AT&T to Buy Time Warner for $85.4 Billion

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JozefK, Oct 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident Thread Starter

AT&T Reaches Deal to Buy Time Warner for $85.4 Billion »

The combined business would pair the carrier’s millions of wireless and pay-television subscribers with Time Warner’s deep media lineup, which includes networks such as CNN, TNT, the prized HBO channel and Warner Bros. film and TV studio [and TCM!]. It furthers AT&T’s bet that television and video can drive growth into a stalled wireless market.

“Premium content always wins. It has been true on the big screen, the TV screen and now it’s proving true on the mobile screen,” Mr. Stephenson, 56 years old, said in a release.

The companies said they aim to be the first U.S. wireless company to compete nationwide with cable companies by providing an online-video bundle akin to a traditional pay-television package. “It will disrupt the traditional entertainment model and push the boundaries on mobile content availability for the benefit of customers,” the companies said.​

2. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Makes my kinda happy that WMG is a separate entity now!

3. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

UUGGGHHHH....you can be sure of one thing...Prices will go up.

4. vince

OR.....
    AT&T will screw themselves, like AOL did!
    ...hope,hope....

5. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

The only reason a company drops $85B is because they know they'll be able to bilk consumers out of at least twice that much through rate hikes.

6. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Gosh I hope not. I have a lot of shares of both AT&T and TWC. Should be interesting.

7. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Doug, usually, when a merger like this happens, one goes up and one goes down.

8. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

Hope we are through with that wonky Time Warner moniker.

9. nopedals

nopedals Forum Resident

The only choices for high speed Internet in my town are att and twc. I get excellent service from att because if I don't they know that I will switch to twc. Rate hikes are only going to be part of it.

ianuaditis likes this.
  10. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

Nope, they will take one smaller subsidiary company, saddle it with all their debt and cut it loose.
    In a year or so, that company will declare bankruptcy and their debt will magically go away. Then
    they'll get really get busy screwing the general public like the giant monopoly they've become.....

ianuaditis, townsend and Stuart S like this.
  11. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I'm glad I put all my stocks in The Pet Rock. Smart move. :)

12. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

Time Warner Cable (recently renamed Spectrum) and the Time Inc. magazine division were previously spun off from the parent company as separate entities, so the proposed merger does not include either of them. What AT&T will be getting are the cable networks/channels and the Warner studio.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
    ianuaditis and SamS like this.
  13. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

Not going to happen if the Feds or enough state regulatory agencies say "No!"

Example: Comcast's proposed acquisition of TWC.

14. townsend

townsend Senior Member

That's why they call it vulture capitalism . . .

vince likes this.
  15. vince

I had no idea that TW had sold off AOL!
    I'm trying to remember what year they sold off the record label....

16. townsend

townsend Senior Member

Doug, I've got some shares of AT&T as well. I inherited them when my father passed away in 1992 and over several decades, they underwent several name changes: Southwestern Bell > SBC > AT&T.

I have lost a good deal by hanging onto them (compared to what they were once worth), but as you know, they do pay a nice dividend. It's bizarre that dividends are only taxed at 15%, isn't it?

Scott

ianuaditis and Doug Sclar like this.
  17. cathandler

cathandler Senior Member

It's just weird how random opposition to mergers is. The Comcast-TWC merger drew howls of protest and was shot down, yet the TWC-Charter merger sailed through with nary a whimper. Likewise, the AT&T-Time Warner merger is attracting immediate opposition, yet the Comcast-NBCUniversal was approved with only minor conditions attached.

18. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

19. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Headlines on these types of transactions should say "A wants to by B". Not as provocative, but more accurate.

20. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

So much Greed...

21. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

I dont undersrand,how can AT&T buy them??

CHARTER ALREADY DID!!!!!!!!!!

22. cathandler

cathandler Senior Member

Charter bought Time Warner CABLE, which was spun off from Time Warner in 2009. I wonder if this confusion is the source of a lot of opposition to the merger, as Charter has only begun the transition from Time Warner Cable to Spectrum.

Dude111 and SamS like this.
  23. That's an obscene amount of money to spend on any company. Every one else will pay for it.

Dude111 and Ghostworld like this.
  24. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

AT&T just started on me. My 'all inclusive' $45 'go' prepay just had the mandated E911 fee unbundled as an additional charge. So from being $45 net it's now $51.13!

ATT must have been paying this before, you can't get away from it. So ATT just pocketed an extra $6.13 per month from all of us trying to keep the bills down.

It won't take them long to rack up those billions like this.

25. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

AT&T CEO Randall Stephenson today defended his company's proposed acquisition of Time Warner, saying that critics who claim the merger will raise prices are "uninformed." As proof, he said the AT&T-owned DirecTV will soon launch a $35-per-month streaming service called DirecTV Now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.