I want to pick up New Order's catalog on CD (up to Technique): please advise!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Norm Apter, Mar 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

The US Qwest "Movement' SRC-01 is an exact clone of the Factus 3rd variant Disctronics pressing :cheers:

jamesc likes this.
  2. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Didn't know that applying de-emphasis would affect the DR values.
    But I doubt most of those values posted on the loudness wars website had de-emphasis applied.
    When I rip a cd via XLD, then run the tracks through the DR app, how would DR know to apply de-emphasis?
    Does XLD automatically apply de-emphasis when ripping? I don't think so. I believe XLD keeps the flag in place, and doesn't alter the music file at all.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Nevertheless, it is curious that the first US Factus cd pressing is listed as having a slightly higher DR value.
    So I take it with a grain of NaCl.

Why 3 different Factus pressings of Movement? Good question, as Factus cds had a very short release period.

Why the interest in the original Factory cd pressings of Movement? Because on the most revealing systems I've heard it's the best sounding New Order recording I've heard. Vinyl included.

Brotherhood is second place.

3. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

Just now getting these.

o All the Movements seem to be the same?

o It has been said that the UK Factories are the same as the London/Centredates, but Low-life is different:

LOW-LIFE FACD100 UK FACTORY DISC
    85.1/82.6/75.2/73.0/82.3/81.8/95.7/72.6

Low-life London CentreDate German 8573 813131-2
    77.7/95.6 /69.2/99.1/82.2/92.0/87.7/88.8

I thought at first, that difference might be due to PE, but that would most likely be a constant shift downward, which is it for the 1st track, but not #2, #4, etc.

I'm going for a "Rainbow Coalition" of discs, i.e., one disc for each release, from a different country. (I figured that for the most part, any early mastering will be better than the DE's. But I do have the DE's for the bonus CDs.) This is what I have (coming):

Movement - 25CY Jpn
    PC&Ls - Canada 832
    Low-life - 33C38 Jpn
    Brotherhood - UK Facd 150
    Technique - Fr 30678
    Republic - US Qwest

I'll post EAC numbers as I start to get these, just like I have for Substance. :)

4. c-eling

Does your Low-Life Centre have pre-emph? , any Low-Life with the 85.1 peaks have it
    Make sure you grab the West German silver for Canada Brotherhood also, it contains an excellent sounding BLT-Shep 12 inch :)

5. c-eling

I agree, My Movement UK Townhouse GG is probably the crown jewel of my NO collection :cheers:

6. kevin5brown

I wrote that in the wrong order. :) I'm getting (or have) the list at the bottom. It was more of a question about the two Low-life's up top: if UK Factory and London/Centredate CDs are always the same, why are they different for Low-life? Must have a different mastering, even above and beyond if the UK Factory has PE, and the London/Centredate doesn't.

c-eling likes this.
  7. c-eling

The Centre probably does not have pre, since it's a later 90's pressing. By that time even the 1988 SRC US had the proper EQ done for it's issue

8. SeventhTime

SeventhTime Well-Known Member

Once you remove the pre emph the 85 Low Life (or ones which are re-releases of it) sound better than the US Quest from 88. It actually sounds very good.

c-eling likes this.
  9. kevin5brown

EAC numbers! :)

Movement - Jpn 25CY
    94.9, 78.6, 88.9, 80.5, 78.8, 84.7, 75.2, 83.7

PC&L - Canada 834
    80.4, 81.3, 95.0, 77.6, 80.4, 100.0, 96.5, 80.0

Low-life - Jpn 33C38 (yes, has PE)
    85.1, 82.6, 75.2, 73.0, 82.3, 81.8, 95.7, 72.6

Brotherhood - Facd 150 (UK) GB Nimbus
    91.1, 100.0, 90.5, 99.4, 100.0, 83.2, 94.7, 94.4, 75.5, 100.0

Technique - Fr MPO 30678
    97.0, 92.4, 93.9, 91.8, 94.2, 91.1, 97.3, 95.2, 94.6

Movement might be a different mastering than the more commonly available: 97.1/82.2/91.5/84.5/77.7/86.5/78.9/84.7

10. c-eling

So we have Brotherhood-
    US SRC-
    83.9/100/88.3/91.1/93.4/83.4/89.9/84.0/69.1/
    UK Nimbus-
    91.1, 100.0, 90.5, 99.4, 100.0, 83.2, 94.7, 94.4, 75.5, (100.0 State of The Nation)
    West Germany for Canada-
    80.3/82.3/84.8/77.5/74.1/77.5/83.4/72.7/60.3/ (79.8 State of The Nation)/(86.1 Bizarre Love Triangle -Remixed By Shep)

PC&L-Canada 834 Matches UK Nimbus, both original 8 track

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
    Linnaeus Nightingale likes this.
  11. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

What is the difference between the first and corrected release of Movement Collectors Edition CD (2009)?

If you buy one new at Amazon UK, any idea which one you would get?

Tim

12. c-eling

As long as it doesn't contain a slip-case, the 'fixed' editions were just re-issued in a sealed digi I believe

onlyconnect likes this.
  13. SeventhTime

I always take off State Of The Nation when I copy it into my music library, wasn't on the vinyl and is on Substance, and I don't particularly like it much, so in my mind the album finishes with Every Second Counts.

c-eling likes this.
  14. c-eling

The edit is about all I can handle for that tune :laugh:

15. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I haven’t read this thread, so I don’t know if someone has already posted this, but the original UK Factory CD’s sound great, but they were manufactured at PDO and many are defective. In a humid atmosphere, the disc surface can get sticky to the touch.

Depending on how your CD player works that can cause them to get stuck in the player. Some may have “rotted” as well.

16. Mbe

Mbe Forum Resident

These are the Factory editions I have if of any use;

Movement – MPO France FACD 50 MPO 03
    P,C & Lies – Nimbus England FACD 75 (1 dot)
    Low-Life - Made in Japan C38 – 7413
    Brotherhood – Mastered by Nimbus FACD 150 (1 dot)
    Technique – Mastered by Nimbus FACD 275 (1 dot)
    Substance – Mastered by Nimbus 200/1 (5 dots) 200/2 (4 dots)

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
    c-eling likes this.
  17. c-eling

If you can source an old US Qwest for Technique at a cheap price, check it out :)

Mbe and jsayers like this.
  18. Mbe

Mbe Forum Resident

Yes interesting;
    Would a Quest barcode from 89/90 be ok to use as prices are quite low at the moment, if I’m quick enough.

Not 100% sure but think the only Quest I have is Power, Corruption & Lies as it includes Blue Monday / The Beach

19. c-eling

I believe so. I don't think these ever received a single disc remaster. A 'W' preceding the Cat# will indicate a club if it matters

Mbe likes this.
  20. Mbe

Mbe Forum Resident

Thanks c-eling, I now have one on order.
    The barcode at Amazon UK lists as a Qwest 1990 edition (close enough), strangely the ASIN generated when entered in the US lists a 2011 edition with the prospect of orders fulfilled with CD-R’s.
    Always liked the Factory edition, sounds lush although I have never compared to any other editions out there, even ones with higher DR :)

Had to ninja edit the Blue Monday / Beach reference to double check and confirm before reinstating (joy).

c-eling likes this.
  21. c-eling

I've an old UK Factory Nimbus as well. I think the Qwest gives a different approach to this classic Mbe. Kinda how I felt with the US Violator compared to the Euro. No winner's just personal favorites :)

jamesc and Mbe like this.
  22. SeventhTime

Well the US Technique has a higher DR rating. The Factory one has similar DR levels to the remaster.

I'd rate the US Quest the best, and the remaster actually better than the Factory. But their all good really.

Mbe likes this.
  23. George P

George P Notable Member

Which Violator is your personal fave? The US has been a demo disc for me for years. Never heard the Euro. How do they differ?

24. c-eling

Lack of 'punch', has a laid back approach to it, best I can describe it as George
    However, The German Sonopress has a prettier face :winkgrin:
    [​IMG]

George P likes this.
  25. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

Bought one at Amazon UK and it does appear to be the corrected issue.

Tim

c-eling likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.