"Supergirl" on CBS (now on The CW)*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by HGN2001, Oct 27, 2015.

1. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member Thread Starter

Yes, those light anthology shows were all over the '70s. SUPERTRAIN was one of NBC's attempted forays into the genre but it failed miserably. Another train show of a similar ilk was TIME EXPRESS - this one on CBS. Vincent Price and his on-screen wife hosted guests on the train and took them back to pivotal events in their life to set them on a better path. Only ran four episodes.

Harry

2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think they're all ripoffs of the classic 1932 MGM film Grand Hotel, which shove a whole bunch of stars, each with their own story, in the same place and let them clash over all kinds of melodramatic situations. You can make a good argument that all producer Aaron Spelling did was just rip off movies like this and turn them into bland, romantic TV soap operas with guest stars every week. Spelling did not do Supertrain -- that was 1970s producer Dan Curtis, known for Dark Shadows -- and maybe that's one reason why it failed. Another was that Supertrain was an unbelievably expensive show for its time, while the others were a lot more economical.

Supergirl has the problem of being very expensive and having a big cast. I'd guarantee you that some of the current cast are not gonna survive the move to Canada. The Flash and Arrow are kinda cheesy-looking shows, but I have to say that given their limited budget and schedule, they surprise me with the level of their VFX once in awhile.

I think "Hollywood Accounting" does happen with profits and residuals and stuff like that, but when it comes to initial production costs, it is what it is. A one-hour American network TV show these days costs about $3 million, and generally goes up every season due to built-in raises. A show like Walking Dead, with 16 speaking cast members, is most likely more expensive, though they get some tax breaks by shooting in Georgia.

razerx and will_b_free like this.
  3. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

4. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Vancouver, here we come... :laugh:

5. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Watched a bit last night.
    CGI zips along real fast, reminded me a bit of Buffy. On too late so snooze factor kicked in ..that's always a sign.

6. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

iZombie is about as close to the Buffy vibe as you can get now, it's moderately entertaining though not as good as either Buffy or Veronica Mars.

7. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Gonna be a big crossover with Supergirl, Flash, and Arrow in December.

8. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

You forgot Legends of Tomorrow. 4 show crossover event.

9. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

So. What do we think of the new season so far?

10. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

First episode was KILLER !!

Keith V likes this.
  11. The new season has been great. Leaving CBS has freed the writers to embrace Supergirl in a far more productive approach. This is now the show I had wanted all along.

It is a shame that Flockhart as Cat Grant won't be around all season. She's been the real surprise for me, I was expecting to hate her character when season one premiered. She took that somewhat thin role and really worked it into an essential element that worked.

12. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I've never watched Smallville, Flash, Arrow, or Legends. Haven't seen Suicide Squad and probably missed other DC projects. That said, Supergirl feels 'truer' to the classic DC universe than possibly ANY other project that preceded it. Cookies and references abound, this past episode featured an homage to the classic comicbook cover from the 'Crisis' series when Superman held a dead Supergirl in his arms. This geek is eagerly awaiting tbe arrival of Mon-El in his classic red & blue uniform!;)

PhantomStranger likes this.
  13. You are really missing out if you don't see Flash. I have no idea how they did it but the Barry Allen I read for decades is alive and well, being played on television by Grant Gustin to perfection. He's to Flash like Christopher Reeve is to Superman.

wayneklein and GeoffC like this.
  14. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I'm still watching. I don't watch any other super shows (not counting these crossover stories) except for Legion. I bailed on Legends Of Tomorrow for some reason but I liked it okay. Some of the few super comics I had as a kid were Supergirl though so maybe that's why. It was a semi-cartoony sort of comic then like Shazam! The other title I would look for was Plop! I found the really realistic busy-looking comics hard to read or even follow the panel flow. I hope they never get too dark or realistic with Supergirl, I hope that's not limiting.

15. This is why I have a problem with a big screen vs. small screen Barry Allen. Grant nails the role not sure how the other guys will do.

Paper Wizard likes this.
  16. As mentioned, "The Flash" feels as true to the comic as "Supergirl" and there are lots of references to the DC universe throughout the series.

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  17. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

The first season of Arrow is awesome.

Gotta love Supergirl. She's just so cute and pulls it off.

18. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

I haven't watched since Clark was on. I have the last 12 or so on DVR. Is it worth it to push on?

19. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

IMO the writing/direction of this show has taken a drastic nosedive since the (very mediocre) crossover 'event'. Regardless where you land on the issue of homosexuality, the decision to make it front and center on what was, in essence, a children's show, has hurt it. I've read comments over and over from parents who have tuned out. And the viewing numbers keep getting lower. Other missteps include the continuing massacre of the Jimmy Olsen character. Even though it wasn't perfect, the season opener featuring her cousin was the high point of the entire series!

Keith V likes this.
  20. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

It seems like the DC movie people are having trouble figuring out what to do with the Flash themselves, with the project losing two directors so far. I wonder how much the existence of the TV show has to do with that.

21. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

I think this show has its charm. I enjoy it quite a bit.

I was not aware Calista Flockhart is leaving the show. Anyone know why?

22. ascot

ascot Senior Member

The show's production moved from Los Angeles to Vancouver. Flockhart wanted to stay close to home is how I remember it. She's supposed to make guest appearances.

23. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

I've really enjoyed this show so far for what it is. It could be the best weekly superhero tv show (live action) ever.

24. Paper Wizard

Paper Wizard Forum Resident

Supergirl is a fun show. I do miss Calista Flockhart as Cat Grant.
    Not a fan of having James Olsen as the Guardian. I don't think he is needed as another hero.
    Also funny that on these shows so many people know a hero's "secret identity".
    Flash & Arrow also very enjoyable........

Keith V and FritzL like this.
  25. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I thought it was interesting how the aliens are sort of like a persecuted subculture, even with their own hangout kind of like a gay bar.