EVERY Billboard #1 hit discussion thread 1958-Present

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alphanguy, Jan 29, 2016.

1. I Love Music

I Love Music Forum Resident

Boon and Katy also "performed" a version of Hey Paula in 1978’s Animal House:

Incidentally, the original Hey Paula was recorded by Paul And Paula (Jill And Ray) at the famous Clifford Herring Studio in Fort Worth, Texas and was produced by former World War II bomber navigator Major Bill Smith who also produced an earlier Billboard #1 “hey” song recorded at the same studio, Bruce Channel’s Hey! Baby.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
    Meng, JonnyKidd, SuprChickn77 and 2 others like this.
  2. Finchingfield

Finchingfield Forum Resident

"Georgy Girl" by The Seekers was #1 in the US on both the Cashbox & Record World charts for 1 week, Billboard was odd man out at #2...

JonnyKidd and sgb like this.
  3. John54

John54 Senior Member

I like Hey Paula, but I didn't in 1963, and in fact not until about 20 years ago.

It has an interesting structure, basically: verse 1 / verse 2 / bridge 1 / half of verse 1 / bridge 2 (although the bridge 1 lyrics repeat), and they manage to end both the verses and the bridges on that same "my love" motif!

They had several follow-ups, most of them also quite slow, with Young Lovers the biggest hit from among them. But my favourite since 1963 has been the more uptempo number First Day Back at School:

4. alphanguy

alphanguy Forum Resident Thread Starter

I said at the beginning of this thread, that occasionally a #2 song would be featured if it had special chart significance, and now that we are entering March 1963, such a song has come along. "The End Of The World" by Skeeter Davis was released in December 1962, and peaked at #2 on the hot 100 in March of 1963. The lyrics were written in 1928 by a 14 year old Sylvia Dee after the death of her father, and then 32 years later, she gave these lyrics to her writing partner, Arthur Kent, who wrote the haunting melody. When Skeeter recorded the song, she sang it about the death of her singing partner, Betty Jack Davis who was killed in a head on collision in 1953. Although peaking at #2, the song garnered such crossover success that it came in at #3 on the 1963 Billboard year end charts, and to this day.... remains the only song in music history to be in the top 10 of all 4 major charts (AC, Hot 100, R&B, Country) Simultaneously.

5. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Why did the birds stop their singing?
    Why do the clouds block the sun?
    'Cause they know that The End Of The World
    It ended short of number one.

6. HarborRat

HarborRat Forum Resident

"The End Of The World" is on my short list of "the most beautiful song ever". And its fascinating to learn that it was inspired by the death of the lyricist's father. There seem to be quite a few songs that were inspired by or about the loss of a loved one but framed and interpreted as a romantic break-up - "Everything I Own" (Bread) and "I'm Not Lisa" (Jesse Coulter) come immediately to mind.

7. I Love Music

I Love Music Forum Resident

I’ve always enjoyed the music of Skeeter Davis.

Those who live in this area of the country, or who have passed through it, may be familiar with Dry Ridge, Kentucky, a small town along Interstate 75 between Lexington, Kentucky and Cincinnati, Ohio. Interstate travelers may have occasion to stop in Dry Ridge for gas, food, or shopping (there is an outlet mall that has seen better days). One of the first times I stopped in Dry Ridge I saw this sign just off the exit on Kentucky Route 22:

[​IMG]

I always knew Skeeter was a Kentucky native but later, when I researched this further, I learned that she was born in a two-room clapboard shack on the banks of Eagle Creek in nearby Glencoe and spent most of her childhood with her grandparents in Dry Ridge where she gained the nickname “Skeeter” due to her highly active nature, and where her musical talent first surfaced in school and at the Dry Ridge Christian Church.

In tribute to these roots, the stretch of road between Kentucky Route 22 and U.S. Highway 25 ("Dixie Highway") in Dry Ridge was renamed Skeeter Davis Highway in 1998.

8. sgb

sgb Senior Member

One of the world's greatest songs for sure.

JonnyKidd and SuprChickn77 like this.
  9. Finchingfield

Finchingfield Forum Resident

and it peaked at #1 on the pre-Record World chart Music Vendor for 1 week. #2 on Cashbox for 3 weeks. Billboard #2 for 1 week, lagging behind...

JonnyKidd likes this.
  10. Damiano54

Damiano54 Senior Member

Years ago I read that Chet Atkins described Skeeter Davis' voice as thin and reedy but when she went into the studio, there was magic. I was surprised at his comment since I was always a big fan of End of the World and I Can't Stay Mad at You. However when I later heard some live performances, her voice was not too impressive. Not meant as a putdown of Skeeter Davis herself, just an observation that her voice outside the studio did sound thin.

JonnyKidd likes this.
  11. Damiano54

Damiano54 Senior Member

12. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Keep meaning to check out a cd of Skeeter. This song is only in my collection by virtue of being on VA compilations.

JonnyKidd likes this.
  13. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

I didn't know about "I'm Not Lisa". Incredibly sad. I've been there. Not a girlfriend, but a close female friend I loved so much.
    Back to thread........

JonnyKidd likes this.
  14. John54

John54 Senior Member

The End of the World is one of those songs I'm lukewarm about, meaning I like it but not necessarily a whole lot. It was out before we came to this side of the pond in 1963 and I don't recall hearing it over there.

I was always a fan of I Can't Stay Mad at You, however; I recall it being "Chumdinger" one week, meaning the biggest upward movement, from #48 to #17.

Some singers' voices were multiply tracked, no? I suspect this is true for Skeeter Davis. Whatever makes a good song is fine by me, and in her case they largely succeeded.

JonnyKidd likes this.
  15. alphanguy

The other thing that astounds me so much is that a 14 year old girl wrote those words. They do have a simplicity about them where you can see where a young girl would be the author, though. Chet Atkins was a master producer, and this is up there right at the top of his work, that solitary note in the coda right before Skeeter sings, "Good----bye", is a masterstroke.

16. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

Speaking of Skeeter Davis, she sang my all time favorite "answer-record":

JonnyKidd and sgb like this.
  17. sgb

sgb Senior Member

I looked at this one back when this one was released as a full-priced CD then decided against buying it. Now that it's cheap, I've put it on my Amazon wish list for my next buying spree.

https://www.amazon.com/Essential-Sk...d=1477487025&sr=1-1&keywords=skeeter+davis+cd

JonnyKidd and John B Good like this.
  18. HarborRat

HarborRat Forum Resident

Here's another "answer record" by Skeeter Davis: "I Can't Help You (I'm Falling Too)" - answer to Hank Locklin's country classic "Please Help Me I'm Falling".
    Skeeter Davis I can't help you i'm falling too »
    (And is that Floyd Cramer on piano? Sounds like him.)

19. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I didn't recall this song at all - finally heard it thanks to Mad Men and even though I wasn't familiar with it, was certainly evocative of the era (and heralded the coming influence of country on '60s and eventually '70s pop and rock).

JonnyKidd likes this.
  20. Hey Vinyl Man

Just what does it say about "Hey Paula" that we've talked a lot less about it than about the song it blocked from #1? (If nothing else, it's a reminder that what was huge in its own time isn't always what stands the test of time best...)

JonnyKidd, billh, O Don Piano and 2 others like this.
  21. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Exactly.

JonnyKidd and SuprChickn77 like this.
  22. alphanguy

Next is "Walk Like A Man" by the 4 Seasons, #1 from March 2 - March 22, 1963

23. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Fantastic record. Still love it. The band were just cranking out the hits during '62 through '66.

"No woman's worth crawling on the earth
    So walk like a man my son."

JonnyKidd, sgb and John B Good like this.
  24. Hey Vinyl Man

One of my favorite Four Seasons songs, and probably the only one from their Vee-Jay days of which I would say that. With that edge and attitude, you can see why they withstood the British Invasion.

JonnyKidd likes this.
  25. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

I'm always a little brought down when I realize I NEVER HEARD THE LYRIC. What kind of a fan was I?

At least I'm wiser than that now :)