreadful though.

The Ghost Whisperer- When they killed off JLH's husband and then she met someome she saw as her husband, but she was the only one who saw him like that, silly.

Happy Days- No one has satisfactorily explained why Howard Cunningham was wearing late '70s aviators in 1962.

25. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

I'll happily watch Happy Days until Arnold's burns down, then it's no thanks from me. Even when I saw that episode as a young kid, I knew it was for the worst.

Ken K, Kirk76, MikeInFla and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.