Predicting the Movie Hits and Bombs of 2016

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Dec 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

To Infinity and Beyond!!!

2. rjp

rjp Senior Member

do you foresee oscars in the future of either, or both?

3. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

And the early ones so far are not...

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

I think Arrival is going to be seen as a talky, intellectual film without a lot of action. For me, it's one of the more interesting films coming out in the next month or two and I'll absolutely go see it. But I'm not super-confident it's going to be a huge hit. The good news is that it was a relatively modest-budget ($50M) film, so it doesn't have to make a huge amount of dough to break even. I was a huge fan of the 1997 movie Contact, which has some similar ideas.

Girl on a Train leaves me cold, and I see no huge mass-market success there. On the other hand, you can't underestimate a movie based on a best-seller.

Rogue One will be an enormous hit the first week it opens, but it could be another Phantom Menace -- a movie that made a ton of dough but got universally bad reviews. I think there are a lot of very cautious, careful people at Disney who are extremely aware of the amount of anticipation on this film, and they're going way out of their way to make sure nobody is disappointed. I think that's a tough film to make, because on the one hand, the audience wants to be surprised and to see something new, but on the other hand, it can't be so different that it doesn't look and feel like "Star Wars."

BTW, I'm guessing that at least one version of the script had basically everybody dying at the end, after getting the plans to the Death Star and giving them to R2. It seems to me that that would be a suicide mission at best. And it would also explain why none of those rebels were in Episodes 4-6. But if everybody dies, that would be a huge downer film, and I think they want to avoid that.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
    Maggie likes this.
  5. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

The Arrival, certainly; Girl on the Train, very doubtful (it is arguably too early in the season for this kind of film to be noticed), unless Blunt gets some recognition.

6. rjp

rjp Senior Member

well, she was totally ignored last year for her outstanding role in sicario.

7. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

I remember watching it, and about halfway in (before I knew what the title was) I remember thinking to myself "If this is called 'Monster Trucks,' I'm done with Hollywood forever."

Plan9 likes this.
  8. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

"The Accountant" looks like a parody movie. Like some bored executives were sitting around in a conference room one day, trying to think of the most boring occupation that could ever be the subject of a film.

9. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

That's one of the few films I'm looking forward to seeing.

10. Vidiot

I'm in awe of the stupidity of executives that could okay spending $120M on that piece of crap.

There have been worse movies on similar themes before. It does look a by-the-note duplicate of 100 movies of mysterious, expensive assassins for hire, which is an idea done many times: Eraser, The Killer, Day of the Jackal, Lucky Number Slevin (which I worked on a little bit), Collateral, The Mechanic, The Equalizer, The Professional, La Femme Nikita, Bourne Legacy, etc.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
  11. R. Cat Conrad

R. Cat Conrad Almost Famous

The target audience of the film's producers must've been the no shirt, no shoes, no service demographic. They should've thought that through a little more. :winkgrin:

:cheers:
    Cat

sunspot42 and Vidiot like this.
  12. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

I wouldn't at all be surprised if it turns out that some executive/producer came up with the title first, and ordered some poor screenwriter to write a movie around it.

sunspot42 likes this.
  13. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

This not 80's anymore that's what feel like with Monster Trucks..
    Kinda like Garbage Pail Kids The Movie.. of course they didn't waste that much
    money compared till now..
    Whoever gave the okay for this should be fired and banned from Hollywood, forever...

14. knob twirler

knob twirler Senior Member

That version would be 'Eat, Pray, Twitch.'

15. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

16. Vidiot

Wow, I would not have predicted that a movie as big as Inferno would be a big bomb, and that stupid Madea Halloween movie wound up as the biggest movie of the last two weeks:

Weekend Box Office: 'Inferno' Loses to 'Madea' in Stunning Halloween Upset »
    Box Office: Tom Hanks’ ‘Inferno’ Opens Cool, Heads for Disappointing $17 Million Opening in U.S. »

The big movies remaining for this year include:

Dr. Strange (already doing well overseas)
    Arrival (sci-fi thriller with Amy Adams)
    Fantastic Beasts (Harry Potter tie-in, can't miss)
    Star Wars: Rogue One (a very costly film that I think will do OK).

I look forward to seeing all of them, and I'd be surprised if all of them aren't very profitable and get decent reviews. I don't get a good vibe off the new Disney film Moana.

I've already seen some previews for some early 2017 films like M. Night Shyamalan's Split, which looks like one of the scariest damned films ever. I hope it's good and does well.

17. alexpop

All Loki like bombs to me cept, Dr Strange, yeah Stars Wars ....will recoup( not impressed myself ).

18. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

They probably waited too long for the 3rd Langdon movie. 7 years for a franchise that was never exactly "beloved" seems like too long to me...

Oy - looks terrible to me!

I view anything from MNS with skepticism, and the trailer looks silly as can be.

I like McAvoy but he seems to be ultra-camp in this one:

19. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Think I saw Dr Strange already at 90m overseas.

20. alexpop

Made a lasting impression.

21. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Dr Strange is the Marvel movie I enjoyed the best.
    Nice change of scenery from the usual "military-industrial" ambiance of most of the others.

22. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Good to hear you liked it.

I'll see it, but I'm unenthusiastic about it. Never was a big Dr. Strange fan when I read comics as a teen - just not wild about the whole "mystical" thing - but I hope to like the movie...

23. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Honestly if I had seen it in the 80s as a kid, I would have been a fan (I've never read the comics).

The soundtrack has some surprising instances of harpsichords and vintage keyboards, which is also a plus, knowing how the music for these films is usually stale and unmemorable.

24. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

I saw Inferno on Friday and liked it very much. Hanks was good in it, as was Felcity Jones, who, I believe, has another big movie coming out at the end of the year. ;) But I knew it wasn't going to do as well as The Da Vinci Code and Angels & Demons due to the length of time between its release and the previous two. Though, I thought it would do better than the Madea Halloween movie. Also, The Da Vinci Code did so well because of the all the hype and fascination with the book and subject matter. Angels & Demons did well too (not as well as The Da Vinci Code) mainly because it had the luxury of riding the coattails of its movie predecessor. Inferno isn't even the third Langdon story by Dan Brown. Ron Howard decided to skip the third story (The Lost Symbol) and do Inferno instead. He said the main reason was because the third story was too similar to the first two and wanted to do something that was different. Though, doing the movies out of order didn't hurt the first two (The Da Vinci Code was the 2nd book of the series and Angels & Demons was the first book.) Dan Brown said a 5th Langdon book will be released some time in 2017 called Origin.

Another thing that might have hurt Inferno at the box office is Tom Hanks' recent political comments, which might have turned away potential paying customers.

I look forward to those 4 movies you list, along with a couple others before the end of the year.

Seeing Dr. Strange this Friday, Arrival the week after, Fantastic Beasts the week after that and Rogue One on its release day.

I also want to try to catch Hacksaw Ridge, Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk, and a couple others I am forgetting.

Early next year I want to see John Wick Chapter 2 with Keanu Reeves (the first one I thought was great) and Split. I admit that M. Night Shyamalan's movies had gotten progressively worse (I didn't even bother seeing his last one, even though it was supposedly better than his previous few before that,) but I do want to see Split mainly because of McAvoy. The trailers also look good to me and could be a frightening/creepy movie experience (hoping the best parts aren't all in the trailer.)

25. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

I was shocked at how much I enjoyed John Wick.

alexpop, John Moschella and mikeyt like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.