U.S. Revolver?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Keith V, Oct 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rojo

Rojo Forum Resident

Your explanation is cristal clear. And you have found some great examples to make your case.

However (there's always a "but") I think that "I'm Only Sleeping" is a very good song even if measured by the guitar/piano only standards.

Keith V likes this.
  2. Joe N

Joe N Forum Resident

I agree. I think all five of Lennon's songs on Revolver are brilliant. "Dr. Robert" is the most lightweight of the bunch, but it's still
    I completely agree. "I'm Only Sleeping" is a great song, musically and lyrically.

Folknik likes this.
  3. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yeah. I probably shouldn't have mentioned the Great American Songbook :)

4. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

The flow of the recorded song is definitely drum and rhythm guitar dependent as-is.

Maybe it could have gotten more of a Brian Wilson Pet Sounds treatment to nice effect.

Would have been cool if they had slipped that into their 1966 set in place of 'Yesterday'.

NumberEight and Keith V like this.
  5. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

In terms of the great Revolver vs. Sgt. Pepper debate, I'd say Revolver has better songs overall; Pepper is more impressive as a record. That being said, Revolver is impressively engineered as an album, and Pepper has some very good songs on it - "A Day in the Life" has a defensible claim as the Beatles' greatest recorded achievement. I listen to Revolver all the way through more often than I listen to Pepper.

I'm not crazy about some of the songs on Revolver - "Dr. Robert," "Yellow Submarine," "Here, There and Everywhere" - but they each do what they set out to accomplish. "Yellow Submarine," for instance, was written as a kid's song, and kids love it. Part of the Beatles' genius was that they could hop around different genres a little more deftly than many of their contemporaries. This means that they'd do songs in genres that I don't particularly care for, but I can still appreciate and admire that they were good at it.

Keith V likes this.
  6. Keith V

Well said

7. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

Tastes do vary. I think that high, ethereal quality in Paul's voice is just perfect for this song, almost dreamlike.

AppleCorp3, ParloFax and Keith V like this.
  8. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

Might have been fun as a double album! I can't help but really dig (some of) the US albums. Of course, I grew up on them, so there's that.

The music isn't to shabby either.

musicfan37 and Keith V like this.
  9. Keith V

Yeah. I made a CDr for the car with US Rubber Soul and Yesterday and Today. Great stuff.

AppleCorp3, mschrist and musicfan37 like this.
  10. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

I will say that, considering it was basically thrown together out of tracks that hadn't appeared on U.S. albums, "Yesterday and Today" hangs together quite well, almost as if it had been planned as an album by the band.

11. Keith V

There's something about that album that intrigues me no end.

12. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

If I'm just in a Revolver mood, I'll play the UK mono. If I'm in a "mid-60's Beatles" mood I always spin the US Rubber Soul, Yesterday And Today and US Revolver back to back. What the hell, not even an hour and a half of what is IMO generally speaking The Beatles' finest music. It's the one period of theirs I always find myself returning to.

13. drasil

drasil Former Resident

US Revolver are okay. me, I'm a huge fan of The Beatles (White Album) UK Mono Top-Loader, especially their hit '0365931.'

14. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

The Beatles didn't get the memo, as their 1964-66 USA tours often featured as many as 10-11 songs for each concert.

15. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

yeah...interesting for us us folks..cuz the rubber soul yesterday and today revolver period was how we got it...and forever shall remain shall.....for me....the us version is great..the uk version is great too......

AppleCorp3 and Keith V like this.
  16. spherical

spherical Forum Resident

that's right.....exactly....you musta been around in the us in the sixties....

Rfreeman likes this.
  17. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

The US Rubber Soul is the closest we got to a Beatles folk album. "I've Just Seen a Face" and "It's Only Love" fit the texture much better than "Drive My Car" and "What Goes On." The US Revolver , on the other hand, is just an abridgement.

Bruce M., Keith V and ParloFax like this.
  18. Keith V

Reminds me of a cassette I may still have lying around somewhere :)

19. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Yeah, I have a hard time listening to the 1987 Martin stereo remixes for the UK Help! and Rubber Soul material.

I really prefer the original 1965 US stereo mixes for those.

Thus, the 2009 remaster versions of the US albums don't cut it with me; they're the US albums on paper (not even, though), but certainly not in spirit.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
    Keith V likes this.
  20. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Some would say that's the Beatles' finest hour... (and a half).

(Plus, throw in 'Paperback Writer'/'Rain').

Rfreeman and Keith V like this.
  21. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

They always did 12 songs.

22. S. P. Honeybunch

Not according to setlist.fm.

23. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

According to what they actually played, they always did 12 songs on the tours you were referring to, in 1964, 5 and 6.

24. Keith V

Hmmm. I sense a mix CD for the Car. But what to leave off to make 80mins?

25. S. P. Honeybunch

The historical record contradicts your statement about 12 songs per show.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.