U.S. Revolver?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Keith V, Oct 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

The US Revolver was the way I was introduced to it... my parents' mono LP, no less.

Needless to say, getting the album on CD in the late 80s was a great gift with the extra Lennon tunes... I can't hear it now without them.

Keith V likes this.
  2. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

I'm too lazy at the moment to look up the exact times, but considering the US Rubber Soul is the longest of the three -around twenty nines minutes as I recall- and Y & T and Revolver both clock in around twenty five each I'd imagine you could squeeze all three albums on there complete.

If not, when it doubt, lose the Ringo tunes, maybe?:p

Keith V likes this.
  3. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Prefer the U.K. Revolver.
    But, from a completist perspective the US is necessary.

4. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Name the shows where they played 10 or 11 songs and on which date.
    Hint, there are none.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
  5. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

Do a search on setlist.fm. There are a ton of them.

6. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

I have. They are all 12 songs. Why do you persist in this strange canard? A 'ton' means 100, right? All I ask you to do is post ONE setlist of 10 songs on a Beatles tour with date and venue. That you are unable to proves you're simply mischief making as usual.

7. S. P. Honeybunch

On January 16, 1964 they played 8 songs. On October 20, 1964 they played 10 songs.

8. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Well, neither of these were on the US tours that you were talking about, were they. In 1963 they often did shows with just 4 or 5 songs. But guess what, they were not in the US either. Rather famously they first performed in the US in February 1964. So, still zero. But you still have 98 to go of your 'ton'. You'd do better just admitting your original post was wrong, as usual

9. S. P. Honeybunch

What's the difference? They didn't discriminate in playing 8 songs in America either. September 16, 1964 they played 8 songs in the USA, and all of their 1966 USA performances were less than twelve songs.

10. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

The Charity performance? That wasn't a regular gig. And, you'll note it's not 10 or 11 songs either. Show me a regular gig in the USA where they did 10 songs.

11. S. P. Honeybunch

It's worse that they played ten songs in the UK, because the audience was cheated out of the thirteen or fourteen total songs that they would have heard on the LP. The Beatles were much more kind to regularly give the USA audience the full rigamarole album experience.

12. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

I get it, you love Capitol, we all know that!
    The best set list The Beatles ever did was in December 1965 when, among the 12 songs, was Day tripper, Help! We Can Work It Out, Nowhere Man (and Dizzy Miss Lizzie; 12 songs as usual. Setlist.fm is wrong)

13. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

I think it's just a testament to the quality of their output at that time - you could toss together any batch of the songs at random and it would be good.

14. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I'll kick Love You Too off the island. Might also give Michelle the boot if necessary to have both Paperback Writer and Rain on it. Third choice for eviction would be either Yellow Sub, which is great, but sounds more like their 67 material, or Taxman which sits along side Piggies in the worst Beatles lyrics ever column.

15. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

Understood about Piggies but surprised about Taxman.

Keith V likes this.
  16. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

If I had to sacrifice a Harrisong from Revolver it would have to be "I Want To Tell You"...always been my least favourite song on the album. It's the only Revolver track that seems like "filler" material to me.

Keith V likes this.
  17. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident Thread Starter

I was never a big fan of If I Needed Someone too. I suspect I'm in the minority.

18. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Now you're just trying to be controversial.;)

Keith V likes this.
  19. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Why are you guys fighting? Most first generation Beatles collectors know that they did 12 songs in 64-65 and 11 songs in 66 - in fact, most can recite the setlists (almost no variation, except when they did two shows a day, as I recall, although I could be wrong). I don't have my Beatles Live book right now, but I'm pretty sure that's the common wisdom.

The only possible argument you could make that they "often" did 10 songs in the US would be to say that Rock and Roll Music/She's a Woman was a medley (Rock and Roll Music was shortened) on the 66 tour. But, that's bending the facts.

20. broccolid

broccolid Trickologist

It already is, IMO.

NumberEight and Keith V like this.
  21. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

The Yesterday & Today mini tour.

Keith V and NumberEight like this.
  22. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

Yeah, they even did If I Needed Someone and Yesterday, and on some shows, Act Naturally!

notesfrom and Keith V like this.
  23. DennisF

DennisF Forum Resident

Sure would like to hear the live version of We Can Work It Out. Does that exist anywhere?

Keith V likes this.
  24. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

I recall reading somewhere that there are no known recordings from the December 1965 tour. There's no evidence that any gigs were professionally recorded, and if an audience recording ever turned up, it seems safe to say that it's probably almost unlistenable.

25. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

"Rubber Soul" is 36 minutes; "Revolver" 35; and "We Can Work It Out"/"Day Tripper" is another five minutes. You're not going to fit four songs from "Help!" on top of that pile.

I tried to put the mono UK "Revolver" and "Rubber Soul" onto a CD-R with the four period single tracks, and they won't fit unless you cut out the silences between tracks. That's 32 tracks; the three U.S. albums are 34. Something's gotta go, unless you want to blaspheme the material by speeding up everything a half-step. (I've heard they did something like that with episodes of "Star Trek" to make room for more commercials.)

Keith V likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.