Rhino "Rocktober" releases coming soon...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Vinyl Addict, Aug 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

I have the black vinyl pressed at RTI and I liked it. Also have a US original green label and many cd/SACD versions including the 90s anniversary reissues and the 40th and so on.

I pretty much devour any version of the MKII era albums as they are very high on my all time favorite lists.

2. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident Thread Starter

Says it's in stock!
    DEEP PURPLE - MACHINE HEAD (CLEAR VINYL) »

Wish I could say the same for the Alice Cooper :confused:
    I'll have to look elsewhere, I waited too long.
    NC is a pain in the ass now, since they moved into the mall:buttkick:

Opeth likes this.
  3. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

I hate the mall, frankly I think they were way better before, they don't seem to bring in as many EU imports anymore.

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  4. Vinyl Addict

I take more trips to the Norwood shop, than I do to the damn mall.

Opeth likes this.
  5. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

I need to get down there... Going to the Burlington show next week?

6. MickAvory

MickAvory Forum Resident

Thanks. I was able to grab it this morning from Barnes & Noble. My local one had it in stock. I don't know what happened with this release. Many on here said they got it early (including me) and Rhino's website says its 10/25. I guess when it comes to the Flamin' Groovies that breaking street date doesn't really matter. Not like it will chart anyway.

I figured it is a digital cut. This LP was originally only assembled on CD. Probably cut from the CD master from 1989. Who knows?? I still wanted it as I have a hard time finding original Groovies LPs.

Jeff Edwards likes this.
  7. Vinyl Addict

I'm not sure yet. Possibly though, I haven't been in a while. We usually skip a few before hitting it again. Always seems to be the same stuff, for the most part anyway.

8. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

The Rhino Machine Head was better than my purple vinyl copy of the 1997 remix and much, much improved over the 1997 companion purple vinyl standard reissue. Both are in the two record 1997 Anniversary set from the UK.
    It was a toss-up for me when comparing the Rhino to my Japanese, 1976 Warner Brothers pressing. If I remember correctly, I sold my original US pressing a few months ago because of the poor sound. The Rhino pressing is definitely worth purchasing considering the price of an original UK.

Now, on to the Faces Rhino and original US pressing.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  9. sgtpppr84

sgtpppr84 Forum Resident

Thanks for the comparison. I ordered my copy over the weekend and should be receiving it this week. It's my favorite Deep Purple album, so I'll be looking forward to checking it out.

10. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I have the original KG pressing of Machine Head and it's not bad, but it's not better than even my old WB LP with the Burbank label. I wonder why they didn't do a half-speed remaster like they recently did for In Rock and Fireball.

11. Paul Beatty

Paul Beatty Forum Resident

Anxious to hear your review of the Faces debut reissue. Machine Head DOES sound FANTASTIC!

12. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

i snagged faces and alice. faces has a few pops and a skip on the backside that i'm sure a deep cleaning can easily clean up. both discs are fun to look at and flat. neat packages. SQ of faces is definitely better than original US LP that i have, but it's not like the recordings are audiophile to begin with. i don't have another BDB to compare this one to, but it sounds very pleasant to my ears!

13. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I'm pretty sure it's because In Rock and Fireball are owned by Warner's (that's who did the nice sounding 1/2 speed masters), and Machine Head and beyond are owned by Universal (that's who did the lousy sounding box set and EU remasters).

I like KG's Machine Head. It finally has some bass to it.

Vinyl Addict and dkmonroe like this.
  14. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

I would concur with this statement. It took a lot of listening to both the original US pressing and the new Rhino pressing to come to that conclusion. It wasn't as obvious of a difference as I had expected. I find the percussion to be the best indicator in a shoot-out, and the Rhino edged out the original US to my ears. The Rhino was slightly more clear and present in that category. A MoFi 45rpm release would blow them both out of the water.

GentleSenator likes this.
  15. Fill Your Head

Fill Your Head Forum Resident

I've just got this and the sound is dynamite.I can't imagine it better.

16. dusttones

dusttones Forum Resident

Yeah, I picked this up over the weekend. Sounds good to me!

17. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Sigh. Just played Eliminator by ZZ Top in this series. Not good. Sounds digital even. :(

DoF and hi_watt like this.
  18. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

Reporting in on the two Faster Pussycat albums. The Debut and Wake Me. Both on black vinyl and limited to 2500.

I've only ever had the CDs. Happy to add the vinyl to the collection. Flat and silent. Very nicely done. All new vinyl should look so good.

The sound is good. Maybe a little better the the CDs. The first album seems to benefit the most.

I know someone with the original vinyl of both and the numbers in the dead wax are close but not exactly the same. The reissue places a RH01 in front of the original number. Which is the same. The reissue also says, "J. Lambert" as a kind of signature.

For $19.00 each - recommended if you like sleazy, sunset strip rock from the late 80s.

mick_sh likes this.
  19. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

Do you know who cut it and where it was pressed?

DoF likes this.
  20. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Unfortunately I do not. I did not see "CB" in the deadwax or any other recognizable scribblings.

DoF likes this.
  21. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

Thanks for letting us know!

LeeS likes this.
  22. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

Billion Dollar Babies... A thing of beauty. Great sound too. If it's really limited to 3,000 this is going to be a collector's item.

jon9091 and Vinyl Addict like this.
  23. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

It will be limited to 3,000 in green vinyl. Knowing Rhino, it will be unlimited in black.

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  24. davidkeith

davidkeith Senior Member

I bought this one as well. I haven't been able to put my finger on it, but it sounds odd to me. Low volume and muffled, side 1 more than side 2. On the plus side, the pressing seems to be getting quieter the more it's played. I haven't compared it to the CD yet.

I almost passed this one by, but every used "original" copy I've found has had big scratches.

LeeS likes this.
  25. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

I kinda like the sound on this one. Punchy!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.